Yeti GOBOX Collection

What's your go-to Hunting Pack?

Pound weight savings, plus issues with the company. Plan on moving to the Kuiu 4000 Pro LT, but might also look at one of the Seek Outside packs - which are light and simple.

Last edited:
I have a 110L Eberlestock dry duffle bag onto an Eberlestock F1 J frame. Not the easiest to retrieve things from as it's just a big duffle bag with top opening only, but I pack the rest of the stuff I need in 20L or 10L dry bags so I can get the stuff i need quickly without rummaging thru that cavernous duffle bag just to retrieve say.....rain gear in a hurry. What I really like about the f1 is it has many options to add other packs to the frame as it has zippers on each side and Eberlestock makes a lot of different sizes and configures of packs that will go on the frame so I don't have to use only a huge duffle bag but for Alaska, i am using the dry duffle bag.

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 and a MR Metcalf. I like the Kuiu for the multitude of pockets and the external spotting scope pocket. The carbon 'frame' flexes more than I'd like and probably user error, but I find the load shelf impossible to use. Its very comfortable though and I use it mostly as a day pack and for deer/antelope hunts.
The metcalf is rock solid, comfortable and the load shelf is very easy to deploy. I'm certain the pack can carry much more than I can. The only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets to organize stuff and it's not the lightest pack out there.

The metcalf is rock solid, comfortable and the load shelf is very easy to deploy. I'm certain the pack can carry much more than I can. The only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets to organize stuff and it's not the lightest pack out there.
I agree. When you really need a pack for hard use, you have to evaluate the trade-offs. I came to the same conclusion with the Kuiu. It was light for sure, but it couldn't handle the heavy stuff and the meat hauling setup is essentially worthless. It was fine as a 40lb max day pack, but that's not what I bought a 7200 cu/in pack for.

After trying on all the major brands I bought an Initial Ascent pack. It fit my body the best. This pack has served me well for several seasons and I am pleased with the purchase. Here is a picture of the pack with half a mule deer loaded in it and another picture of my son with the same deer.20201024_105057.jpg20201024_083922.jpg

Reactions: RAZ
I have a 110L Eberlestock dry duffle bag onto an Eberlestock F1 J frame. Not the easiest to retrieve things from as it's just a big duffle bag with top opening only, but I pack the rest of the stuff I need in 20L or 10L dry bags so I can get the stuff i need quickly without rummaging thru that cavernous duffle bag just to retrieve say.....rain gear in a hurry. What I really like about the f1 is it has many options to add other packs to the frame as it has zippers on each side and Eberlestock makes a lot of different sizes and configures of packs that will go on the frame so I don't have to use only a huge duffle bag but for Alaska, i am using the dry duffle bag.
I just added an F1 (tall) frame and Vapor 7500 bag to the stable. This system is so easy to mod. You can add the vertical rifle scabbard, hydration, etc. I haven't got it from Fedex yet.
The V7500 has the top-or-front load like the M5. I love that. Your Bino harness clips to your shoulder straps and can be moved around easily between packs, even non Eberlestock packs.

I really need to stop buying packs.

Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45, it’s perfect for day hunts and could use it for an overnighter. So far it’s packed out 2 bulls with no issues and makes it as comfortable as it’ll get with that much weight.

Seek outside short tail. Big enough for several nights. Mostly used as a day pack/meat hauler.

Are the bags on mystery ranch packs interchangeable?

For the most part, yes. For instance, all of the guidelite MT frames will take all of the bags designed for that frame.

They also have conversion kits to fit older bags and frames to newer models.

Badlands can’t be beat. Insane quality, and no questions guarantee. I bought my first Superday 20 years ago. It had water bottle holsters that lost bottles all the time. I called them and they sent me the new bag no questions asked. They told me to pass the other on to a friend. I’ve used that one for 20 years and the only problem I’ve had are a few zipper pulls came out of their little housing a few years ago. They offered a new one, but I didn’t feel right. They sent me some pulls. I pushed one in and squeezed it with a pliers. I checked all the others too. My brother has a 2200. I just got one for Cmas due to its amazing design. I can’t wait to try it out. They’re not cheap, but worth every penny.

I have a Kifaru and a Kuiu. I can't carry the weight I used to so I use the Kuiu more these days.

I’ve been very happy with my EXO for the past 4yrs. Use it for hunting and training before season. It’s pretty dirty but the zippers have been great and the belt and frame fit me really well so I have no reason to change at this point. Did a 3 night 4 day backpack hunt I in MT 3 yrs ago and it had enough room for all that was needed. Actually rigged up my Alaska Guide Creations bino harness to it to Eliminate the straps which made carrying my chest holster simpler and easier also. Lots of really good pack options out there these days. Good luck with your decision.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back