What you think

since i know you have a 7wsm i think you should use it.the 270 wsm will probablly do the job with proper shot placement but a 22 will kill a deer with a perfect shot.many elk have been killed with a 270 but shots were pickier than with a 338 for example. if you are set on it use it but ill tell you im taking my 300 win mag and my 7wsm to wyoming this year. i may never get a chance to hunt elk again so i will make sure the gun doesnt cause me to eat tag soup.

Meathead.....I agree with tnctcb. If you have a 7mm WSM, I would use it. That .014" difference in diameter shows up markedly in bullet frontal area and sectional density. Both are important in evaluating killing power.....If you decide on your .270 WSM, be sure and use the 140 grain Fail Safe Supreme load......Good Luck!
smile.gif

If you have both of those guns id take which ever one shoots the best and feels the best, theyll both take a elk, Alls i have is a regular ol 270 which is my deer and elk gun. It gets the job done with 150 noslers on elk. Im trying a new bullett, 140 grain remington core lokt ultra. Hope to find out how it does on a animal this year. A guy shot a elk with one last year out of his 270 and it was a 1 shot deal.

If you feel more comfortable with the .270 I suggest you use it. I always thought an elk was a thin skin anyway.
confused.gif

I have only killed a couple of elk, but the 280 did the trick. I was always pretty proud of the 280 until I got to this site. Now the term 280 seems to have a negative connotation.
biggrin.gif

In My Opinion:

The 270 will put elk on the ground consistently with quality bullets and good shot placement. Use whatever rifle you feel most confident with.

Myself, if I'm rifling for elk, I take the .300 winny with 180 grain hornady's. It tips them over smartly. I've also killed 3 large bulls with the old 30-06 with 165 grain hornadys.

The difference between a .270 (.277 diameter) and a 7mm (.284 diameter) is only .007. Use a good 140 or 150 premium bullet and put it in the right place - use the rifle that you are most comfortable with and have the most confidence in.

Aren't the ballistics in the .270WSM almost identitcal to the 7mm Remington magnum? I'd say it's a toss up. My friend shoots all his elk with the regular .270 win cartridge.

I have taken several Elk with both a 7mm mag and a 270 win. haven't had one go more than 20 yards yet in my 7mm 154gr Horanaday the 270 win 150gr Hornaday use the one you are most comforable with Bigger doesn't always mean better I found that 175gr bullets went straight through an Elk from my 7mm and i tried Noslers they were even worse no expansion. Good Luck

Hey Dude,

Dont stress over which oneto use.
Either one will knock an elk down if thru both lungs .......... arrows do it so a bullet is no big deal. That said:
Use premium bullets!
My .270 did fine for my first elk hunt.
I used 150 grain nosler partitions, it was a 302 net 6X6 that the locals called a nose dragger = pretty big for N.W. Colorado
biggrin.gif

I hope my archery bull for this year is that big!

HAVE FUN MAN!

When hunting Elk out West, it is very important to use the biggest caliber you can buy. Nobody wants to be the guy in camp shooting the smallest gun, as it is directly related to having the smallest pe*ker....
wink.gif

Seriously, everybody has an opinion, and a reason, but the bottom line is, a Bull Elk is a tough animal to bring down, so get the most margin you can by shooting the caliber you can put into the desired area as much as possible, and keep shooting, as long as it is upright.

All the stories of "one shot, and didn't go more than 20 yards" are a bunch of BS. You can load a set of lungs with the best that Nosler sells, and if he can make it 75 yards, he could be down in a hole that will take you two days to get him out of. Get him down, and get him anchored as fast as you can...

Now if you are planning on shooting Cows, well, then the .270 is fine, lots of wimmin shoot them...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Interesting stuff here, but I will have to disagree with the arrow and bullet comparison.
smile.gif
The result may be the same, but the reason is usaully different.

MTMiller,

You are right, and to prove the difference, imagine dropping a 160 grain bullet on your hand from a distance of 1 foot.

Then, imagine dropping a broadhead with an arrow attached on your hand from 1 foot, and see if the there is a difference...
wink.gif

(Disclaimer: Before anybody actually does this test, please go to the Emergency Room to perform the activity. This should not be done at home....)

The first Elk I got was with a .270.... But I've been anchoring them to the Ground ever since wit hthe 300 WIn mag, And would NEVER go back.

.270 works, but it's limited too. Know your shot placement and shoot straight
smile.gif

There are a lot of elk taken every year with the 270 just as there are with the 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 mag, 338 and the list goes on. I would expect you will be within 150-200 yards of any elk we see. If they are past that, they will probably be so far past that you would need a 50 BMG to reach them. We will be on some open meadows in the morning and then pretty much in the timber most of the day.

I think if a person is going to hunt and shoot one or two elk in their lives, I'd use whatever you normally shoot deer with. I would use a tougher bullet, nosler partition or the like, and only take perfect broadside shots.

If you see yourself becoming a serious elk hunter, I believe you're doing yourself an injustice by shooting 270's, 30/06's, and anything smaller.

Heres why I think that.

I started hunting with a 6mm and killed a couple elk with it. Performed fair, but not an elk caliber at all.

I then went to a 30/06 and killed 15 elk with it. I shot 180 grain noslers and it worked pretty good. What I ran into was getting into a herd, taking a shot at an elk and not seeing the animal react to the hit. That always kind of bothered me. Also, I could see a wreck coming on anything but a perfect broadside shot. So, I have settled in on a 338 with 250 grain partitions. I have always known right away if the elk I shot with it are hit, they slump, flinch severely, etc. I've also taken some shots and killed elk very dead with that rifle that I know I would have lost or had one hell of long day if I would have used a smaller caliber with the same shot taken.

So, I guess I'd have to say that if given a choice any of the 300 magnums (with 200 grain bullets) is about the smallest caliber I'd personally use on elk.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd use whatever you normally shoot deer with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the dsame for both.. 300 WIN mag 190 grain.. from both deer/elk. Neve a mixup, Never a guess.
elkgrin.gif

HAHA.. They say a man that has Many guns know's guns.. A man with only one knows how to use it.

There is Alot of truth to that and I'm not saying that becasue I only use one gun. I have alot of friends that go to the Range and bring 15 guns to it. They are there for 2 hours and tinkering with guns and Adjusting guns all the time. Most of the Time if they grabbed one gun over another they wouldn't know what the their gun does at different distances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back