what would you do?

I like that idea of a youth hunt ^^.

Another funny one would have been to enroll the land in the walk in program right before deer season.

With people like that you have to fight fire with fire.

He needs to act and act right now and that includes the involvement of the Game and Fish despite what has happened between them in the past. If I were him I would also contact the neighbors and tell them what is going on.

I would get law enforcement notified of the incident, and declare the trespasser to be a trepasser. I would get a few well placed trail cameras installed to monitor those that would be attempting to access his land, (and possibly the Federal land beyond his private lands). Notifying the neighbors is a great idea as well.

Update; well I just got off the phone with my buddy.

He opted to call the sheriff who in turn called SDGF. As it turns out this individual is under investigation by SDGF for the same types of activities on 3 other properties in the state. SDGF wouldnt divulge any details to him but did say that theyve known about the guy for about 2 years. They advised him to put up hunting by written permission only signs, however, my buddy ( who wishes to remain anonymous) is disregarding their suggestion.

He told me hes not going to do anything, he will continue to allow hunters access to his land if they ask, even if only over the phone. His words to me were " I cant let one bad apple ruin it for the rest of em. I'll let fish and game handle him"

I thanked him on behalf of myself and all hunters and he hasnt even hunted himself in 35 years. This man truly is the salt of the earth type of fella, slow to anger, quick to forgive. I am a grown man and sometimes wish I possessed more of his forgiving nature.

I asked him to give me the guys website and all he said to me in a calm voice was " Nah, just let it go, I am"

I still cant get past the guy being such an ass after my buddy was kind enough to let a stranger hunt on his private land. Even though I wasnt there I know factually when my friend confronted this guy, it was in a friendly demeanor, its all he knows.

And in the end maybe the guy just doesnt know any better. After all he is a Texicant. Lol, sorry couldnt resist.

He opted to call the sheriff who in turn called SDGF. As it turns out this individual is under investigation by SDGF for the same types of activities on 3 other properties in the state. SDGF wouldnt divulge any details to him but did say that theyve known about the guy for about 2 years. They advised him to put up hunting by written permission only signs, however, my buddy ( who wishes to remain anonymous) is disregarding their suggestion.

He told me hes not going to do anything, he will continue to allow hunters access to his land if they ask, even if only over the phone. His words to me were " I cant let one bad apple ruin it for the rest of em. I'll let fish and game handle him"

I thanked him on behalf of myself and all hunters and he hasnt even hunted himself in 35 years. This man truly is the salt of the earth type of fella, slow to anger, quick to forgive. I am a grown man and sometimes wish I possessed more of his forgiving nature.

I asked him to give me the guys website and all he said to me in a calm voice was " Nah, just let it go, I am"

I still cant get past the guy being such an ass after my buddy was kind enough to let a stranger hunt on his private land. Even though I wasnt there I know factually when my friend confronted this guy, it was in a friendly demeanor, its all he knows.

And in the end maybe the guy just doesnt know any better. After all he is a Texicant. Lol, sorry couldnt resist.

Kudos to your friend, not sure I would feel the same after an apple that was that sh*tty.

Hope they throw the book and make an example out of the offender

I have never hunted SD but tell your friend thank you from myself for letting people enjoy hunting on his land.

What part of the state is he located in? I have some SD deer points burning a hole in my pocket all of the sudden! ;) :D

Yep, sure sounds like a great, easy-going fella! Gets kicked in the guts and taken for a ride, but holds no grudges. Yes, please give him our collective thanks! We need more folks just like him.

Wow, your buddy sounds like an exemplary human being that fully understands the meaning of the words generosity and grace.

Sounds like you're lucky to know someone like him.

I know the problem hasn't got anything to do with Texas, at least here in Washington we have no shortage of similar types. Many years ago I was pheasant hunting on my own farm, I saw a truck that wasn't familiar on private farm roads and stopped the guy. After I started asking him what he was doing, he informed me I was trespassing and I would have to leave. I'm guessing back then I didn't look old enough to be farming or something. Looking back it could have been almost comical, except I'm not as big a man as your friend and may have blown a gasket when my blood pressure spiked. Hopefully between F&G and the sheriff your friend's situation will get properly taken care of, he sounds like a great guy.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back