Whats your most accurate rifle?

When I do my part I have 5 rifles hunting rifles that shoot under and 1 to .75 of an inch at 100 yards. My most recent is a Tikka in 6.5 creed more,two Kimber Classic selects that are in 270 and 300WM, a Forbes 24 (predecessor to the Fieldcraft) in a 270. The most accurate is a SAKO 85 in 30/06. Many groups of 165 are around .5 inches.

I think my most accurate rifle is an Anschutz Model 1422 in .22lr. I guess it's circa 1980, West Germany. I really don't know what kind of groups it is capable of, but it's a far better gun than I am a shooter.

My most accurate center-fire rifle is a Steyr-Mannlicher tactical model in .308. I pretty much use it for all my hunting now. Even with my limited abilities, I get .75" groups with it shooting Nosler Partitions. And that's "real world" groups. In Hunttalk Forum World, that's like one hole. :LOL:

It is refreshing to see real honesty. All the one hole groups are by everyone else. I can’t believe that I am the only unlucky guy that gets guns that shoot 1 inch groups and my trucks only get 14 miles per gallon.

The two rifles i've owned chambered in 6.5x47 have both been more accurate than me. Current one is a lone peak action, 28" MTU contoured benchmark. I can't tell you exactly how accurate it is because I can't shoot well enough. I shot 5 shot groups with 5 loads last weekend, all bugholes. Frequently makes ragged holes.

Browning A Bolt II (completely stock, no modifications); Leupold 4.5-14x50; Barnes 150g 7mm TTSX factory ammo.

Attachments

• Shot group dime size.jpg
    Shot group dime size.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 0
My least expensive gun, a Savage 110 chambered in .270Win. outperforms my .257 Weatherby Vanguard and my .325WSM Browning A-bolt Medallion. Go figure. Guess I just got lucky with the Savage. Though I have heard a lot of people over the years say that Savage is a pretty accurate gun for the money.

My least accurate is a Winchester model 70 chambered in .223 WSSM.

I splurged about 5 years ago on a custom 7 Rem Mag (the most powerful rifle known to man) Its got a dated 700 Action with a Rock Creek #3 Barrel and glass bedded in an HS Precision Stock. It shoots 168g Bergers and as long as I can pay attention, it will stay under half-MOA. I'm confident with it and I think that's more important than anything.

Tikka T3X in 7mm-08. Plenty accurate for my shooting/hunting needs!
What ammo do you find shoots best with this rifle? My dad picked up the same gun last year and he has struggled finding hunting ammo that shoots well out of it. The best so far has been Hornady Precision Hunter 150 grain ELD-X.

What ammo do you find shoots best with this rifle? My dad picked up the same gun last year and he has struggled finding hunting ammo that shoots well out of it. The best so far has been Hornady Precision Hunter 150 grain ELD-X.

The best groups came from Nosler Trophy Grade 140 grain Accubonds and Remington Core Lokts 140 grain.

I’m hoping this ammo shortage slows down so I can get some more NAB. According to the internet, Core Lokts no longer work on antelope, deer, elk, sheep, and moose ... 😉

When it down to Brass Tacks & Tight Groups I can't choose one above the other. My Weatherby VGS 7RM won me a bronze medal in the NC state shooting Olympics. My little Rem 600 308 has printed 3 shots that were covered under a dime (took years of work yo get it there). Black Beauty, a Ruger 77 with a boat paddle stock & blued barrel will/can hum along all day long with most anything around the 2750 fps for 140's, or 2900 for 120's. I gave up worrying about it, wasting time, money and energy over the Mo'Betta, Mo' Accurate' Mo' Speed trap too many of us blindly drive down a road to nowhere. I now only hunt with Black Beauty, 140 AB's at 2760, or my 338 Fed with 210 PT's at 2575. Nothing has walked away from either on the 1st shot.

Mine is a Bergara B14 HMR in .22-250 Rem. First run at a handload workup with 55 grain NBT over Varget produced satisfactory results so I stuck with it.

Final load selection. One shot, adjustment, three shot group.
IMG_0845 (1).jpg

Ran straight over to 400 yards next and this was the result.

IMG_0887 (2).jpg

It continues to deliver the same results. I know the sun shines on a dog's ass now and again, but I feel lucky to have landed a sub $1000 factory rifle that is this agreeable.

Back