What would you do?

Djmann

so this year i have 2 wyoming preference points, and have been researching units for the last year or so. My issue is i have limited time this year(likely could have 7 consecutive days including travel for a hunt)would be coming from KY, and most of the units i see look to be difficult access to public land. Not looking for anyones honey holes, just recommendations or opinions. Not opposed to a trespass hunt if i could find one in a unit i can draw.

I expect apps to go up this year. I think that will make some places see point creep this year. Id say maybe wait one year or do the special draw to get into an area with a little better access. I think it's possible to find some good places though with two points.

Definitely pay the extra money for the special draw. With that you'll be able to find some units you can draw that have plenty of public access. In the regular draw you just don't have enough points.

does the special apply second choice as well, or only first choice?

Not super picky, this will be my first western hunt. Would like a representative buck, and possibly a doe if time isn’t an issue

Don’t mind hiking off the road a way and packing out either

im kinda thinking i want to try to hold on to my points, and work up a good strategy that will get me a decent second choice unit

im kinda thinking i want to try to hold on to my points, and work up a good strategy that will get me a decent second choice unit
Not really much strategy to it. Those “decent” types of units aren’t a guaranty anymore as second choice odds have really deteriorated. More like pick a 2nd choice unit and hope to get lucky. The “guaranteed” 2nd choice units aren’t what they used to be. Good luck.

so this year i have 2 wyoming preference points, and have been researching units for the last year or so. My issue is i have limited time this year(likely could have 7 consecutive days including travel for a hunt)would be coming from KY, and most of the units i see look to be difficult access to public land. Not looking for anyones honey holes, just recommendations or opinions. Not opposed to a trespass hunt if i could find one in a unit i can draw.

The last time I hunted Wyoming my hunt was over in 4hrs. You won’t have any problems getting a goat. You might try and maximize your pts with the special draw. You could start calling land owners too who generally welcome hunters for a fee. Trespass for antelope runs $350 - $500/ gun. Good luck.

The last time I hunted Wyoming my hunt was over in 4hrs. You won’t have any problems getting a goat. You might try and maximize your pts with the special draw. You could start calling land owners too who generally welcome hunters for a fee. Trespass for antelope runs $350 - $500/ gun. Good luck.
thanks. I am a little i wouldn't be able to make the most of my hunt if i only have a few days to get it done, but i keep hearing it should be more than enough

Seriously, you'll see a shooter buck on day 1 if 13" is enough. You could always just put in for doe tags, buy another pp, and learn the area.

Thanks guys, i'm definitely feeling more confident about this

Save your points, buy a point this year, and apply for some doe tags. You'll learn a lot about the hunt and most likely end up with some meat to bring home. Then you'll have experience to bring back when you do draw a buck tag.

If you can manage 3 days and get decent weather you should easily find animals. I've never hunted more than a day there on 2 trips with leftover tags for bucks. It's an easy hunt and a great first western experience. I really enjoy those trips may plan another soon.

Back