Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Where should I move to in MT?

Growing up in Northeast North Dakota (arguably one of the worst places during winter) and then spending time in Fairbanks AK, cold is all relative to me now. In a weird way I enjoy a cold, snowy winter.
I can relate with those North Dakota winters. I'm from the mid northern part of ND (Turtle Mtn area) and I can remember winters where it made me wonder why people settled this land back then. This years winter hasn't been too bad as of now. 🤞

Relocated to the Bitterroot this spring, before the surge hit. No regrets as of yet, I can see the californication, but being from WA (regrettably) I'm still far and away what I've lived around for years. Me and the wife were tired of the drug and homeless issues, the insanity of the rat race, and just degrading quality of life that it was. We'd kind of decided a few years ago we were going to come to MT but didnt have a place nailed down. We honestly just lucked out/planets aligned perfectly I think. I went from one job to the next, listing/selling house and moving to MT in 5 weeks, lived out of my trailer for a month while new house closed (already under contract before old house closed and should've accelerated dates, but hindsight).
Most people I've met have reservations when they hear where I'm from, but they've all accepted me pretty quick once they get to know me

I have lived near Bozeman my whole life. Bozeman is a great town. The hospital is continually growing and getting better. They just added a NICU which is a great addition. It is home to Montana State University, just completing a second high school, it has great restaurants etc. On the down side it getting really busy. The housing market is crazy and expensive!! It just depends on what you are looking for. The surrounding communities are definitely worth looking at. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have!!

Interesting thread. Not sure how I missed this one.

We have been poking around, driving around and camping all over the central and western part of the state for a few years. I fell in love with Montana and a couple of the surrounding states about five years ago when I drove cross country with one of my daughters. My wife and I decided three years ago we would end up in Montana or Wyoming.

We are not too fond of people, or rather large concentrations of them. But I have to admit, after spending time in some really cool towns out west, my opinion of some clusters of humans has changed. As for where I currently still reside, they suck. We love to ski, hike, hunt and fish.

In June we hung around the paradise valley area and really enjoyed the place. Of course, by then the housing madness was in full swing and if you did not act fast, any and all over priced homes hitting the market were gobbled up. We were not in a position to make a move yet. I still had one kid finishing up college and she still lived at home. I would have to unravel my business interests, etc., etc. Plus, we really were not sure if we wanted to end up in that area. At the time, the realtor we were working with had a small townhouse in Livingston for sale. It was on the market for a month and it had not moved. It needed a little work, not much, and it was in an okay neighborhood. Not what I would call high end. It was the least expensive home on the market. We decided to look at it. Figured, hey if it is not horrible then we buy it, rent it out for a while, then move into and use it as a home base to figure out where the heck we want our forever home to be. So we bought it. Smartest stupid thing I ever did. My oldest daughter, who was living in Salt Lake wanted out of that crazy city so she moved into the house. When we visited in the fall I knocked on my neighbor's door to introduce myself. Before leaving, I told him if he ever wanted to sell, I would buy it. I closed on that one two weeks ago. So now I own the whole building.

My youngest daughter just wrapped up her MBA in accounting and just landed a job in Livingston. She gets married in June and then they are off to Montana. So, other than my folks, we will all be together for a while.

I keep a very close eye on the market. It is insane out there. I may be living in our little townhouse for several years if this continues. I am in no rush though. That market will eventually tank and tank hard. I have been working in banking and then commercial real estate for a total of thirty years. I have been through three real estate cycles that crashed hard. They all have the same common denominator; unrealistic pricing, monthly appreciation, and people just not giving a damn and buying it anyways. Add to that our current state of affairs. This economy is going to crash hard. Hold onto your cash because when it happens cash is king and great deals will be had.

I know this much. I have a home in Montana, I just need to get my ass there. Some good boots, a load carrying pack and a rubber raft are basically the only investments I need to make to enjoy the mountain life. Oh, and some good alpine touring gear. I am not dealing with ski resorts and social distancing. My social distancing will be in the backcountry :)

Appartments.com has a similar place, similar age build quality... 3 bed 2 bath, garage for $1,700.🤷‍♂️

That's still 150% increase in 5 years... and I would absolutely not be surprised if was rented for $2000 shortly. Never argued Bozeman isn't getting more expensive, just reflecting on the fact that it's still much cheaper for a lot of folks than where they are currently living.
Especially if they are coming from the Left Coast...

Take look at Lewistown for small town atmosphere. Can be cold in the winter but a pretty little town. We bought land in NW MT in the late 80’s and moved in 2003. Bought hunting land on the Musselshell 2006. Should have taken a closer look at Lewistown. MTG

Well, it looks like it's going to happen! After just three days on the market I have three offers on my house. I will be heading to Helena the last week in March...weather permitting.
Might as well move here. Everybody else is. Forgive me, but I don't like it. When I have to wait for traffic to make a right hand turn in Corvallis, Montana, I kind of reflect on what used to be. Being a multi generational Montanan doesn't give me any right to this state. But it damn sure isn't headed in a good direction. mtmuley

This is an interesting thread to me, as I'm newly retired (3 days). Montana is on my list.

Skiing is not of interest. Been there, done that. Now, I need what's left of my knees for bird hunting. It would be interesting to see a map of Montana with the better upland bird hunting bracketed, and then maybe the waterfowl.

My wife would be more interested in good grocery stores - and she has a point there.

Mostly, we are looking for a comfortable place with some acres (we have almost 30 here) and privacy without having to drive an hour for amenities.

This is an interesting thread to me, as I'm newly retired (3 days). Montana is on my list.

Skiing is not of interest. Been there, done that. Now, I need what's left of my knees for bird hunting. It would be interesting to see a map of Montana with the better upland bird hunting bracketed, and then maybe the waterfowl.

My wife would be more interested in good grocery stores - and she has a point there.

Mostly, we are looking for a comfortable place with some acres (we have almost 30 here) and privacy without having to drive an hour for amenities.
Get out your checkbook. Especially if you want acres. mtmuley

Might as well move here. Everybody else is. Forgive me, but I don't like it. When I have to wait for traffic to make a right hand turn in Corvallis, Montana, I kind of reflect on what used to be. Being a multi generational Montanan doesn't give me any right to this state. But it damn sure isn't headed in a good direction. mtmuley
My home town went from no grocery store and stop signs to stoplights to roundabouts... crazy

Back