Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What's on the smoker today?

Haven't checked in here in a bit, everything looks great.
Found out the oak wood we had waiting for us in Texas at Christmas was red oak.
Beautiful wood so I'm trying some Santa Maria style seasoning.
Red oak smoked flake sea salt and 6 different cracked peppercorns. Going to add some dehydrated garlic from my garden and been thinking about adding some dried guajillo chile flakes.

Salt got a day's head start and will probably get another day after the peppercorns come off. It needs a good 18-20 hours.
DSCN3653 copy.jpg

After battling the wind and the smoker today, I gave up and mixed my seasoning. The salt did get 18 hrs of smoke though.
Flavor is great. red oak smoked seas salt, red oak smoked cracked peppercorns, dried garlic and and dried guajillo chile flakes.
Left this container chunkier and the other got ground a little finer.

DSCN3659 copy.jpg

my wife alerted me yesterday that we would be having friends over for dinner tonight and that they specifically requested smoked deer burgers

i haven't done my grinding yet from this past fall, so i hastily pulled a couple packages of grind pile out of the freezer, ran to costco for some pork belly for fat, ground up small batch of about 3.7 pounds of burger and got to cookin

as usual my 80/20 plan turned into at least 75/25

IMG-7125.jpgIMG-7126.jpgIMG-7129.jpgIMG-7135.jpg

Last edited:
my wife alerted me yesterday that we would be having friends over for dinner tonight and that they specifically requested smoked deer burgers

i haven't done my grinding yet from this past fall, so i hastily pulled a couple packages of grind pile out of the freezer, ran to costco for some pork belly for fat, ground up small batch of about 3.7 pounds of burger and got to cookin

as usual my 80/20 plan turned into at least 75/25

View attachment 170002View attachment 170006View attachment 170005View attachment 170004
Bacon on the grill!

Bacon on the grill!

yeah it seems silly to put bacon on the smoker, redundant i guess.... overly carcinogenic maybe?

but leaving it on there for an hour or so then putting it in the inside oven to finish it off slowly at like 350 creates quite a nice product

my wife is finally getting used to the fact that when i cook dinner (which is essentially always) it's going to take at least 100% longer than one would normally expect for dinner

Back