Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What's on the smoker today?

Smoked up 30 lbs of pork shoulder yesterday. One made it to our friends for SB, the other 3 are pulled and ready to be frozen for easy dinners.

Came out well, but my bark is pretty hard. I think I put them on the smoke too cold (in the middle) so it took longer to get to 170 and wrap.

Lessened learned.

View attachment 212407
We always do the sane when I make them, couple extra frozen for easy meals. Did you wrap them?

We always do the sane when I make them, couple extra frozen for easy meals. Did you wrap them?
Yup, with brown paper (a la Texas style) at 170 degrees. But I let them sit in the fridge overnight and went on the smoke at 6:00 a.m. I didn’t let them come up to room temp before smoking, so the bark was much thicker.

Usually I buy them on the way home from work, rub, then sit in the counter until they hit the smoke at midnight.

It’s awesome making some ahead. It’s really not much more work to smoke 30 pounds than it is to smoke 5 pounds.

Yup, with brown paper (a la Texas style) at 170 degrees. But I let them sit in the fridge overnight and went on the smoke at 6:00 a.m. I didn’t let them come up to room temp before smoking, so the bark was much thicker.

Usually I buy them on the way home from work, rub, then sit in the counter until they hit the smoke at midnight.

It’s awesome making some ahead. It’s really not much more work to smoke 30 pounds than it is to smoke 5 pounds.
Yup paper here too. I've found that I'd rather smoke 8 4-pounders than 4 8-pounders. Little more bark and they just come out better. Agreed on making ahead especially with kids as you know.

Eye of round steaks with a TEENY bit of marbling from a 412lb mule deer, and a tenderloin from a 300lb mule deer.

Attachments

• 406DED5A-8FF5-4D68-B4E8-B4C74173C0CD.jpeg
    406DED5A-8FF5-4D68-B4E8-B4C74173C0CD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 1651B4CC-2B90-4209-9990-C49F0A37995F.jpeg
    1651B4CC-2B90-4209-9990-C49F0A37995F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Saturday was cold smoking day here. 8 pounds of week long brined pork belly hit the Treager for 3 hours of cold smoke from the Smoke Daddy. I vacuum packaged it up and put it in the freezer. We now have 15 pounds of it to last for a while. I may have to grab another belly before meat prices go up again.

bacon.jpg

Is the pizza oven worth it? Both cost and PITA of storing it?
I think so. We really enjoy the pizzas off it. I just put it back in the box when I convert my GMG back to a smoker. I think I paid $130 or something and we have used it 4-5 times since Christmas.

20220226_211521.jpg
Smoking a 24lb pork shoulder off a pig I raised for a family get together at my parents tomorrow. Injected with apple juice rubbed down with my own spice blend and I'm spraying it with apple/white grape juice every hour. Set the smoker at 225 and started at 3pm this afternoon shooting to be done around 1PM tomorrow.

View attachment 213614
Smoking a 24lb pork shoulder off a pig I raised for a family get together at my parents tomorrow. Injected with apple juice rubbed down with my own spice blend and I'm spraying it with apple/white grape juice every hour. Set the smoker at 225 and started at 3pm this afternoon shooting to be done around 1PM tomorrow.
Man that looks good, thought about injecting the last few butts I've done need to give it a try.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back