What's on the smoker today?

I've cooked on it all and don't understand the hate for pellet cookers. I've heard guys say they don't give the meat enough smoke and I call BS. I've done blind taste testing using a pellet smoker and offset stick burner on friends and family they couldn't tell which was which. The only difference is the amount of work one has to do to keep a consistent temp. I have a cinder block pit, barrel woodchip burner, offset stick burner, and 4 pellet smokers and Imo the pellet smokers ability to keep a consistent temp is what makes them the best. I think part of the disdain is the lack of work and prep that goes along with a pellet smoker. Baby sit a whole hog for 16 hours being cooked on a cinder block pit and I guarantee easy starts to sound real good.20220408_081442.jpg20220408_081519.jpg

I've cooked on it all and don't understand the hate for pellet cookers. I've heard guys say they don't give the meat enough smoke and I call BS. I've done blind taste testing using a pellet smoker and offset stick burner on friends and family they couldn't tell which was which. The only difference is the amount of work one has to do to keep a consistent temp. I have a cinder block pit, barrel woodchip burner, offset stick burner, and 4 pellet smokers and Imo the pellet smokers ability to keep a consistent temp is what makes them the best. I think part of the disdain is the lack of work and prep that goes along with a pellet smoker. Baby sit a whole hog for 16 hours being cooked on a cinder block pit and I guarantee easy starts to sound real good.View attachment 218375View attachment 218376

I got grill envy going on

Baby sit a whole hog for 16 hours being cooked on a cinder block pit and I guarantee easy starts to sound real good.
Agreed, never cooked a hog in a pit, I've done butts this way. We've got a homemade rotisserie hog cooker, so I totally agree with where your coming from.

I love pellet grills, I have two. But my buddies rotisserie smoker gives much better flavor IMO. It’s commercial size, so too expensive. You put one bag of charcoal, and chunks of your preferred wood, light it on one end and it will hold temp for an average of 18 hrs.

I'm gonna have to up my smoker game and get a pellet grill or other non-electric smoker like that rotisserie you mention (don't hate on me to bad!!)

Apple smoked chicken ready to carve.

View attachment 218614
What temp you smoke it at? Looks like you nailed the skin. Always thought a whole or half chicken was one of the more difficult things to smoke and really nail. Fine line to get the dark meat done and tender while not drying out the breast and getting that bite through skin.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back