What's your favorite duck?

I really have only shot a handful of ducks that weren't mallards since I spend so much time with archery now. I like the not flashy Gadwall for both looks and plate. I have only shot 1 MT wood duck and he's mounted. I do like shooting teal but they can be rare by the time I start waterfowl hunting each year.

All I do know is that I have zero interest in shooting another Goldeneye...it was a nightmare to clean and was not what I consider food when cooked (I'm sure I screwed it up).

Great topic. Drake sprig for combo of looks and taste with a drake wood duck in second. If you add in the whole experience calling etc. it is a greenhead as the all around favorite for me. Honorable mention to greenwings. Ciniman are pretty but from my experience taste more like a spoonbill (also good looking but not the best eating) than a greenwing.

They are all amazing to me in their own little way. Tough to choose my favorite but I'd have to say a nice Drake woodie.... I need to chase them more often.

Love a limit of green heads, but if I can only have one it would be canvasback.

Unfortunately it has been a few years since I got a can. :D

49370149737_d340d45a46_5k.jpg

Like others have said, it's hard to choose one. I believe pintails are the best tasting followed by GWT. Cinnamons here in Utah are gorgeous but they can have elevated mercury levels so I generally avoid them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back