What's Wrong With Elk Farms

Washington Hunter, its $35 for the hunting liscense, its $100/doe here. Plus, Wyoming is closer to you. They are not fenced in here, at that place, ask Moosie and CaHunter, I took them there last April, they have been on the place. A buck is more there, and they don't show up all the time, plus, when one shows up, I want to take someone for it, where I get taken on some neat hunt. If any of you guys would want a blackbuck buck, we could work a personal trade hunt, if you would really want one.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-07-2003 14:46: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Tom, with all due respect, you're full of crap.

You can hunt pronghorn bucks every single year as a NR in Wyoming for $195, in good areas. Do your homework and its a guarantee and has been for many, many, many years.

My wife and I drew NR antelope tags the first year we lived here, and I knew I was going to draw...draw odds of 100 percent. My dad, brother, and another friend of mine all drew the same area last year and they could draw it again this year if they put in.

The only thing holding you back is your fear of leaving the high fence.

Heres the picture of the two bucks my wife and I took in 2001. I know the draw odds will again be 100 percent for NR's again this year.

2001ant.JPG

patsant5.JPG

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-07-2003 14:53: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Buzz, I'll work on it, I thought it was like 20% chances plus or minus. Isn't the deadline real soon for Wyoming. I think I'm going to try New Mexico next year, but I'll work on it.

With all do respect, you're full of crap about Texas.

Tom, I dont think so.

Texas is not a good deal for anyone but the well heeled, unless you're into whacking does and feral hogs. Even then its not any better deal, and in most cases a worse deal, than what most states offer for a similar animal.

For Gods sake, $1200 for a blackbuck?

I could buy a NR pronghorn tag in Wyoming for 6 years in a row and be guaranteed a tag for that same $1200. Or I could apply for an elk, deer, and antelope tag in Wyoming and still not spend $1200. I would have $300 for gas money left over after buying all three Wyoming NR tags. Plus, I wouldnt have to pay a trespass fee, pay more for a bigger one, or any of that crap.

Tom, try all you want, but hunting in Texas is not a good deal for the average NR hunter, especially when we're talking males of all the exotics in Texas.

Buzz, I'm happy you found some hunting you like. If you only look at the negative side elsewhere you'll stay happy. Did you see, I said multiple times now, Texas has a state record archery buck scoring 240 from a public $50 hunt. Although you never will, you could apply for free. You only pay the $50 if you get drawn.

280 is betting on the pronghorns, that made me laugh. I usually shoot 100-200 yards, so its not a bad bet. I can practice though, change the odds.

Buzz, a blackbuck is not a pronghorn buck. They are native in India and Pakistan, think about going there to hunt one and $1200 is a deal then, if you ever wanted a blackbuck. If you want a pronghorn, shoot the pronghorn, you already have abunch of them though, so why not just get some does for meat when you need it. You'll save even more money than getting another buck if you do that. Plus, the $1200 is a guided price, more like a guided $2500 pronghorn hunt than the do it yourself one you're talking about. The $500 is more like the do it yourself on a blackbuck, not that you could ever figure that out though.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-07-2003 15:39: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Tom, why is it every time its proven that Texas is a big rip-off you say something like the above post. "Go to India, then its a good deal."

I didnt realize we were talking about hunting each species in its native territory. If you want to do that, then the native game animals of N. America are an even better deal for us.

I usually shoot bucks and does each year, for a bargin price as a resident, and not too bad a deal as a NR in a couple states a year. I dont break the bank for one blackbuck, but take the same money and spend it more wisely and bag a whole herd of native wildlife each year.

Tom, do what you want, but dont try to bullshit me on how good a deal Texas is...I dont believe it is, and for good reason.

tom,
I got a really nice 4 piont (western count) mule deer last fall total cost licence, tag, gas, bullets, ice, beer, the T-bones steaks we grilled, groceries for 4 days, all for about 250$ Plus 2 of my brother in laws also scored nice bucks. My guess is you can't even come close to that.
hump.gif

Michaelr, My examples above are for an out of state hunter. Is that what you are talking about? If you're talking about in state compared to in state, we could compare that too, but its less interesting unless you're thinking of moving somewhere else. I was comparing out of state options, as if, we would hunt out of state.

