Caribou Gear Tarp

What's my problem

Danvet

I'm attempting my first ARCHERY elk hunt and I am failing miserably!!!! I've archery hunted deer in the south before, in the 60's and 70's with a recurve. About 3 months ago, at 68 YO, I decided that I wanted to hunt elk in the rut (rifle elk hunted many times). Bought a compound bow (just a little different than recurve LOL) and religiously practiced, which I'm totally enjoying. Bought a bugle and cow call and religiously practiced. Presently, over the last 5 days, I've walked about 10-12 miles per day, have not seen an elk, heard an elk, seen very little signs of elk!! I'm hunting the Pike NF in CO at all elevations except above timberline. Any one wanna buy a bow??? HELP!!

If you aren't finding fresh sign, you need to move. My suggestion climb to the highest point you can. Get there before dawn breaks and glass, do the same thing in the evening" dont leave till it is absolutely dark". If you dont dee anything move to another area. Good luck

If you aren’t seeing sign the elk aren’t there. Usually that means heading higher early in the season. Also north facing slopes are cooler and tend to hold elk. Good luck!

It’s all good. Patience, I killed a nice bull with my bow when I was 67 in Arizona. Hiked my arse off. I’ll be in Pike Natl Forest next week with a ML elk tag. Kind of warm there right now?

Agree with above, focus on the north facing conifer dominated slopes up high, get in the timber, follow little creeks and seeps up until you start seeing sign. If no sign, try a different drainage or mountain. Then circle back in a few days and check again. You have to hunt where there is sign, and I'll bet with the heat, they are trying to stay dark and cool.

Good luck Danvet! Sounds to me like you are doing everything right, just not in the right place or time. Sounds like the elk aren’t cooperating. I have confidence in your ability to fill your tag based on the work you are putting in. Keep it up and let us know how you do.

Just a thought, but you might be moving too much. I'm a big fan of letting my glass do work covering ground for me. I may not be the best elk hunter in the world, but I seem to have better encounters when I'm covering 4-6 miles at most in a given day.

Are you seeing other hunters or sign of other hunters hitting the area? Sometimes the wildlife biologists with the state wildlife department will offer up some advice if you aren't seeing them in your chosen spot - maybe they would have some recommendations. Like others have said, water and "cool" north facing slopes are key. I grew up a flat lander in SW Kansas and know it isn't easy to go from there to the high country - kudos to you for putting in the miles. Walking the corn fields for pheasants this fall will be a breeze after this!! Good luck!

no expert here but its taken me a day of two to find elk on some trips I hike to good vantage point in the dark then listen and glass moving out the valley checking all draws and open areas and if I didnt find any then drop into next side of mountain the next day doing the same thing checking for water , feeding areas ,north sides of mtns staying positive and enjoying the adventure is a big key

Stay positive, slow down, put the wind in your face, and convince yourself that the elk are at the next spot you have picked. Repeat this over and over until you find elk, keep in mind this might take a few years.

RLTW

Back