Whats your most accurate rifle?

You know if we hunters would shoot a three round group to zero and it was 1 1/2 inches or less, and spend the rest of our time on shooting from hunting positions with slings/shooting sticks we'd likely be better off. Doesn't apply to competitive shooters of course.

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm-08 that shoots 1 MOA consistently, it was a hand me down from the 70’s. It’s a fun gun but isn’t compatible with all ammo. But recently picked up a Christensen ridgeline in 300 PRC topped off with a Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 as a 30 cal hunting rifle and it’s on another level in terms of accuracy and just being bada**. Guess it depends on your price range and what your priorities are in terms of hunting vs range shooting. Best of luck on your quest!

The Tikka T3X SS in 300 WSM has been the tack driver for me. Don't have the data for group size but it rings a steel plate out to 600 yards. All I can ask for out of good hunting gun!

I shoot a .300 wsm custom built rifle that is extremely accurate (unlike its owner). When the question arises "is the wizard or the wand the cause of a miss"...its the wizard.
I can relate to this. I have a Sako TRG-42 in 338 LM that I have shot enough good groups with that I know that any flier or miss is all me.

Howa 1500 308 win bull barrel version I turned into a target rifle. Shoots handloads 5 shot groups just above 1/2”. Love this gun. Shoots anything down the pipe well.

So far it’s a tikka T3 superlite in 06. Factory 165 accubonds usually go into .5-.75 at 100 but I have got them down to .3 once. I have a new Christensen Ridgeline in 300wsm in the safe as we speak that I have yet to shoot but have high expectations for.

Mine would probably be my wife's Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223. Totally stock rifle. .65" 5shot groups @ 100yards with either handloads or factory Nosler ammo.

You know if we hunters would shoot a three round group to zero and it was 1 1/2 inches or less, and spend the rest of our time on shooting from hunting positions with slings/shooting sticks we'd likely be better off. Doesn't apply to competitive shooters of course.
I partly agree. I want a gun that is as accurate as I can make it, and want to tune a load to shoot as well as possible, but with a well made rifle, once a load is tuned, shooting the way you would in the field is the primary way you should be shooting your hunting rifle.

Didn’t seem to help much this year. :(

I partly agree. I want a gun that is as accurate as I can make it, and want to tune a load to shoot as well as possible, but with a well made rifle, once a load is tuned, shooting the way you would in the field is the primary way you should be shooting your hunting rifle.

Didn’t seem to help much this year. :(
Different game shooting at a live animal under conditions you can't control. mtmuley

Ive had some real cheap rifles and real expensive ones and its always a surprise which will be a shooter. Some cheapo rifles with crap ammo shoot easy sub moa and some expensive rifles I had to fight to try and get a decent group.

Just curious to see whats your most accurate rifle?

Mine (as of now, still havent shot my new xbolt) is a weatherby vanguard s2 in .243 shooting federal fusion, this is a 1/4 moa gun all day with that ammo, most factory ammo is .5 - .75 and didnt even bother with any handloads. I have a cheaper Nikon scope that I am have been hesitant to replace because it does the job, but if I had nicer glass I know I would shoot this gun more. Question is should I just go vx3 or pony up the cash for the vx5
I have always had the point of view Warren Page (old outdoor life writer), only accurate rifles are pretty. I think I put my accuracy definition in two types, small caliber varmint rounds (17's, 20's, 22's , 6mm) from heavy barrel rifles where i consider sub 1/2 minute acceptable. My 6PPC and 556 Ackley still shoot sub .5 groups and have had over 3-4,000 rounds through both. Big bore accuracy from hunting weight rifles I think sub MOA is the threshold and if I could not figure out how to make them deliver they got sold/traded away. My 7mm's, 30's, 338. 35, 375 all deliver MOA, even the big stuff 416, 458 and 505 Gibbs all could put 3 shots into 1 1/2, but was not really relevant. The groups in the picture, two from the 556 Ackley, 5 shot .2 or smaller, a 5 shot 7X57 in the tape, scope adjusted and then 2 shot confirmation 2 inch high at 100. Shilen and Hart barrels, trued Model 70 pre 64 actions and either synthetic stock/laminate with aluminum bedding blocks and epoxy. Loaned the 7X57 to a young gal last season and she shot a bull at 195 yards and I think she really did not care about group size!IMG_0128 2.JPG

Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag, 120gr Nosler ballistic tip. Followed by my Ruger #1 in 22-250, forget the specifics. I spent the time building loads for each one and am very happy.

Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag, 120gr Nosler ballistic tip. Followed by my Ruger #1 in 22-250, forget the specifics. I spent the time building loads for each one and am very happy.
Did you tweak the rifle? I have't touched my #1 7 mag..shoots 140TTSX and 130TSX loads under an inch.

Back in 1997 I made a decision to head out west for the first time in the fall of 1998. I spent every chance I could in the spring and summer with my brand new model 70 in .270 shooting at wood chucks in the fields around mid Ohio. Practiced by walking and upon seeing a chuck, taking a sit and shooting just like JOC outlined in his writings. When the time came the next fall, when I bumped those cow elk in the timber, I took a sit, found the cows, and when one made the mistake of stopping for a quick look, BOOM... 150 yard shot was second nature. My first elk.

My T3X in .308 is very accurate in a couple loads. It really has a love affair with 165gn Interbonds on top of 45.5gn of Varget. That load/rifle is consistently .5 MOA. Same gun shoots 165gn Fed TBTs sub-MOA as well with H4895 (43.3gns, I think).

I also have a Remington 700 in 7mm-08 that is very accurate, 3/4 MOA, in several loads. I kinda have that one shelved at the moment because I've been working a lot on a 280AI, and just wanted to use my .270 most of this past hunting season. But seriously, every time I shoot that .308 or 7-08 I tend to go away wondering why I mess with anything else.

it's a toss up. my Piercision Rifles 28N, sill shoot in the .3s i have a 700 PSS in .223 that will put 10 rounds in a group you can completely cover with a Dime. but I kind of deem those as Specialty rifles, and not general hunting rigs, so maybe I shoudl break them into 2 Categories. in a hunting rifle category, its a toss up between my 700 BDL 7 Rem Mag and my Model 70 280

Stock Sako A7 in .30-06. Really likes 180 grain loads. One ragged hole with no problem shooting Hornady Interlocks when I do my part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back