Caribou Gear Tarp

What's on the smoker today?

Mine is similiar. 1/3 cup kosher, 1/3 cup brown sugar... thats it. Coat the pieces and let them sit in the fridge turning them in the bag everyday. This batch was only a 5 day brine and it was not as salty.

One thing I want to try is rubbing course black pepper right as it gets a bit sticky after the rinse/dry and sitting in the fridge overnight.
I have had really good luck doing the EQ Method for curing bacon. Comes out a little sweet, salty, but not too salty.

I’ll also throw in some black pepper, sometimes chili powder, or paprika, when forming the pellicle.

Oh boy! NM maple hickory!IMG_0018 (4).JPGIMG_0019 (4).JPG
Complex,smokey,hint of maple/sweet and smoked chiles. Sugars burn in pan and it gets a crisp blackened edge from chile/sugar ,when cooked in haste ,still warm. Warmth on the lips, subtle.

Thanks for the smoke tube tip Ken! Worked great, good heavy smoke added for almost 4 hrs. Smoked 5 hrs.
It should even be better after it cools in fridge.

So I got some good greens from the produce lady and wanted bacon/greens & cornbread.
Cooked 4 slices of the new bacon then dropped half a chopped onion in the pan & cooked them down and added chopped collards in to cook. Salt & pepper add 2 strips crumbled bacon in and waited for the corn bread.
A plate of greens 2 strips of bacon on the side and buttered cornbread. Perfect.

Stopped by the pie store earlier and gave sample of bacon for neighbors to try.

Figured Texas when I saw the half chicken. Some good BBQ in that area.
Yes, folks down here take bbq pretty seriously, and there is an abundance of good stuff around. A couple of the teams at this event had won “world championships” (I still don’t really understand the sanctioning body that declares a “world bbq champion” I suspect it’s just some drunks on Saturday night declaring “world champion”) but they did win this event too, and their stuff was fantastic. Though in my very biased and unequivocally correct un-humble opinion my brisket was better. 😉

Though in my very biased and unequivocally correct un-humble opinion my brisket was better. 😉

I'll be the judge of that! Seriously, I have NEVER had brisket better than I do here at home. I gave up going to BBQ joints because even if they were famous, well known places I was always disappointed by what they had. Color me a BBQ snob.

Today bbq cook off, didn’t win but dang it was good. Did win 2nd place Dutch oven with peach cobblerView attachment 214314View attachment 214315View attachment 214316

I'll be the judge of that! Seriously, I have NEVER had brisket better than I do here at home. I gave up going to BBQ joints because even if they were famous, well known places I was always disappointed by what they had. Color me a BBQ snob.
There's a place in southern illinois that gets all kinds of publicity and awards, wasn't impressed. About 30 min east of there is a little BBQ whole in the wall shack that blows it out of the water.

There's a place in southern illinois that gets all kinds of publicity and awards, wasn't impressed. About 30 min east of there is a little BBQ whole in the wall shack that blows it out of the water.
Been to TWO famous places in Memphis and they were supposed to be great. Nope. Several others down south that were not very good either. They all may have had one item we liked but never brisket and rarely ribs. BBQ spaghetti is way overrated! Hell, the best burnt ends I've had were in Fairbanks, Alaska! Been there twice. 👍

Used some elk trim today and made 15 pounds of snack sticks. First portion (pictured) was about 9 pounds worth and took 4.5 hours on 190°. I rotate them often.

Attachments

• ED08B521-9069-418B-9CF3-8F35A346A3F2.jpeg
    ED08B521-9069-418B-9CF3-8F35A346A3F2.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 74702EEF-7256-4AA8-BC4B-150E4B5C046B.jpeg
    74702EEF-7256-4AA8-BC4B-150E4B5C046B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Used some elk trim today and made 15 pounds of snack sticks. First portion (pictured) was about 9 pounds worth and took 4.5 hours on 190°. I rotate them often.
question for you guys making sticks. I can never get them the way way I want them. Seems like the texture is too coarse in the meat which I grind twice and the casing doesn't quite stick to the meat like it should? Suggestions?

question for you guys making sticks. I can never get them the way way I want them. Seems like the texture is too coarse in the meat which I grind twice and the casing doesn't quite stick to the meat like it should? Suggestions?
I gave up on the casing sticking. I double ground these through the biggest plate. Have tried a smaller plate for your grinder? Usually after they sit in the fridge or freezer for any time at all the casings seem to want to peel off, but at the point it’s already done it’s job so I let it bother me. I also prefer mine more coarse and dryer than what you buy at the store. They aren’t dry, but don’t seem like a wet mush.

I gave up on the casing sticking. I double ground these through the biggest plate. Have tried a smaller plate for your grinder? Usually after they sit in the fridge or freezer for any time at all the casings seem to want to peel off, but at the point it’s already done it’s job so I let it bother me. I also prefer mine more coarse and dryer than what you buy at the store. They aren’t dry, but don’t seem like a wet mush.
Yah tried smaller plates. I like it coarser too just going for presentation I guess because I'm ocd. I just do my friend into either summer sausage or ground jerky, mostly ground jerky.

Last edited:
Yah tried smaller plates. I like it coarser too just going for presentation I guess because I'm ocd. I just do my friend into either summer sausage or ground jerky, mostly ground jerky.
I used to cut off all the ends and save them for myself. Then the product I would share with people would look good. Finally said what a waste of time. It’s already time consuming enough, why make it longer. Have you tried Rinsing them in cold water right when you take them off heat?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back