Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Whats the best deer cartridge?

East of the Mississippi big fan of the Swede , but 6.5 creedmoor fits the same niche With better ammo availability. My all time favorite woods cartridge is the 358 win but that is just a personal thing.West of the Mississippi 280ai or 7 mag would be hard to beat when the ranges can run long.

MM

Why just 1? My goal is to try a bunch of them :D

My family and I have killed deer with everything from 223 through 45/70, including 270, 30-06, 30-30, 6.8spc, 308, 7-08, 450 Marlin, 338 WM, 50 cal muzzle loader (saboted and full bore), 243, 300 WSM, 325 WSM, and I’m sure I’m missing quite a few. The deer all died dead.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the “less is more” credo, so I’ll stick to 30-06, 270, 308 for a while.

I've killed deer with a variety of cartridges from .22LR to 12 ga shotgun. I killed my largest antlered mulie with a patched round ball from a .45 caliber muzzleloader. While pheasant hunting one year I jumped a forked horn mulie that someone shot his back leg and lost. I put my deer tag on him after I put 1 1/8 ounces of #7 1/2 shot in his forehead. In the last 40 years I've killed a deer almost every year with my .257 Ackley. Last year I shot my deer with a .308 Win.

Most cartridges will kill deer if you shoot them in the right spot.

I love these threads.....
Whitetails does-.223 w/ 60 grain partition.

Whitetail bucks 308 w/ 150 grain interloks

Undisputed best of all for both bucks and does if I could only have one dedicated white tailed deer rifle .243 with 100 grain partitions.

My personal favorite at the moment is a Remington 722 300 savage with 150 interloks, though for this year that might change to the 30-40 Kraig that my great grandfather used.....working on a load for it now.

A 50 caliber Thompson flintlock with patches round balls has accounted for the last 2 whitetails I have shot. I have had that rifle since I was 14

I don’t think there’s a person here who could argue that the 270 WSM isn’t the VERY best.

Back