PEAX Equipment

What's on the smoker today?

Brisket, according to the Texans that taught me:

Trim fat until there’s a consistent 1/4” or so on the outside. Heavy salt and pepper the outside. When you think there’s too much, put more on.

Get smoker to a consistent 225 - 235.

Place brisket(s) on fat cap down.

Smoke until meat hits ~175 or it stalls out, then pull it and wrap with paper. Get paper good and tight, and sealed as best you can.

Put it back on the smoke fat cap up until temp hits 205. Pull, and ideally let rest for an hour or more. I’ve had great results letting them rest wrapped, and stored in a cooler until your ready to eat.

I did brisket for the guys on site a couple weeks ago and pulled them at 6:30 a.m. and meat was still warm enough to serve at 11:30.

I do brisket two ways my "Texas" style and "competition" style.

Texas style: Trim fat then rub with salt, pepper, and dry garlic liberally. Smoke fat cap down at 225 until it hits 170 the pull wrap in paper and put back on until it hits at least 201 internal temp. I don't have specific temp I pull brisket as they all seem to be a bit different but after 201 I check often more for feel then temp. I have come to tell by how easy the meat probe goes in if it's ready or not. Then let rest for at least a hour.

Competition: Trim fat then inject with a commercial mix (I like kosmos) or beef base Au jus mix and let rest in a large bag (I use crockpot liners) for a few hours. Then rub I use a commercial mix that besides salt, pepper, and garlic also has some cayenne, paprika, brown sugar, and more. Then into a foil pan and onto the smoker between 225 and 250 depending on size. Once I hit 170 or I think the meat has enough smoke on it I cover the pan with foil. I'll pull using the same method as above and also let rest at least a hour.

Should I ship you some more goose meat lol
My dad and I went to South Dakota to shoot snow geese one spring about 5 years ago. Googled a recipe for goose jerky and it was dynamite. Switched my venison from ground jerky to whole muscle and made a few tweaks. It’s fantastic. So, send me some goose!

I just threw a chunk of meat on the traeger. Rubbed in dirty bird seasoning. Will see.

500 lbs of ribs & trimmings for the Children’s Miracle Network benefit today. We have gone as much as 2000# for Sheppard Air Force Base, 1500# for our North TX Oil Association. About 7-8 cooks per year.
And THAT, my friends, is how you go big or go home! Wish I could have checked that out!

500 lbs of ribs & trimmings for the Children’s Miracle Network benefit today. We have gone as much as 2000# for Sheppard Air Force Base, 1500# for our North TX Oil Association. About 7-8 cooks per year.
Reminds me of the Santa Maria BBQ's the Portagee Hall would do and the local farmers market every Thursday night on the central coast. Poly boosters,Elks,Moose,Kiwanas would all join up for the football team & Madden's benefits.

That's good on you Ken!

When people ask me if there’s anything about TX I miss, this is the answer right here. I miss the food, I miss cooking, I miss BBQ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back