Whats your 2019 plans

2019 plans are still SO far up in the air but possibly looking something like this:

~AZ OTC coues and pair of Javelina tags in January
~dual WY antelope and MT scouting in August
~MT UL Sheep in September
~MN Ducks in late September
~WI Whitetails in October
~CA Blacktails in October
~Hoping to squeeze in CA Bear
~AZ Elk (if drawn but should have favorable odds) -November

And we'll see if any other LE tags fall my way.. ;)

Cow Elk in WY unless I hit the random draw lotto
A cpl WY Antelope Does to go along with the Cow
help a cpl friends on their le Elk tags in OR
maybe AZ Elk, I can draw almost all the late tags but am within sniffing distance of mid tier early bow

Putting in for NR bull elk tag in WY Unit 6 for a hunt 2nd week of October. (How many preference points does a NR need there?). Will be my first bull elk hunt, I’m getting ready...
Hunting whitetails at home in Indiana and also KY.

In NJ:
January 1st- pheasant and chukar hunt with my lab
Then "winter bow" until mid February, (1 buck and unlimited does)
2 or 3 turkey permits for April/May
Archery in Sept-Oct (1 buck and unlimited does)
Extended "permit" archery (Oct-Dec) (1 buck and unlimited does)
Muzzleloader (Nov-February) (1 buck and unlimited does)
Shotgun (early Dec, 2 bucks)
"Permit" Shotgun from Dec-Feb (1 buck and unlimited does, unless you got 2 bucks in regular shotgun season, then only does)
No bear tag this year unless they open up public land again (unlikely until we have a new governor)

Other than NJ:
Powerball elk options in WY, NM, UT, KY, PA and supertags
ME & NH moose apps. Assume VT is still closed, but maybe there too if they re-open it.
Bonus pts for deer/elk/antelope in MT
Deciding whether to burn 21 antelope points or 19 elk points in CO
Deer PP in CO
Deer PP in SD
Probably hunt PA for deer, pheasant, & turkey too

Guaranteed hunts:
Whitetail in NY
Black Bear in CA
Pig Hunt in CA
Blacktail in CA

>75% chance:
Rifle Mule deer in NV

Long Shots:
AZ mule deer and elk
NV, NM elk
Sheep in CA, AZ, NV, NM

ID wolf until the snow melts, then roll straight into spring bear. I'm putting in for a ID goat tag this year (and every year thereafter until I either draw or my knees get so bad I can't physically do it anymore) which means it's General Deer/Elk tags for me. I'll probably buy another preference point for CO, just so I keep building them up. Also have a pretty decent line on a landowner elk depredation tag for late season next year. I love being about to trade doing a little side work for something other than cash...

Res SD Elk tags x 3 Slight chance of drawing rifle BH unit.

NR apps for NM and WY. Not likely to draw unless i hit a random general in WY.

Applying for 3 deer tags will probably draw 2.

Hopefully a Wyoming cow tag and definitely antelope tags for a group of friends. Gonna be the first time hunting out West for all of us.

For the rest of the year, chasing gobbles here in NC during spring and chasing white tails in the fall.

The boy is going out for his first antelope.

The girl is going for her first elk.

Dad is going to play sherpa and, hopefully, get some deer hunting in. Of course spring turkey is always in the works. If either of the kid's tags fall through we'll do an over the counter bear hunt.

Got to take advantage of those cheap youth tags.

Points only everywhere for me. May pick up a second choice tag in CO or WY just in case I have time to slip away. We have a pending promotion test or two coming up at work that I am already studying for. If I have tags in my pocket it will give me an excuse to not take the test. I need to take the tests.

If my resignation gets approved and I’m not in Afghanistan I’ll be doing Ak moose the last 2weeks of September in western Ak. If the draw gods are kind my August- September will be DCUA sheep otherwise a walk in sheep on HT again. Early August will be 40 mile caribou. May-June will be baiting grizzlies until the salmon runs start. Hopefully lots of fishing and flying inbeteeen hunts.

Put in for
kenai peninsula
MT. Goat
Dall's Sheep
Caribou
Anterless moose (meat tag)

delta Bison

raspberry and afognak island Elk Tags
possibly blacktail on kodiak depending on what i draw

primary plan is to go in by boat and hunt the south side of Tustumena lake for moose the last 10 days or 2 weeks of the season.

Me and a few friends are going to go in and hunt Black Bear along a few of the Kachemak Bay state park hiking trails in early spring more for pest control than anything else. trails were closed last summer off and on due to problem bears.
May also go for a spring brown bear in the area, again more for pest control than anything. to many bears near the most popular hiking trails.

Last edited:
Hoping for this to be a busy fall.

Main goal this year will be to kill my first elk. As an experienced hunter, this has been long overdue. I turned 40 this year so time to double down.

Planned hunts:

Saskatchewan (SK) OTC archery mule deer here at home
SK OTC elk (if i don't draw)
WY Type 1 elk somewhere in the Bighorns
WY Type 1 antelope
SK OTC whitetail

Tentative hunts:

SK OTC Moose if time permits and i don't draw moose tag.
MT Deer/elk combo and a archery Breaks LEH tag (if for some reason i don't draw in WY).

Longshots:

SK draw elk
SK draw moose
SK draw antelope
NM elk (swing for the fences)

This will be my first year of multi state applications. I've done one extra state here and there but never applied with a strategy.

Oregon- Resident
Elk- Point in the draw, hunt OTC archery
Deer- Limited entry Mule Deer Rifle in the draw, OTC archery if I'm unsuccessful.
Spring Bear- Likely draw
Fall Bear
Longshots:
Pronghorn
Bighorn
Mountain Goats

California- Nonresident
Mule Deer Point
Pronghorn Point
Elk Point
Desert Bighorn
Blacktail OTC for August Archery

Wyoming- Nonresident
Elk Point
Deer Point
Pronghorn Point

Nevada- Nonresident
Points for everything

Idaho- Nonresident
Deer OTC Rifle

April
KS Turkey
IN turkey
May
MI turkey
June
Annual Boundary waters trip
Aug
WY Antelope
Oct
MT Antelope
IN deer
Nov
Take my son and his grandpa to WY for cow elk
IN deer
IN waterfowl
Dec
IN deer
IN waterfowl

ND Spring Turkey
SD Archery Antelope
ND Archery Deer
CO Rifle Elk
ND Rifle Deer
ND Fall Turkey
and hope to get lucky and draw a ND Moose, ND Bighorn tag, or ND muzzle loader tag

apply for MT antelope
buy point for WY Antelope, CO Muley, MT Elk

I'm pumped for this season. It's my first full year in the state so I plan on taking full advantage of it. Spring Bear, OTC Elk and deer are all for sure. I think I'm also going to attempt archery pronghorn and the one tag I will for sure apply for is a Ewe sheep tag. Maybe eventually I'll try to build points for a ram tag but knowing myself I would get just as much joy from the experience and chance to harvest a ewe.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back