MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Whats your most accurate rifle?

davecz

Ive had some real cheap rifles and real expensive ones and its always a surprise which will be a shooter. Some cheapo rifles with crap ammo shoot easy sub moa and some expensive rifles I had to fight to try and get a decent group.

Just curious to see whats your most accurate rifle?

Mine (as of now, still havent shot my new xbolt) is a weatherby vanguard s2 in .243 shooting federal fusion, this is a 1/4 moa gun all day with that ammo, most factory ammo is .5 - .75 and didnt even bother with any handloads. I have a cheaper Nikon scope that I am have been hesitant to replace because it does the job, but if I had nicer glass I know I would shoot this gun more. Question is should I just go vx3 or pony up the cash for the vx5

Tikka T3 SS 30-06 with the factory stock (I spray painted it and swapped recoil pads) consistently shoots anything I feed it into a sub-moa group, and it’s favorite loads close to half that. The rest of my rifles shoot sub-moa with their pet loads, and several will shoot youth loads at sub-moa. None are what most would call “expensive” rifles (basic Rem 700s, Savage 10/110s, and an old 760... even my CMMG M4 shoots moa or better with most hand loads)

My A-Bolt II in .22-250 with a bit of basic work shooting custom loads will put 5 into a quarter of an inch. Recently swapped out my VX-3 for a Vortex Viper HST. The surprising one is my Ruger American .270 that will put 3 into .33. VX-3 on that one as well.

I have an american in .308 that I picked up when they had a crazy deal at cabelas, that one shocked me as well. Bone stock with hornady american whitetail .75 at 100.

Bought a Mauser M18 7mm rem mag on Europtics and have been impressed for a $400 rifle.

Good thread, been looking into a good reasonably priced rifle for my girlfriend who insists she wants to start hunting, I don't know if it a dream come true or nightmare!(jokes, jokes, love sharing the outdoors with anyone who is interested)

Savage 12BR - 28” bull barrel, 6mmBR Norma - shoots sub .25 MOA out to 800y. But not a hunting rifle. For hunting rifle it would be my Tikka T3X SS lite in a B&C stock in .308Win. under .5 MOA with very little tweaking of the handload But I expect my Begara Premier Highlander in 280AI to top it after I get the time to really tune in the hand load. Also, for me MOA is at least the average of three 5 shot groups. Preferable 7 shot groups. Too many folks point to a single good 3 shot group.

Savage 12BR - 28” bull barrel, 6mmBR Norma - shoots sub .25 MOA out to 800y. But not a hunting rifle. For hunting rifle it would be my Tikka T3X SS lite in a B&C stock in .308Win. under .5 MOA with very little tweaking of the handload But I expect my Begara Premier Highlander in 280AI to top it after I get the time to really tune in the hand load. Also, for me MOA is at least the average of three 5 shot groups. Preferable 7 shot groups. Too many folks point to a single good 3 shot group.

I agree, 5 shot groups and not just one is a good measure. And I didnt specify but was thinking hunting rifles, I like to shoot but all my rifles are hunting rifles... well except for the .50bmg for now

Cheap 700 sps varmint 308 less than moa with great regularity. I have a sendero 300 wm i have done .5 at 200 but not consistently.

I agree, 5 shot groups and not just one is a good measure. And I didnt specify but was thinking hunting rifles, I like to shoot but all my rifles are hunting rifles... well except for the .50bmg for now
I don't know if this is a common thing or not but my grandfather shot silhouette matches and their old rule when grouping rifles was 5 shots for calibers under .25 and 3 shots for higher. They would shoot multiple groups of course but they would only brag on the tightest groups. His main focus was always killing deer though.

A M70 Classic Stainless in 7mm RM. No mods, not even bedded. Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42.
Shoots 150 grain Federal blue box 1/2 MOA all day long.

I want to work up some Hammer loads for it, but would I actually improve that?

Tikka 270 t3 lite ss with B&C stock. Barnes 130 factory at .78", accubond 130 handloads at .75". But I still need to do some tweaking for the reloads.

Honestly I have an old 22 Ruger level action that does similar groups all day with dirt cheap ammo.

I have a Christensen 30 Nosler that shoots well with my hand loads. I usually shoot about 30 rounds before loading another batch, and then shoot one 100 yard group to check zero, then I shoot steel out to about 1200 yards. Typical 3 shot 100 yard group is around .5”. Pic of typical 100 yard group

Attachments

• 5728AE2E-AE5F-4230-B35E-74C2DE5D395F.png
    5728AE2E-AE5F-4230-B35E-74C2DE5D395F.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back