Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Where do you buy bulk ammo?

thomas89

In regards to the post about 7MM-08 ammo at a smoking deal ($15/20 if memory serves), what are some of the places we have used to buy ammunition in bulk to save some money?

I was a little shocked at just how low those prices were, around $1 for a shell, that in a box of 20 would go for about $2 per round. It certainly seemed too good to be true, whether or not it is remains unseen.

I have used bulkammo and luckygunner before for 5.56 ammunition, but have never been able to find a great price on loaded hunting ammunition.

Where have you bought hunting ammunition in bulk before?

I am curious as to how low manufacturers can actually go on premium loaded hunting ammunition. Seems like most stores have around the same $2 for a .270 Win.

Anyone with any insight on this?

in the last 5 years, I've made two orders of rifle ammo. The current 7-08 deal mentioned and some .223 from Grafs.

The 7-08 is cheap because it's on closeout. Federal quit making it. It's normally $40/box. Midway has it on clearance as well. I should probably buy more of it......

I buy my handgun ammo from freedom munitions. It's good stuff.

I have all the stuff for making bulk ammo in my basement. I can keep all my guns fed without hoping I can find a good deal. A good friend just bought a Dillon 550B. Makes pistol ammo fast. mtmuley

I'm like mtmuley. I make my own ammo. IMO, the cost of a basic handloading setup is easily and quickly recovered over the price of all but the cheapest of the cheap ammo. I can generally beat the cost and with better components. Handloading will make every rifle you own more interesting...

T Bone did they quit making the 7MM-08 in that loading or what? It seemed they had a ton of different Federal loadings for well below what a guy would find them at retail, were the rest on close out?

The start up cost for me somewhat shied me away from getting a reloading kit but I may have to end up going that route anyways. Smart to do for 5.56 not so much, but for .270 absolutely.

T Bone did they quit making the 7MM-08 in that loading or what? It seemed they had a ton of different Federal loadings for well below what a guy would find them at retail, were the rest on close out?

The start up cost for me somewhat shied me away from getting a reloading kit but I may have to end up going that route anyways. Smart to do for 5.56 not so much, but for .270 absolutely.
IMO, smarter for a 5.56 as you'll shoot more of it...

$150 (Lee) to $200 (RCBS) will get you a kit that has everything but dies in it for making ammo. There are higher priced and "better" kits as well, but I've yet to wear our or need more than the economy RCBS Partner press that I started with. It doesn't take much room either. I started with a shelf on L brackets in a closet for the press and set the rest up on the computer desk.

I buy my handgun ammo from freedom munitions. It's good stuff.

Same here--- I just ordered 500 rounds. I sat down and did the math on reloading the exact same round I bought from them myself and there was no difference in cost. As long as it stays that way, no sense in reloading my pistol rounds. If it changes, a progressive reloader will be in my future.

I jumped on the Mass Ammo 7/08 deal for a couple of reasons. ~ I needed new brass anyway, ~ If, IF they shoot well, in my rifle, I'm set for a couple/three of seasons. If not, see my 1st reason. ~ I'd be hard pressed to reload at the same price.

I understand that is a close out, with prices the way they are, and ammo iffy to come by, it only made good economics to stock up. Next paycheck I'm ordering 100 more if they still have them !

I jumped on the Mass Ammo 7/08 deal for a couple of reasons. ~ I needed new brass anyway, ~ If, IF they shoot well, in my rifle, I'm set for a couple/three of seasons. If not, see my 1st reason. ~ I'd be hard pressed to reload at the same price.

I understand that is a close out, with prices the way they are, and ammo iffy to come by, it only made good economics to stock up. Next paycheck I'm ordering 100 more if they still have them !

Same here gunner. If they print I'll hunt with em & use the handloads & dial for longer shot scenarios. The brass is worth about half of what we paid per cartridge.

I order a lot of 10mm target rounds from freedom Ammo, been good stuff so far. I used to get spirit Ammo locally for a fair price, until I had a double charge make my G20 go kaboom. That sucked and they are out of business now. I contacted the former owner and he said " the kid who was on the 10mm press was new and may have had issues with the Dillon press" promised to pay for replacing my pistol but never did. Advice I got from one of my LEO instructors was to never buy ammo from someone you can't sue for 10 million. It took a long long time for me to not weigh ever round of "store bought Ammo" for that G20.
Double a85, the real cost savings in hand loading come from reloading your saved brass, I can see your point if one had to buy new brass all the time.
Anyone have any idea where the head stamp (A ONE) brass that freedom uses is made? I've been colecting it from my range sessions but have yet to pull the handle down on any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back