Caribou Gear

Whats Your Favorite "Hacks"

Losing_Sanity

I was watching the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" again the other night with my wife. In this movie the father of the bride uses Windex for about everything. Even for a zit. Although it's a funny movie and Windex has no zit curing factors, it got me thinking about different hacks that we use in our lives. Things that can be used for other purposes than it's original purpose or design.

For example, Coke to remove a stain, or WD-40 to remove tar from your vehicle and as a fish attractant. Or a balloon on the end of your rifle barrel for hunting in the rain. There are many others.

I thought it might be fun, and interesting, to share your favorite hack for everyday life, cooking, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting, etc. Maybe there is a funny one that someone you know uses, like in the move with the Windex. There has to be some really good ideas that our HT members use that we can share. :unsure:

Coke is great for removing stains, car battery corrosion, and the inside lining of your stomach. :cool:

I use walnut wood stain to recover antlers and seems to work really nice.

Getting red wine out of clothes. Remove garment, cover the stain with a bunch of salt and let it sit overnight, in the morning put a large bowl under the stained portion of the garment and pour boiling water over it.

Acetone, to get ink out.

Honestly I think Gus Portokalos was on to something...

WD-40 for permanent marker/sharpie.Also great for glues such as bumper stickers and window stickers.
Nothing like the smell of WD-40 and gunpowder in the morning!I also use it for cologne...〽💥

I used WD-40 once to get oil stains out of a pair of pants. It worked great! Unfortunately, I used too much and we had one hell of a time getting the smell out of the washer. I had to through the pants away because they smelled so bad. My wife was pissed! That smell got onto her work clothes before we got it all cleaned out of the washer. Nothing like a women with a WD-40 smell to her at work... 😇

I poured gas all over my Sitka Timberline pants on a hunt this year. I probably wear those pants 80+ days a year, and was really bummed when I tried multiple ways to get the gas smell out. I bet I washed them ten times with different cleaners.

What finally worked was hanging them outside in direct sunlight over a couple days. It completely removed the smell.

White vinegar....my wife uses it for a multitude of things! We have high ph water, plus minerals. She uses it place of Downy in the wash, uses it in mop water, occasional cycle through the dishwasher....I’m sur3 there are others, I just can’t think of them right now.

While not exactly on topic.....when cooking, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning goes with darn near everything. Not so great with ice cream! 😉 memtb

White vinegar....my wife uses it for a multitude of things! We have high ph water, plus minerals. She uses it place of Downy in the wash, uses it in mop water, occasional cycle through the dishwasher....I’m sur3 there are others, I just can’t think of them right now.

White Vinegar is good for cleaning the coffee pot maker as well! And it ain't bad with some sliced cucumber and onions...

While not exactly on topic.....when cooking, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning goes with darn near everything. Not so great with ice cream! 😉 memtb

Ice cream? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

When my grandpa was alive I have seen him on many occasions put Tony’s in his coffee.

Since you mentioned food, next time you make homemade guacamole from scratch save the avocado pit and put it in the container with the leftover guac. It lasts way longer and does not turn brown as quickly.

Last edited:
Every time my wife gets a big box in the mail from Amazon I flatten it and save it, I use flattened cardboard boxes to protect other stuff all the time...under my rifles when cleaning so I can do it at the counter, to lay on when under the cars, as a shield when painting, under the kids' art projects, to protect finished wood when doing projects, quick changing mats when getting into/out of waders in the summer and ski boots in the winter, etc

Baking soda and peroxide paste. Work it onto your grout. Let is sit for 30 minutes and go back and scrub with a stiff plastic bristle brush ( or your wife's toothbrush if she made you mad).

Works like nothing I have ever cleaned grout with. I did our bathroom a couple months ago and what we thought was tan/brown grout was actually a light grey and it looks brand new ( 15 years old).

Baking soda and peroxide paste. Work it onto your grout. Let is sit for 30 minutes and go back and scrub with a stiff plastic bristle brush ( or your wife's toothbrush if she made you mad).

Works like nothing I have ever cleaned grout with. I did our bathroom a couple months ago and what we thought was tan/brown grout was actually a light grey and it looks brand new ( 15 years old).

Sounds remarkably similar to the Arm and Hammer toothpaste we’re using! memtb

When the house is dirty, but I don't want to clean, I get my wife all spun up over some little thing. It sends her into a tizzy & the next thing you know, she's cleaned the house in order to calm down.

The things you learn when living with a 1/2 Sicilian/1/2 Irish woman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back