What's on the smoker today?

Prime rib roast I did the other day for our Christmas party. Coated it in butter mixed with salt, pepper, and a bit of my favorite beef rub. Then smoked it at 250-275 for 4 hours before switching to the other smoker that was at 475+ to reverse sear it about 4 minutes a side. Let rest at least 30 minutes and enjoy.IMG_3913.jpg20221223_103334.jpgIMG_3916.jpg

Do you notice any difference leaving the fat cap on?
I feel it helps protect the meat and helps retain moisture so nothing dries out. Definitely a little trade off with getting that perfect sear on the outside. But I've found with prime rib after you start slicing the average eater couldn't tell the difference so I go with the more forgiving method.

Got a question for you smokers out there. I've heard about using mustard for a spice binder on the meat. I tried it Sunday with a prime rib roast and was not impressed with the results. Seems like the mustard sealed out the smoke and didn't let the roast get the flavor or the smoke ring like normal. it me, the cold temps or will the mustard act like a barrier to the smoke penetrating the meat?

Got a question for you smokers out there. I've heard about using mustard for a spice binder on the meat. I tried it Sunday with a prime rib roast and was not impressed with the results. Seems like the mustard sealed out the smoke and didn't let the roast get the flavor or the smoke ring like normal. it me, the cold temps or will the mustard act like a barrier to the smoke penetrating the meat?
Until recently I've always used mustard binders, mostly because I didn't think seasoning would stick without it.

Stopped using it on the last few cooks. I don't see any difference in results, therefore I stopped using it. Just pat the meat dry before seasoning and it will become naturally tacky

Until recently I've always used mustard binders, mostly because I didn't think seasoning would stick without it.

Stopped using it on the last few cooks. I don't see any difference in results, therefore I stopped using it. Just pat the meat dry before seasoning and it will become naturally tacky
This 100%

I dont use mustard either, as long as the surface of the meat is dry it's not necessary. I like to dry rub and then really tightly wrap it in over sized plastic wrap for a day or overnight minimum.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back