Whats Your Favorite "Hacks"

Another good one....Bath with tomato juice for dog owners that follow their dog too close when an unexpected provoke happens. My parents let me sleep inside that night so I can testify it works.

This is certainly good advice, but I suggest that one be careful about the tomato juice chosen for this task. As a younger man in a former marriage, I made the mistake of grabbing whatever looked remotely like tomato juice from the pantry when dealing with a skunked German Shepherd on a hot August night. The next morning, I could not fathom why I discovered my young wife, just home from her shift at the hospital, in the throes of a hissy fit in the kitchen as I dodged a pair of shoes that were launched in my direction. And by shoes, I mean those heavy Danish nursing clogs.

Apparently, the tomato juice in those half dozen or so Mason jars that I'd poured over the dog in an effort to curb the stench were skillfully extracted by her grandmother from tomatoes grown in her grandfather's garden as they had done every summer for decades. Not that it mattered, but I profusely apologized, assured her of my ignorance to the source of the tomato juice and swore against touching the next canned tomato harvest from her beloved, aging grandparents whom she saw only a couple of times a year. Sadly, as it turned out, there would be no more harvests. Let me be an example for others and I suggest that everyone stick to clearly labeled, cheap aluminum cans.

Assuming it led to trading both of em.....
The next morning I had to setup and introduce a professor for some geologic talk, in front of a couple of hundred geology professionals, as the Geologic Society of America was having there annual convention on our campus. After using an SOS pad and dawn dish soap until it started to bleed I called it quits, dawned a button up and a hoody, and walked into that auditorium with a faded c@ck and b@lls on my cheek. Character building... definitely character building.

I'd called my Dad panicking that morning, asking about taking sharpie off skin. He asked why, after dancing around what happened, I finally fessed up to what I had going on, and all I heard was quiet... then laughing. All he could get out was "Good Luck!".

Melt the end of a plastic/rubber fishing grub or worm with a lighter and dab it on small wader leaks for quick fix.
I've used it on breathable waders and neoprene waders for a quick, flexible fix when I don't have any Aqua Seal.

Borax or laundry detergent powder works great mixed with hot water to get the grease/oil from your hands when you don't have any Fast Orange or Gojo.

If your windshield is covered with stuck on, baked on bugs....

Take a bathtowel and soak in water. Lay it across the windshield directly in the sun ( in warmer weather). Come back in 15 minutes adn the bugs slide right off.

Deep Woods Off insect repellent can be used to clear up clouded head light lenses. Just clean it off the paint good or it may dull the finish. It's not going to hurt my old pickup and you would never notice. Spray a little on a rag and clean off the lenses. It's not permanent, but could brighten up your drive when needed. Used it many times...

Lets revive this thread...
Subscribe to get your local news paper at home. When you can't get toilet paper, you can use the news of the Coronavirus to wipe your butt. Also, it can be used to wash windows, clean up spills, start the fireplace, wrap presents, or blow your nose. Just thinking ahead...

Empty medicine/prescription bottles can be used to keep stuff dry in your back pack such as stick matches. Put a piece of the striker surface in with the matches (Rough side facing out along the bottle wall or past it to the outside on the top of the cap) for use later. Put a couple cotton balls on top to keep them from rattling around. Easy to carry in your back pack and keeps the matches nice and dry. Also good for band-aids, salt and pepper, or fire starter material.

Empty medicine/prescription bottles can be used to keep stuff dry in your back pack such as stick matches. Put a piece of the striker surface in with the matches (Rough side facing out along the bottle wall or past it to the outside on the top of the cap) for use later. Put a couple cotton balls on top to keep them from rattling around. Easy to carry in your back pack and keeps the matches nice and dry. Also good for band-aids, salt and pepper, or fire starter material.

Good tip. Most big pharmacies will give you a capped pill bottle, too.

If you get grease (vehicle kind) on your cloths. Take crisco and rub into the grease until it changes color then put some liquid soap or what ever you have on hand and wash/rinse it right there and then. It'll take the stain out.
Also mix 1 cup of the ultra blue Dawn dish soap with one cup of white vinegar in a sprayer bottle. Spray your shower down let sit for a few minutes and it will take the hard water spots, soap scum off then rinse clean.
All I can think of at the moment.

Back