What's on the smoker today?

Been scared of them but I’m gonna have to just suck it up and go for it.
Brisket? There is a learning curve, but even if you mess it up, you have meat for chopped sandwiches, chili etc. Your local smoker shops usually put on classes, usually they're conveniently held at a brewery lol. Lots of good info on the web and YouTube, there's a couple of brisket masters in this thread.

Been scared of them but I’m gonna have to just suck it up and go for it.
If you can, but whole not just the flat. It's much more forgiving. Then buy the thickest, fattest one you can find. Err on the side of less fat trimming for the flat and more fat trimming for the point. And give it plenty of time to cook. I almost always do brisket overnight anymore as they can rest forever and still be great.

Then buy the thickest, fattest one you can find.
Nope, waste of money paying $4 a pound for 3” of fat.

I check the briskets every time I go to the store. I look for a 80%ish meat one with a small fat cap, no more than 3/4”. I am able to find 3-4 a year and just freeze them when I find them. I will dig thru 100s of them that should have been ground due the amount of fat.

Nope, waste of money paying $4 a pound for 3” of fat.

I check the briskets every time I go to the store. I look for a 80%ish meat one with a small fat cap, no more than 3/4”. I am able to find 3-4 a year and just freeze them when I find them. I will dig thru 100s of them that should have been ground due the amount of fat.
I agree, when you have the experience to do so. But for a first timer the extra fat adds forgiveness, especially on the flat.

I tend to keep the extra fat and trimmings for grinding into venison later anyway.

Thanks guys. Definitely a first timer with brisket. Hell it took a while just to figure out steaks again when I first got my Traeger with the learning curve that comes along with pellet grills. So I can use all the forgiveness available with a piece of meat. Haha

Thanks guys. Definitely a first timer with brisket. Hell it took a while just to figure out steaks again when I first got my Traeger with the learning curve that comes along with pellet grills. So I can use all the forgiveness available with a piece of meat. Haha
Just follow the instructions from Traeger on temps and season accordingly. I have yet to have a bad one when I follow the steps.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back