PEAX Equipment

What's your go-to Hunting Pack?

matechakeric

looking for a good hunting pack recommendation for elk and mule deer. Biggest concerns are light enough to haul around all day but capable of packing out meat. thanks fellas

Last edited:
What type of hunting are you planning on doing? For backpack hunting where I’m packing in and staying I bought the mystery ranch Marshall and I really like it would recommend it but it’s big if your just looking for a pack for day hunts I’d look at something smaller For day hunts I just use a camo assault pack I have.

What type of hunting are you planning on doing? For backpack hunting where I’m packing in and staying I bought the mystery ranch Marshall and I really like it would recommend it but it’s big if your just looking for a pack for day hunts I’d look at something smaller For day hunts I just use a camo assault pack I have.
I have an Exo pack that's a few years old. I like it but curious what others here like. need a pack for my father.

mostly just deer and elk hunting out west. don't need a pack for PA deer. that's what the tractor is for.

There is some reviews if you use the search function for pack reviews you might also check rokslide as well i see a lot of packs get bought and sold on there and they do a lot of reviews as well

Kifaru mountain warrior. I use it for 5-7 day solo backpack hunts. Carries everything I need and has a meat shelf.

For day hunts I use an Eberlestock M5 "Team Elk". It's a nice good day pack, meat hauler combo. Without adding a lot of MOLLE side bags, its not really big enough for going deep.
They have a nice bino harness add-on which I really like.

For going deep, I use a Stone Glacier 6900 on an xCurve frame.

Both of these are heavily mod-able to get them rigged out like you want.

looking for a good hunting pack recommendation for elk and mule deer. Biggest concerns are light enough to haul around all day but capable of packing out meat. thanks fellas
Just got a mystery ranch beartooth 80. Haven’t used on a hunt yet. But I’ve regularly used it with a 50# sandbag and rucked with it. It handles the weight really well. Been very satisfied this far. With it tightens up it compresses down well. But also has plenty of space for a wide range of hunts.

Just got a mystery ranch beartooth 80. Haven’t used on a hunt yet. But I’ve regularly used it with a 50# sandbag and rucked with it. It handles the weight really well. Been very satisfied this far. With it tightens up it compresses down well. But also has plenty of space for a wide range of hunts.
do you feel the beartooth is too much pack for a multi-day/day hunting pack? i have been considering it as an option

I don’t. I think it compresses down pretty well. You can also take off the top cover. And have a little less space. I was in the same boat and ultimately chose it over the metcalfe! I’m gonna buy a mule pack to swap out on the frame for early season Whitehall hunts in south GA.

I don’t. I think it compresses down pretty well. You can also take off the top cover. And have a little less space. I was in the same boat and ultimately chose it over the metcalfe! I’m gonna buy a mule pack to swap out on the frame for early season Whitehall hunts in south GA.
that's great info. was considering the beartooth or going smaller with a pintler

I currently have it cranked down all the way. Just using the meat shelf with my sandbag attached and it is barely extending off the pack. I think if you are looking at having a wider range of potential hunt lengths (day hunt to a 5-8 days). The bigger pack might be better. That’s why I went with it versus the metcalfe. Wanted to have the extra space if and when I finally get out west I can go a bit longer if needed.

I currently have it cranked down all the way. Just using the meat shelf with my sandbag attached and it is barely extending off the pack. I think if you are looking at having a wider range of potential hunt lengths (day hunt to a 5-8 days). The bigger pack might be better. That’s why I went with it versus the metcalfe. Wanted to have the extra space if and when I finally get out west I can go a bit longer if needed.
my biggest concern is always zipper longevity. have you experienced any zipper issues with mystery ranch packs

I have been using an Outdoorsmans pack for long trips and packing out meat for several years. It is heavy compared to some but is bomb proof. For day trips I have a MR scapegoat that I love.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back