What's the coolest thing you've ever found, that you weren't looking for, while hunting?

Hard to say for sure, I've found a lot of cool stuff while either working or hunting.

Found all this stuff hunting pronghorn right outside Laramie...buffalo horn, arrowhead, a 45-90, and 2 50-90 cartridges, one still loaded. Actually, I found the bison horn and the 3 empties, my brother found the loaded 50-90, and my wife found the arrowhead. All within a couple square miles of each other.

IMG_20200303_164921691.jpg

Was working one day, drove wayyyy the hell out on the Arizona Strip, coming back found this in the road, probably about 20 air miles from St. George:

IMG_4876.JPG

Found this in the Frank Church:

IMG_2625.JPG

Believe it says 1885:

IMG_2621.JPG

Petroglyphs while hunting coues deer in AZ:

IMG_0887_3_1.JPG

IMG_0886_4_1.JPG
Hi Buzz awesome finds. The shells I believe are 50-70 instead of 50-90. The 45-90 case is 2.4 inches long and 50-90 cases are 2.50 in length. 50-70 are 1.75 in length and looking at the picture it looks like they are the 50-70. The 50-70 was a popular caliber in the old days. The early trapdoors were chambered in 50-70 and the Sharps and rolling block's were also. I've read the 50-70 was responsible for a lot of Bison.

We found a blue heron that had been hit by a car but was still alive we took it to a wildlife rehabilitation facility it fully recovered they called and we got to come watch the release I’d have to dig picks out

new Pa Mt mn - that is a ventilation pipe. The ground looks good but there is a potential for methane with the rotting timber or potentially getting hit when the timber and lagging falls on you. Mines can be safe to explore but with training and the proper equipment. I caution all of you to avoid exploration of underground workings. There are inheirant risks and it is a poor place to satisfy your curiosity.

That is very cool
I found trees that were shapes exactly like a number four. Several different times and I hunted by them and had good luck. Also I found a balloon that had a message on one of these trees. It said to my child in heaven that is turning 4 today we Love and miss you very much. It was like 6 days old from the date on it and it had a phone number. The lady sends one out every year for her daughter that passed away. It came over 600 miles. I called her and we had a great conversation and that really made my hunt. Just finding that attached to a tree that looked like a number four.

My neighbor "Uncle Si" in a petrified tree in the Gallatin National Forest just north of Yellowstone Park.

20160901_10.JPG

But the best thing I ever found was a Nikon Monarch 1200-yard range-finder just lying in the snow in a cheap nylon carrying case from which the belt loops had torn loose. I've been using it for 5-6 years now. OTOH, a few years prior to that I also considered it GOOD luck when I LOST my Bushnell 550 range-finder and I apologize to anyone who may have found that.:)

Ran across this on one of my elk hunts. They were all within about a 50 foot radius... If it was fresher I would have camped out.

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

DNPL2313.JPG

The remains of this tree near Pearl Peak in the Ruby's are so old you can't even see where it was originally standing. There is one piece of root still attached that is about 3 ft across. It must have been gigantic when it was alive. It's bigger than any other trees live or dead in the area.
DSCN0876.JPGDSCN0877.JPG

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back