What's on the smoker today?

Last edited:
ML decided she was going to throw me a party this Friday. In order to feed the crowd, I bought 6 racks of baby back pork ribs and seasoned them with Pappy's. Now since I was going to be gone all week, I smoked them the weekend before in my Bradley smoker for 4 hours or so as hot as that little electric element would do. Probably never got over 200. Used Hickory Pucks. No sauce during the smoke.

When I got up Friday I put the ribs in the oven in foil covered pans with a mixture of Chicken Broth , apple juice and a splash of Apple cider Vinegar. Covered the ribs and pan with foil and preheated the oven to 250. 3 pans held 4 half racks each.

After 2 hours I checked the meat temp and they were still only 140. Turned up the heat to 300 and put Kinder's Mild BBQ on 2 pans worth, left one pan sans sauce since some folks don't care for BBQ sauce in my family.

An hour before the party I put a couple TriTip roasts on the grill. Kinda forgot about them and got a fair amount of char on the outside. Pulled them at 120, added them to a foil pan with the steaming fluid and let it rest in a cooler.

Party was a success, Had maybe 3/4 pound of Tri Tip left, and 4 half racks of sauced ribs, and 2 half racks of unsauced ribs. Just vacuum sealed them and put them in the freezer for camping meals.

Post Script: ML decided she was going to get me a 3 in 1 Gas/Charcoal/Offset Smoker for the occasion. It didn't sit right with me since it was like $650. So I upgraded my Element to 900W and ordered a PID for the Bradley, and I'll get a Basic Gas Weber.

Last edited:
Tired of paying another man to make my sausage. I had a grinder and a slicer so I finally decided to jump in and buy a stuffer and a vac sealer.

First round - elk jalapeño and cheese summer sausage and wild turkey teriyaki snack sticks.

Summer sausage is amazing. Sticks are good but not great. Hard to get the texture right on the turkey. To cook it high enough to be safe seems to dry it out.

IMG_7368.jpegIMG_7370.jpegIMG_7374.jpegIMG_7377.jpegIMG_7410.jpegIMG_7412.jpeg

BTW - those Hakka stuffers are amazing for the price. I got mine for $135. All metal including the gears.

I noticed about every influencer uses Meat! stuffers now - because they are sponsored. Chud used a Hakka before he got sponsored and has a video where he explains how the Hakka is “better.” Not to knock on Meat! or Weston, but for my money I landed in the Hakka and couldn’t be happier.

Also most folks recommend the high temp cheese for smoked sausage. I don’t like paying $20lb for some laboratory cheese. Aged harder cheeses (like cheddar) have a higher melting point to begin with. I also read that if you cube it up and let it dry uncovered for a couple days in the fridge it raises the melting point further. I can confirm this works. I found a good 2 year cheddar on sale for $8lb. Cubed it left it uncovered for two days and it held together amazing in the final product and that 2yr grass fed tastes a lot better than any high temp stuff I’ve tried. IMG_7341.jpeg

You have recipe?
For 3-4 pounds of whole muscle:
1 cup cold water
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki
1/4 Worcestershire
3/4 to 1 cup of hi-country seasoning

Usually try to let it sit for at least 12 hours (overnight). If it sits longer than 36 it becomes very salty.

Edit to add: I found the recipe for snow goose and my wife like it so much I switched from making ground jerky to whole muscle. And don't add any more salt than from the seasoning, that will also make it too salty.

Last edited:
BTW - those Hakka stuffers are amazing for the price. I got mine for $135. All metal including the gears.

I noticed about every influencer uses Meat! stuffers now - because they are sponsored. Chud used a Hakka before he got sponsored and has a video where he explains how the Hakka is “better.” Not to knock on Meat! or Weston, but for my money I landed in the Hakka and couldn’t be happier.

Also most folks recommend the high temp cheese for smoked sausage. I don’t like paying $20lb for some laboratory cheese. Aged harder cheeses (like cheddar) have a higher melting point to begin with. I also read that if you cube it up and let it dry uncovered for a couple days in the fridge it raises the melting point further. I can confirm this works. I found a good 2 year cheddar on sale for $8lb. Cubed it left it uncovered for two days and it held together amazing in the final product and that 2yr grass fed tastes a lot better than any high temp stuff I’ve tried. View attachment 321270

This is made in my hometown. I'm inspired by your experience. Thinking snack sticks. Advise?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back