Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Whats your 2019 plans

I won’t be going out of state to hunt this year because I have #2 son due to arrive in late March, but I will be getting a bunch of PP’s.

Kansas deer PP
Iowa deer PP
Wyoming deer PP
Wyoming antelope PP
Wyoming elk PP
Montana elk PP

Idaho archery elk taking some family and friends from pennsylvania for a week Aug 30-sept 30
Idaho controlled deer (unlimited draw archery only) Aug 30-Dec 19 couple weeks taking two friends from Pennsylvania.
Idaho controlled antelope Aug 15-sept 15 with local hunting partner.
Pennsylvania rifle deer Dec 2-6 at camp on the family farm. Grandpa is 84yrs old gotta cherish every year left with him at deer camp.
Idaho controlled rifle elk October. Not hunting just taking 4 buddy's from Pennsylvania. If they don't draw we have a backup general tag unit.
Pheasants with the wife and dog.
If it works out we're gonna go Chase Arizona coues deer January 2019 with local buddy and buddy from Pennsylvania.

This is my 6th year living in Idaho and had hometown family or friends from Pennsylvania come out for hunts every year but one. They keep me busy but it's always a blast. I cherish the comraderie and time spent together making lifelong memories! Nothing like it!

2019 plan... Teach myself to hunt and figure out this whole tag thing.

This will be my first season hunting and I'm out of CA. Ill have deer and bear tag. I don't particularly care about trophies but I want to start getting an idea of what other hunts (out of state, particularly Oregon, SW Idaho, Western Nev) I should be looking at for stocking up on meat. Fully expect to fail miserably this season but it won't be for lack of busting my ass, just a lack of skill.

2019 Plan..
For Sure: Utah- OTC Spike Bull

Colorado Deer (12 points) likely burn but not guarantee in unit that i want.
Wyoming Deer (12 points), debating splitting G tag with buddy.
Nevada Deer (11 points), will put in, but will likely not draw.

Put in for every species in NV (but likely no draw)

Undecided (Wyoming Elk) 11 points, debating splitting points with friend in marginal unit, but likely will wait until next year.

So many options... Idaho OTC Deer if I do not draw anything.

Last edited:
Spring bear in Idaho
Possible 2nd bear in Idaho
Elk in Idaho
Deer at home
Chukars where ever

Reactions: LCH
[Funny how quickly plans change this time of year, at least for me.

I got out for the January whitetails a few times with the kids, didn't get anything.

We came home with a total of 7 hogs from 2 days in TX, caught a few smaller ones somebody else wanted too.

Got just about everything lined up for the POW bear hunt (I think).

Deer here at home is inevitable.

For the fall, I expect to draw a MT deer tag with one point. I also intend to hunt Coues again in AZ on a zero point tag. If I draw elk in NM that hunt falls immediately after my Coues season, so I'll make that a 2-week trip.

I'm also taking my family to the Black Hills on fall break, I'm looking forward to that trip most of all.

My partner and I put in for New Mexico Elk. If that doesn't work, we'll put in for Wyoming Antelope. If that doesn't work, Colorado OTC.

And then every other waking moment of free time...my lease in Texas.

My 2019 schedule:
February AZ javelina. Already drew that tag.
Definitely putting in for elk in AZ (rifle)
Definitely putting in for elk & pronghorn in NM (rifle)
AZ rifle Coues deer

I may be able to squeeze in a Colorado 2nd rifle deer hunt. Currently have three points or may use those points towards a Sept muzzy deer hunt.

Considering putting in for WY antelope. Currently have three points.
UPDATE:

February AZ javelina. DONE: One javelina harvested
AZ elk (rifle): NO TAG DRAWN :cry:
NM elk & deer (rifle): Application in
AZ Coues deer (rifle): PENDING

STILL CONSIDERING:

Colorado 2nd rifle deer hunt. Currently have three points
WY antelope. Currently have three points.

I'm pretty excited about my plans for 2019. Here they are:

May: AK black bear on Kuiu Island with my dad, his best friend and his friend's son
October: WY antelope with my dad, my two oldest sons (one of which is now old enough to hunt), and my nephew (his dad will be deployed).
October: CO elk, 1st rifle season in GMU 49 with my best friend. (He's the tag holder.)
November: MT elk/deer with my oldest two sons, my dad, and my brother

Should be a great year. Very thankful!

I'm excited for 2019:

March: Turkey hunting in Hawaii
April: Turkey hunting in Montana (hopefully draw a LE tag)
September: WY Antelope (rifle) - MT Elk Hunting (Bow)
October: Pheasants with my new pup & Hopefully MT Antelope (rifle)
November: CO Mule Deer (3rd Season) - MT Whitetail/Mule Deer (Rifle)
December: Upland Birds

I should get all the tags I have listed above other than Montana Antelope. That's probably a 50/50 chance.

Of course if I draw my LE MT Elk tag, that will shuffle things a bit!

This is pretty much how it's gonna go down.....

Double on spring bears with the wife.

Wife pulls the impossible, draws yet another MT rifle bull tag. I get to accompany her on that.

Take her on a solid mule deer hunt.

I take a 9.5 year old unlimited ram.

Draw mountain goat tag and with the help of good friends and fellow hunt talkers, take a 10 year old Billy with a bow.

Somewhere in there help others as well.

Good luck to all may the tag gods be on your side. Behind me of course;)

Do to vacation schedules our mule deer hunt us postponed until next year. Still planning all my Iowa hunts and Wyoming antelope.

Just the MT general big game combo this year. We'll also pick up a couple B tag antelope and elk tags. 2020 is the big year - NWT for Sheep, Moose and Caribou.

make the most of my special bull tag in wa maybe wa deer general if no luck on special then general cow season

Last edited:
AZ muzzleloader elk
AZ points antelope
AZ deer, Buy point then: OTC Sept for Muley, Leftover tag for Coues, OTC Jan muley (one deer per year so keep trying until get a deer or strike out on leftovers(
AZ archery Javelina in Jan

CO: points deer and elk
WY: points elk and antelope

Toss in some dove hunting and small game

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back