Caribou Gear Tarp

What's your go-to Hunting Pack?

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab here. With three load cells and the daypack lid I can pack in enough for a 7 day hunt. I haven't tried longer but I do have room for more food. Once at camp the three load cells are stored away whether hung in a tree if loaded with food, or used as a pillow with my extra clothes + small pack pillow. The third bag holds all toiletries,food prep stuff, and any extra gear. Yes the crew cab is heavier than the newer MR stuff. I purchased a Marshall two years ago and just couldn't get it to fit like the CC so I sold it.

I use the CC for whitetails in Missouri as well as my back pack for any shed hunting trips. It just plain fits me so I really don't even realize it is on.

I finally upgraded from an old Kelty that I broke packing my bull out this year to an Exo 4800 Born and Raised Outdoors edition. I should've done it a long time ago. My pack was one of the last pieces of gear on my list to upgrade and it should've been one of the first

Another Beartooth 80 vote here. Haven’t hunted with it yet but agree with the previous comments about it cinching down well enough for a day hunt, but also plenty of room for a week long stay...I like the versatility. And I wanted internal pockets and the 270 Deg zipper which they don’t offer on anything else besides the sawtooth (not big enough for my purposes).

It’s built like a tank. I look forward to using it this fall (assuming the draws are good to me).

or for short 1/2 day type hunts or tree stand sits, my super stealthy little Badlands Silent Reaper.

Had MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier. They’re all good and solid. Current is a SG Sky 5100 that’s about 6 or 7 years old. I use it hard and it’s held up well. There was some abrasion that added up over the years in the bottom panel, they just fixed it for $20.

Eberlestock Just One works for carrying a load and the gun scabbard is great.
I like it in the Morning go out before sunrise hands free and evening after dark.
I have carried Elk Caribou & Deer and had loads in it extremely heavy. Still in great shape and it’s around 10 years old.

that's great info. was considering the beartooth or going smaller with a pintler
So I have both of these, and have had some heavy packouts with both. If I am just going out for the day, I'm not taking the beartooth. Even though I like the new frame and find it more comfortable, it has a fair about of straps to deal with and just prefer a smaller bag . I got it for longer multiday trips. Another option would be the metcalf, prob right in the middle of these two if your set on a mystery ranch. I have been seeing some of the old framed pintlers popping up on camofire lately for a pretty good deal.

So I have both of these, and have had some heavy packouts with both. If I am just going out for the day, I'm not taking the beartooth. Even though I like the new frame and find it more comfortable, it has a fair about of straps to deal with and just prefer a smaller bag . I got it for longer multiday trips. Another option would be the metcalf, prob right in the middle of these two if your set on a mystery ranch. I have been seeing some of the old framed pintlers popping up on camofire lately for a pretty good deal.
not set on Mystery Ranch but I do like their packs. This is a great breakdown of a lot of popular brands and their fit

I expected to buy a smaller bag like the sawtooth, but I’ve found the beartooths to compress up really well for day hunts. In the picture the main pouch has a water bladder and my kill kit. I don’t really need to get into it through the course of the day. Smaller pouch has lunch in it at the time of the pic, with room for layers as they come off. It doesn’t flop around or cause any trouble compared to a smaller pack. The one thing I don’t like is the fabric is louder than their past models.ADE96CCB-845D-47D3-9C3E-C3794AC9CD37.jpeg

This year I upgraded to a Stone Glacier Evo 3300, so far I love it. Going ultralight, you give up something, but this pack hauled out elk for my son, and I packed out an entire mule deer (bone in), with spotter, tripod, rifle, and all the goods. I enjoy the light weight of the pack, and especially how small the pack can compress. This pack weighs less than 4 pounds.

Before this pack, my every day hunting pack was an Eberlestock Dragonfly for the past 13 years. Great pack, I really didn’t think I’d ever replace it. But I did, ONLY for weight. I’ve hauled numerous elk, deer, and pronghorn with it, often surprising myself with how much it will haul. This pack weighs nearly 9 pounds though.

+1 for Myster Ranch. Personally I have not been able to find a more "versatile, do it all pack" Than the pop-up series of packs. Pop-up 28 or 38 get my vote. My personal is a 2nd gen PU 28

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
looking for a good hunting pack recommendation for elk and mule deer. Biggest concerns are light enough to haul around all day but capable of packing out meat. thanks fellas
looking for a good hunting pack recommendation for elk and mule deer. Biggest concerns are light enough to haul around all day but capable of packing out meat. thanks fellas
Matechakeric, I’m not really a pack guru by any stretch, but had great success with the Exo pack last year in Montana. The 1800 should fit your needs for day hunts, and a very capable meat hauler.

Having a hard time finding any SG, EXO, or MR in stock. Just started my pack research and am curious if anyone knows how regularly the in stock cycle fluctuates. Looking to do a road trip this summer and meet with all the manufacturers and find which one will fit me best. Is summer soon enough to make that trip and still get one ordered and on my back by fall??

I'm out here now about to do the same. I'm told MR is closed and they are sending people to schnees. I think SG is open. If i were to guess it's the covid thing with MR. I will know more in a couple of days because I'm checking out both places.

Tenzing 3000. Unfortunately they don't make them any longer.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back