What you shoot these?

drahthaar

This is a .270 shell loaded with Barnes TTSX from Prograde ammo. Picked some up in sportsman's warehouse. Just saw these, tried reading up on them, but just isn't any info out there.
I know stores don't like you opening ammo boxes in the store, so I didn't see this until I got home. But this just doesn't look good to me.

It's a bad picture, but the bullet isn't seated completely to me? There are two grooves showing. I have never seen this. I am not any sort of bullet genius, so I am just asking for opinions about the safety of this, let alone the possible accuracy issues. Is the case overloaded with powder? Or is it just incompetence? Or is this just where barnes ttsx bullets end up in a .270?

I have a friend who loads those is his 257 Weatherby that way. He said he can only do it because it's a Weatherby. But to me those look iffy.

Are they are that way?

I have loaded up TSX bullets in the same manner and there are no issues. That's just where it ends up after I seated the bullet at the depth for my rifle. The grooves being exposed should not affect accuracy.

As long as the ogive isn't engaging the lands and there is sufficient depth to insure proper alignment there shouldn't be any problems. Re-measure your OAL and make sure you're within standards (OAL< 3.340). Compressing the powder is common in many loads, but make sure you have what you think you poured into the case also.

Those are the O rings grooved in the bullet. That's how they get a longer bullet with less friction (pressure) to travel down the barrel. They are not intended as crimping rings.

Shoot em!

I have loaded up TSX bullets in the same manner and there are no issues. That's just where it ends up after I seated the bullet at the depth for my rifle. The grooves being exposed should not affect accuracy.

This is correct.

I have some loads that are only seated to the middle groove, of which there are four.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you measure base to ogive? Do you know where your chamber is at? It could be right on the money at .050 off the lands. This is generally how my hand loads look. My factory barnes stuff is significantly off the lands like .10 +

As long as they fit in the magazine of the rifle, they are not loaded over length. I would have 0 qualms about shooting those.

Oh... And by the way... As someone who used to work behind the gun counter. If you ask to open the box, most of the time In My Experience, they will let you...

No experience with ttsx, but I wouldn't have an issue shooting those if they chamber. Looks like the ogive is really shallow, hence the proper seating depth may be ok, but the overall length is longer. There are probably 4 grooves on the bullet and enough bullet to hold them in place. Also looks like they're crimped into the grove.

I dunno much about the fine details of ammo, but I have some factory 270 Barnes 130 gr tipped TSX BT ammo and you can't see the rings. Although the pic below from the Barne's site is of a 30'06, my 270 cartridges look the same

BarnesVOR-TX_Box_LLLeftAmmo-e1366304011648.jpg

At first glance I thought this thread was going to be about the ownership of Prograde. mtmuley

OK thanks guys, I just flat out haven't seen factory loads like this. The other barnes bullets (factory) that I have don't look like this. I just got concerned and I wanted some opinions from guys that load their own and are much smarter than me!

Back