What's on the smoker today?

It’s been a dream of mine for three years now, to have a wild turkey for Thanksgiving… I finally got a turkey with my bow this year and was able to make that happen. I brined it overnight, covered it with seasoning and put it in the smoker with apple and mesquite chips for about six hours. I lightly “basted” it every hour with a little butter, maple syrup and brown sugar. I think it came out delicious, it tasted like a turkey would but noticeably tougher than a store-bought turkey. Given the amount of food on Thanksgiving I had plenty of leftovers that I put in the slow cooker and made the meateater-style recipe for beer and citrus turkey tacos. Those also came out delicious, and I have leftovers for my dad and his wife!

Forgive me idk how to truss a turkey properly and I kinda slacked on the picture taking. 🤣🤪

Attachments

• AE256B64-C8E5-4D4C-AB5F-30BAEBFDE703.jpeg
    AE256B64-C8E5-4D4C-AB5F-30BAEBFDE703.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • D0A3A537-6FCA-4D88-B0D0-2DBD760888F1.jpeg
    D0A3A537-6FCA-4D88-B0D0-2DBD760888F1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • AC674E7B-9CF6-40B1-A382-CA0C61B5B5E2.jpeg
    AC674E7B-9CF6-40B1-A382-CA0C61B5B5E2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
It’s been a dream of mine for three years now, to have a wild turkey for Thanksgiving… I finally got a turkey with my bow this year and was able to make that happen. I brined it overnight, covered it with seasoning and put it in the smoker with apple and mesquite chips for about six hours. I lightly “basted” it every hour with a little butter, maple syrup and brown sugar. I think it came out delicious, it tasted like a turkey would but noticeably tougher than a store-bought turkey. Given the amount of food on Thanksgiving I had plenty of leftovers that I put in the slow cooker and made the meateater-style recipe for beer and citrus turkey tacos. Those also came out delicious, and I have leftovers for my dad and his wife!

Forgive me idk how to truss a turkey properly and I kinda slacked on the picture taking. 🤣🤪
I've not had any luck with wild turkey, with multiple prep methodologies...to the point I don't take em anymore.

Actually just tried one. Interior is a bit crunchy while the exterior is soft, and it doesn't trip the buds like I hoped. Needs some kind of zip which I haven't figured out yet. Probably will recycle this batch into soups, etc.

So far today, this is the clear winner:
1670198063061.jpeg

Actually just tried one. Interior is a bit crunchy while the exterior is soft, and it doesn't trip the buds like I hoped. Needs some kind of zip which I haven't figured out yet. Probably will recycle this batch into soups, etc.

So far today, this is the clear winner:
View attachment 253608
Maybe coated with brown sugar and a touch of cayenne.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back