Caribou Gear

What's on the smoker today?

So I had some ham & pintos with greens (HPG), to which I added the carrots. Amazing! I mean, anything with ham and beans is great, but the smoke from the carrots combined with the HPG is pretty durn awesome. I may have accidentally discovered another realm in the culinary world.

Smoking a duck currently for dinner tonight. Not a wild duck but one of my farm raised ones I butchered a few weeks ago. First step was to brine over night then using a injector needle I poked holes through the skin but not into the meat to help the fat render. Next I coated the inside in salt then brushed orange sauce on the outside before sprinkling with salt. Using alder wood and cooking at 225 degrees I'm also brushing with the orange sauce every hour takes around 3 hours. Will update with the finished product.20221206_140931.jpg

Six summer sausages in the smoker closet right now.

Made six of them last week and have eaten one. Holy smokes, it was delicious! (Pun intended)

Glad I'd saved a bit of grinder meat to make more of them.

These have been my first foray into cured meats and smoking. The smoker was a $35 Little Chief from Craigslist. It does a single temp that is only high enough to really only add some hickory flavor, so I need to finish these in the oven at a low temp later. Needless to say I'm already researching more serious smokers and making some kind of curing system to get into some more advanced charcuterie. Looks like we've got a new off-season hobby forming.

IMG_4186.jpeg

Six summer sausages in the smoker closet right now.

Made six of them last week and have eaten one. Holy smokes, it was delicious! (Pun intended)

Glad I'd saved a bit of grinder meat to make more of them.

These have been my first foray into cured meats and smoking. The smoker was a $35 Little Chief from Craigslist. It does a single temp that is only high enough to really only add some hickory flavor, so I need to finish these in the oven at a low temp later. Needless to say I'm already researching more serious smokers and making some kind of curing system to get into some more advanced charcuterie. Looks like we've got a new off-season hobby forming.

View attachment 254349
Welcome to the club!

Doing St. Louis spareribs tonight. I prefer a 2-2-1 cook time over 3-2-1 at 225-250 degrees. First coat with a little peanut oil then cover in your favorite rub and smoke 2 hours spraying twice with apple juice. Next wrap in foil with squeeze butter, turbinado sugar(or brown sugar), honey, and tiger sauce and back on the smoker for 2 more hours.20221213_134741.jpg20221213_141110.jpg

Doing St. Louis spareribs tonight. I prefer a 2-2-1 cook time over 3-2-1 at 225-250 degrees. First coat with a little peanut oil then cover in your favorite rub and smoke 2 hours spraying twice with apple juice. Next wrap in foil with squeeze butter, turbinado sugar(or brown sugar), honey, and tiger sauce and back on the smoker for 2 more hours.View attachment 255208View attachment 255209
What's the difference with 2-2-1? Texture?

Do the bones still slide out easily? For making boneless rib slab sandwiches? If so id love to shave off an hour.View attachment 255247View attachment 255248
No for that stick to 3-2-1. The 2-2-1 when done right your bite should break away with basically no resistance yet the rest of the meat doesn't pull off to. Should be a bite mark so clean you dentist could identify you by it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back