When to replace tumbler media?

VOLhunter

I started reloading about 2 years ago for hunting rounds and some 5.56 for national match competitions. I have used up all the new brass I purchased and am now in the full reloading cycle. I have tumbled about 200 rounds of 7RM, 100 of 30-06, and about 500 rounds of 5.56. The last tumble cycles seemed to take much longer and the brass was left covered with media residue. I'm using the Lyman corncob green. How often do you guys normally change out your tumbler media? I wish I would have gone the wet tumbler method from the beginning but this is what I have. Thanks

I started reloading about 2 years ago for hunting rounds and some 5.56 for national match competitions. I have used up all the new brass I purchased and am now in the full reloading cycle. I have tumbled about 200 rounds of 7RM, 100 of 30-06, and about 500 rounds of 5.56. The last tumble cycles seemed to take much longer and the brass was left covered with media residue. I'm using the Lyman corncob green. How often do you guys normally change out your tumbler media? I wish I would have gone the wet tumbler method from the beginning but this is what I have. Thanks
The media lasts a long time...you can buy that liquid stuff like flitz that you can pour in too that will make it last longer and cuts cleaning time down.

When my media starts getting dark/dirty, I'll break up a paper towel or two and throw it in with the brass. Pulls some of the grime off the media and reduces residue.

Another thing, is when the media starts looking real bad, I'll use it to clean up the worst of the worst brass I have and then replace the media. If you don't let your brass go too long, its much easier to clean and the media stays fresh a lot longer.

Finally, I would say I replace media about every 3rd year.

I always add a little bit of the liquid polish to the media when I start. I prefer the Dillon Rapid polish but others will works. I save my old media for when I'm cleaning range brass. I let the old media take the hit and then finish it with fresh media if it needs it.

I keep walnut on hand and then swap it out for corn cob for the really dirty stuff. Otherwise it’s a few dollops of liquid brass cleaner into the corn cob an run it. I’ve ran mine for overnight with no issues.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know you could add liquid to the dry media. I'll pick up some brass cleaner and give it a shot.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know you could add liquid to the dry media. I'll pick up some brass cleaner and give it a shot.
Run the polish paste in the corn cob for at least a half hour before putting the brass in. It needs time to coat the corn cob. Otherwise you will get a clump stuck to the case and it will never clean. Worse yet is when it gets stuck inside the case.

If it’s more of a liquid than you can do less time.

used dryer anti-static sheets will pull a ton of green dust out of your media.

Lyman media restorer works pretty good.

I put my old media in a 16x12x4 screen sieve (got it at the "Beyond" section in Bed, Bath, and Beyond) and run water through it in the laundry sink until it runs out the bottom clean again. When it dries it will be as green as it was when you bought it. If you are in a hurry, (and momma don't mind) you can spread the wet media on a cookie sheet and dry it in the oven

Adding too much liquid polish will make the media less abrasive and cause long polish times.
If you are doubtful it's getting it done the way it should, you can always pull half out and add some dry fresh corn cobb or walnut hull.
Ordinary use takes several years or more to wear out.

I think you can go to extreme's in both directions. Dump to soon and put stuff in in trying to get it to work longer. I don't think I'd really care to wash my cob, what's a new bunch cost anyway. I don't put in any additives of any kind and when I can put case's in the tumbler and run it all night and not be happy with what I have, time for new! Restoring old cob for the tumbler seems like trying it with an old man. I meant woman! You can do a boob job, lift her chin, smooth out the creases and when you get done it still an old woman!

Back