Where should I move to in Idaho!?

Irish52084

My job has a transfer list coming up in October and my Wife and I have decided to see if We can transfer to Idaho or possibly Montana.

We got to spend a lot of time in Coeur d'alene and we loved it there. We are also considering the Idaho Falls area and it may be climbing to the top of our list. Idaho Falls puts us in close proximity to a ton of things.

As for Montana I love the idea of Bozeman, but the winters are probably too much for my wife. We have to be a little careful with harsh winters because my wife has a nerve condition that get worse the colder and wetter it is.

Do you guys have any other suggestions or insights on Idaho and Montana?

I do have family in Stevensville and Hamilton but neither of those places really interest us.

Of those choices in ID, I'd pick ID Falls. Mostly for my preference for the type of country around there. Pretty easy drive from there to hunt 3 or even 4 states as No. UT really isn't that far.

"I'm talkin' about a place where the beer flows like wine. Where the beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talkin' about a little place called Aspen"

Not Idaho but a funny quote. I am from Helena, MT and the winters are pretty mild, same in Bozeman. Probably not as mimld is Idaho Falls, but not as bad as other places.

Those are pretty different places. Besides weather, what is important to you?

When I lived there Pocatello was very windy, especially in the winter. I'm guessing Idaho Falls is worse. Politics are determined by what agricultural interests want. I'm not sure Bozeman will have that much harsher winters. It gets very cold, but it doesn't last that long and it is usually sunny.

Coure d'alene has milder weather... I'm guessing the winters are relatively cloudy. You have a real city of Spokane just down the road.

The panhandle of Idaho has always been intriguing due to being able to day hunt public land whitetail in three different states.

If you are looking for winters that are mild, I would recommend Lewiston.

Lewiston has an elevation of 756 ft above sea level.

E. Idaho has a strong Mormom influence. If your not Mormom, you'll be an outsider.

I lived close to Idaho Falls for a few years and the winters were pretty rough. Rougher than Bozeman, in my opinion, and definitely Rougher than northern Idaho. But, there is great fishing and decent hunting.

Those are pretty different places. Besides weather, what is important to you?

When I lived there Pocatello was very windy, especially in the winter. I'm guessing Idaho Falls is worse. Politics are determined by what agricultural interests want. I'm not sure Bozeman will have that much harsher winters. It gets very cold, but it doesn't last that long and it is usually sunny.

Coure d'alene has milder weather... I'm guessing the winters are relatively cloudy. You have a real city of Spokane just down the road.

CDA has the mildest weather, but a less than optimal location.
Snow is a big consideration for us, more so for my wife's sake.

Idaho Falls seems to have the best location. And if I have to move, I want to be close to hunting and fishing.

I don't think I mentioned that we have 2 children, ages 2 and 6. Anyone have insight on the respective public schools?

Decent entertainment and proximity to an airport are bonuses.

I'm able to transfer my job if a position becomes available so we need to submit 2 choices and then we wait for the call.

Last edited:
I lived in Idaho Falls for 9 years and frozen my nuts off during the winter! It may be sunny and blue skies but will be 20 below. Currently live in CDA and won't ever move. Lived in Twin Falls for a couple of years and maybe shoveled my walk twice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back