Where is the best place to get good ol' paper maps?

faster

I'm looking to find a good place to buy a paper map of the Flat Tops Wilderness Area. This is my very first Elk hunt and I don't know anyone personally that has been Elk hunting. I've been doing as much research to make my first time as successful as possible. I bought the Elk Nut video, the Elk 101 University DVD, the Colorado Hunting Map GPS chip. After using the map tool on the CO website, and using the Garmin Basecamp software with my CO Hunting Map GPS chip, I really would like a good ol' set of paper maps. I really don't know what type of map I'm looking for. I called CO hunt planner line and the person referred me to the US forest service to purchase a map. Unfortunately for me, they are about to release I new map and don't currently have any for sale. Since I hunt the 1st rifle season, I'm simply not sure if it will be released in time for me to use. Anyone here have any recommendations on another good hunting map?

I use google earth. You can add a topo "layer" that uses usgs maps stitched together. Print as pdf or direct. I usually print 11x17 of the area i want to hunt.

The layer is one of the many built in to GE

The National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps are really good also. They don't show unit boundaries, but you can sketch them in if you need. Roads/trails and everything are a lot more clear on the Nat Geo maps than any other maps I've used. In some cases, the foot trails have moved since the map was created (or additional ones have formed), but I still find it very helpful. Your GPS map chip should help with the trails once you are there too, but these maps are nice for getting a general idea on how you want to get in to the wilderness. I have used the Flat Tops maps specifically.

Back