Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

When Men were Men

I've posted this one before. c.1972. Me and my dad on the left. John and my BFF Barry on the right.

As a 10 Y.O. with major buck fever, I emptied my M94 30-30 at this buck, then took off down the hill chasing it. This was the second time that year I had cycled six through that rifle and not even got hair. John (upper right) dropped the buck on the run with one shot from his open sighted M99 in 300 (or 303?) Savage. I don't remember how we got it out. We often hunted on horseback, but were not this day.

My dad was so proud of his newly acquired Rem 742 in .30-06. The 30-30 came to me and my brother. I've since killed many deer with it. It's in my safe today.

Shirt pockets were for Winston 100's in those days.
Miles buck (2).jpeg

View attachment 267663

My dad and uncle are 2nd, 3rd from the left in the back row. 1962 Sonoma County CA. Story is after a group deer drive hunt as they were heading back to the ranch, the dog "Jill" jumped out of the truck and ran to a tiny patch of brush on the outer edge of the canyon they had just hunted. She jumped 4 bucks out of the bruch patch and they got all 4.

Dad said that truck was coming down the hill, fishtailing on the dry grass. He got the gate open at the bottom of the hill just in time for them to come sliding through. Then at the bottom, the story got told... A bottle of Early Times came out and Charlie Hall (the tall stocky fellow on the right) took three or four good swallows and hands the bottle to "Steiny" (Center 2nd row, ballcap and jean jacket) . Steiny follows suit for one and a half swallows, sputters and grimices and says " It looks a helluva lot better when you drink it Cha' than it tastes when I do!"

Dad is 81 now and my uncle is 78. 13 years ago they helped me pack out elk camp 10 miles in the wilderness during a snowstorm so that toughness is bred in 'em...

I made a thread with my Dad and Uncle awhile back.

1678294317126.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure most of the men mentioned here would be pissed by people wasting their time and not caring about it.

Edit: I won’t speak for others, but my grandfather who died at 82 five years ago was the toughest man I’ve ever known and wouldn’t tolerate people wasting his time. Oh, and he used a debit/credit card.😉
Interesting take. If you don't do it the way I do then you are wasting my time. To each their own I suppose.

My father just turned 80 last Sept. If he so much as heard you sigh at someone over using a check he would most likely beat the ever-lovin shit out of you with his giant 3 tab check book he uses. ;)

I got a bull just before dark one night while hunting solo. Fortunately, my friend showed up at camp later that night. The next day, we decided to pack the meat out in one trip since it was all down hill. With that weight, the frame on the Dwight Schuh hunting pack I lent my friend bent into a U shape and we had to add some reinforcement to it.

View attachment 265449
Had the same pack with my first bull. Not awesome.

Interesting take. If you don't do it the way I do then you are wasting my time. To each their own I suppose.

My father just turned 80 last Sept. If he so much as heard you sigh at someone over using a check he would most likely beat the ever-lovin shit out of you with his giant 3 tab check book he uses. ;)
I’m sorry that you and I have derailed this great thread, as I am really enjoying it. I will bow out. Have a good day.

mid 80's, one of only two branched antler bulls my grandfather ever killed. Rifle has always interested me. I inherited all of his guns and that wasn't one of them. Not sure what it was or what happened to it.
1693521386223.png
He immigrated from Switzerland as a young man and married into a very bigoted family that never invited him to the annual elk camp until very late in life (he was in his 60's). By then he'd loaned them all so much money that they couldn't help but extend the offer.

Saw the title of this thread and legit thought it was about a new Cam Hanes video

mid 80's, one of only two branched antler bulls my grandfather ever killed. Rifle has always interested me. I inherited all of his guns and that wasn't one of them. Not sure what it was or what happened to it.
View attachment 290250
He immigrated from Switzerland as a young man and married into a very bigoted family that never invited him to the annual elk camp until very late in life (he was in his 60's). By then he'd loaned them all so much money that they couldn't help but extend the offer.
I think it might be a Ruger 77 magnum, possibly 458. I don't see a right side trigger block safety or striker safety so presume it's a tang safety. Glad your granddad finally was accepted ... sort of. A shame he had to buy his way in. Sounds like you learned something from that. He would be glad and proud. I presume he was Jewish and that's what the bigotry was about? Thanks for sharing.

I think it might be a Ruger 77 magnum, possibly 458. I don't see a right side trigger block safety or striker safety so presume it's a tang safety. Glad your granddad finally was accepted ... sort of. A shame he had to buy his way in. Sounds like you learned something from that. He would be glad and proud. I presume he was Jewish and that's what the bigotry was about? Thanks for sharing.
Nope, it was just because he was an immigrant that didn't speak english very well, so he was pretty quiet and didn't say much ever. Interestingly they did learn pretty quick to not say a lot to his face; he brought over a small crate of boxing trophies on the boat with him.

1695683001768.png

Klamath County Museum

oospSdnetr1Ystr71cm12t259ug Aa:39m6806t1a9Mt9d93 41y04ee208 ·

DEER CAMP, c. 1920 –

Klamath County Museum’s Photo of the Week for Sept. 24, 2023, shows a group of men at a deer hunting camp.

It’s apparent the group had some success in their harvest, but nothing else about the group is known.

This image was included in a large batch of local photos donated to the museum in 2009. Judging from the automobiles in the background, we’d estimate the date at around 1920. And judging from the timber and brush, we’d guess the group might have been hunting somewhere in the Gerber area.

The man in front with a stogie in his mouth is holding a very fine rack. The taller man near the center appears to have been the one field dressing the bucks.

If anyone can identify any of the men in the photo, we’d like to have that information at the Museum.

I got a bull just before dark one night while hunting solo. Fortunately, my friend showed up at camp later that night. The next day, we decided to pack the meat out in one trip since it was all down hill. With that weight, the frame on the Dwight Schuh hunting pack I lent my friend bent into a U shape and we had to add some reinforcement to it.

View attachment 265449
I have that pack as well the belt ripped away from the cloth it was stiched to. Hauled a lot of gear and critters with it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back