Caribou Gear Tarp

Where should I move to in MT?

I’m glad that people don’t see Billings as a good place for outdoor recreation. I’ve enjoyed a lot of fishing and bird, deer, antelope, elk, and bear hunting within an hour of Billings.
The hunting and fishing in the area is solid. It seemed he was looking at hiking, biking, skiing, and stuff like that. I try to see the beauty in any place and the hunting would be the highlight of the area for me.

I had a neighbor in Billings that was a pharmacist I think it was, and he moved to Colstrip to take an IHS job which would pay back his student loans. I like Indians, Indian country and eastern Montana, but it sure isn’t for everybody.

I still think the Billings west end or the rim rocks are better places to live than anywhere in Bozeman or Missoula. Great views of the Beartooths. 45 minutes to all kinds of things where you’ll never see another person. 45 minutes from Bozeman is still a shit show unless you’re off trail at a random roadside spot.

Of the places I’ve lived though nothing beats Butte. Butte has more Montana left in it than anywhere. So much so, that it seems counterintuitive to be telling an out of stater about it on a public forum.
You can get yourself punched in the mouth in Butte without begging for it, but I sure like it there.
As an Anaconda boy I have been in many a scuffle in Butte! The Vu, M & M, and even the Old Scandia. You can’t beat Butte on Saint Patty’s Day. I have so many stories. My buddy dancing on the hood of a police car our senior year of high school, some drunk pissing on the crowd from the second floor of the M & M... a seriously unique place to grow up.

As an Anaconda boy I have been in many a scuffle in Butte! The Vu, M & M, and even the Old Scandia. You can’t beat Butte on Saint Patty’s Day. I have so many stories. My buddy dancing on the hood of a police car our senior year of high school, some drunk pissing on the crowd from the second floor of the M & M... a seriously unique place to grow up.
Somehow, I get the feeling that this endorsement is going to be just the thing Mr. Steve's wife needs to read to tip the scales to Butte.
:ROFLMAO:

We are in a similar boat, Wife is a resident, 2026 is our target date so far
1. Bozeman,
2. Kalispell SVC
3. Anchorage

We have similar size requirements (same reason), would like access to a ski resort, but don't want to be in a ski town. We grew up in one and tried like hell to get out as soon as we turned 18. I don't want to raise my kids in another one.

Helena and Butte don't have skiing... same with Durango.

Wyoming doesn't have anything that fits the bill, Utah is a hard pass, Idaho...maybe

It's a work in progress, and sometimes I think we might be happiest in Burlington.
Helena and Butte both have local ski hills.

2003 or maybe 04, watched Tanner Rosenthal do a double twister screamin' semen backflip off the gap below the cornice... still one of the most ridiculous tricks I've ever seen.
I’m too bad at skiing to even attempt it, but it’s a fun place to watch people who know what they’re doing.

Steve,
See the attached link to my Relocating to Montana:

Good luck and if you are ever in Helena....

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Mr--steve

thanks for starting this thread.

I have enjoyed reading the replies as I recently green lighted a project my son and daughter had been interested in doing for some time now. They are looking at ranch land in Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and Texas, although Texas and Alaska seem to give us our best overall Tax options, they are at the moment looking at land approx 50 minutes from Helena. It has a perfect blend of ownership/ lease---water/grass--mtn/flat with no buildings.

But there is also a ranch close to Delta Junction in Alaska that seems to have grabbed their attention as well. But today Montana has their attention and therefore this thread has been an interesting read.

Best of luck on your move

Yeah so does Grand Rapids what's your point.
If you’re taking about Grand Rapids, MI then Cannonsburg doesn’t qualify?! Spent my HS days sprinting up that thing 4-5 times every Tuesday in the summers. Being from MT, always had to chuckle that we used a ski area for conditioning. I don’t see any high schools in MT using any of the areas here to do sprints up.

Mr--steve

thanks for starting this thread.

I have enjoyed reading the replies as I recently green lighted a project my son and daughter had been interested in doing for some time now. They are looking at ranch land in Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and Texas, although Texas and Alaska seem to give us our best overall Tax options, they are at the moment looking at land approx 50 minutes from Helena. It has a perfect blend of ownership/ lease---water/grass--mtn/flat with no buildings.

But there is also a ranch close to Delta Junction in Alaska that seems to have grabbed their attention as well. But today Montana has their attention and therefore this thread has been an interesting read.

Best of luck on your move
Oh man Helena and Delta Junction are vastly different places! That's exciting. I've spent time in both so feel free to send me a message with specific questions.

Steve

Back