I got 4 deer, 2 turkeys, 1 bear, 3 goats, 2 javelina, a fox, some rabbits, squirels, doves, quail, and ducks last year. I paid more than $250 but I got more too, some of it was out of state. I had a good year, but I hunted a lot too.

Buzz, I was talking about a blackbuck, you never thought about the $50 public hunt 240 scoring whitetail here, it seems blocked. I'll stop bothering you about this here, its clear you like your hunting and that is fine. I'll look in my Wyoming draw odds book again and see what I find on the antelope suggestion.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-10-2003 16:00: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

I admit I speed read this post an I might have missed a few commits.
Seems like this discussion is all over the place. You (we) need to compair apples to apples.
I can go out of state and hunt public land for trophy class mule deer in Wyo. or Co for about $250 (tag) How much would it cost me to hunt big white tails or mule deer in Texas ? With no public land, I would have to add an acsess fee on top of the tag. I just don't see it as a deal. Heck, you can hunt giant Whitetails in Montana or Idaho with no fences in site.
Exotics ? It's just a different thing to hunt an animal on its own turf. The only exotic that gets my blood pumping is an orix in N.M. For the most part, if the ranch dosn't cover a whole county, it seems like a fenced hunt to me. I suposse people from the east who are used to hunting areas measured in acers might find it a good thing, but most hunters out west are used to wide open space. If I can see to the other side of a hunt unit, it's too small.

( P.S. Tom, that DS can cook up a storm in hunt camp, brings a full service kitchen even on pack in hunts)

Tom says.....--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Buzz, what do you think of the wild hog hunt here? $35 liscense, $40 for public access, you got unlimited hogs and that public place I mentioned is open for 3 months to hunt them. There's probably some others if you want to hunt other than Jan.,Feb., and March, I know there is."

What a joke!
rolleyes.gif
.....so Tom....now your basing the "quality" of hunting Texas on wild hogs?!?!??!?!
And you do realize, almost EVERY southern state is trying to exterminate this feral animal........kinda like the west is exterminating the prairie dogs.......so that would be like saying.....come west for the best quality and cheapest prairie dogs hunt anywhere......can't beat it, Your struggling big time guy.
rolleyes.gif

If you ever want to hunt something truely wild....give me a call, and I'll hook you up. You'd be surprised at how different it can be from shooting farm animals.....

I gave multiple examples, if you don't want to pursue them or even read them don't. Later. Anaconda is right, the topic is all over the place, its not on elk farms anymore. I don't know of a good elk farm for hunting, but I do know lots of good high fence hunts, before 2001 they used to be in P&Y on a ranch by ranch basis. Even Chuck Adams said, "As far as my Pope and Young animals, everything's been free-ranging except the three Texas whitetails that the club accepted. Those deer were wild as hell, and club was right to accept them." He has way more P&Y animals than any other human being alive or dead, he was the first to get the North American 27, i.e. the Super Slam. His word is better than mine, the high fence hunt can be good.

Tom,
Please quit calling them "high fence hunts"

the proper wording is "high fence shoot"
thank you.
tongue.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-10-2003 13:20: Message edited by: michaelr ]</font>

I think if Chuck Adams said that, if P&Y has whitetails in their records from high fence animals, its ok to call it a high fence hunt. I don't really know why P&Y changed the rules in 2001 but don't think that it is because it all of a sudden changed from hunting to shooting. They are keeping the pre 2001 animals from high fence hunts in the book, so they are still recognized. I'm thinking its just too hard to judge them on a ranch by ranch basis anymore, so they changed the rules to make it easier, but I don't know. Have you got some reference for why it should be called a shoot instead of a hunt or is that just what you want to call it?

Kinda like taking the kids to the fish pond the fish and game stock for kids 14 and under and then going and bragging about how great a fisherwoosie you are
rolleyes.gif

It is like fishing in a lake, you have boundary, you may get some you may not, its no garranteed catch, its all ages, whoever wants to go at lots of them. Its simple, right.

Tom, in a canned hunt (or to be nice, a high-fence hunt) if you do not kill something you do not pay. That is a guarantee. In a real hunting situation, do you get your money back if you are not successful in killing an animal? The answer is no, you don't. So therefore, a "high-fence hunt" is not a hunt.

Back