What's on the smoker today?

Got a question for you smokers out there. I've heard about using mustard for a spice binder on the meat. I tried it Sunday with a prime rib roast and was not impressed with the results. Seems like the mustard sealed out the smoke and didn't let the roast get the flavor or the smoke ring like normal. it me, the cold temps or will the mustard act like a barrier to the smoke penetrating the meat?
I’ve tried it on pork shoulder, but not beef. It wasn’t bad, but also didn’t think it really made it any better, so I’ve reverted to just a straight dry rub.

No mustard for me just a little vegetable or olive oil rubbed on the outside before the rub is added to help it adhere. Except with pork shoulder and butts they're injected with a vinegar/apple juice mixture then rubbed (the injection covering the outside helps the rub stick and rehydrate) before being wrapped up and allowed to rest for a few hours to overnight.

Yep, the mustard was an experiment and was deemed a failure. To me it wasn't letting the smoke through.

Was arranging the chest freezer making room and getting old stuff to the top. Found a few deer roast decided to corn one, make pastrami from another and smoke the last for dinner. Rubbed it then smoked at 160-180 degrees for 2 1/2 hours before reverse searing on the grill.
20221227_152513.jpg20221227_152706.jpg20221227_184244.jpg20221227_184423.jpg

trying a new one today, wife shot a nice goose in back yard so through some prime rib rub on the breasts and in the smoker. see how it turns out. smoking the legs and thighs as well but will most likely finish those in the pressure cooker to get them tender and sauce but should hold the smoke.

trying a new one today, wife shot a nice goose in back yard so through some prime rib rub on the breasts and in the smoker. see how it turns out. smoking the legs and thighs as well but will most likely finish those in the pressure cooker to get them tender and sauce but should hold the smoke.
Follow up on how those breasts turn out. I've often wondered if leaving the skin on and wrapping it around the breast like a " pig in a blanket " would help keep them moist.
I haven't shot may geese, but I do enjoy making jerky out of the breasts

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back