PEAX Equipment

What's the longest distance you would hike for an elk?

Sagebrush77

Archery guys, I know you put on the miles. What about my rifle hunters, how far do you typically have to hike to get a good look at those bulls?

We did a 11.5 mile ballon on a string shaped loop this year so we were a little over 5.5 miles from the pickup. We had 3 of us so I was a little worried. But we figured we would just completely bone one out If we got one that far out. A few years back 2 of us brought one out from 3 miles In and that was pretty hard on us 40 somethings lol

I put in a lot more miles rifle hunting than I do archery hunting.
this is how it usually works for me, I've put in up to 14 miles in a day with a rifle, that said, none of that 14 miles was more than about 3 miles off the road, I try to draw the line for packouts at about 3 miles one way if I'm solo, maybe push into 4-something if the elk is big and I have help...
I'd suffer more for a bull like that one @Oak just posted though...

It really depends. Assuming no horses, the distance is shortened but what’s the terrain?

I will/have kill one 8 miles in if it’s downhill on a pack trail or gated logging road back to the truck.
4 miles is too far if you have to climb 3k vertical feet through lodgepole blowdown bullshit covered in a few inches of slippery snow.

If the bull were big enough I’d kill him dang near anywhere in November and take my time getting it out and getting help from others. You don’t have that luxury in September when you need to get the meat out immediately due to heat.

Archery guys, I know you put on the miles. What about my rifle hunters, how far do you typically have to hike to get a good look at those bulls?
I have done 7 miles with about 3000 ft elevation gain... Sort of thankful that I have never actually killed one way back in there. I think it just depends on how much work you really want to do. I would happily kill a rag horn a mile or two from the truck, but when I go back there I don't want to shoot anything under 300"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back