What would you do??

montanadogs

So this past weekend I had a bit of a delma. Here is the situation and the back story; Hiked into any area where we heard a few bulls bugling during the night. As we approached the drainage at 1st light we started hearing a big fuss above us. As it go lighter we could see 3 bulls fighting at the top of a ridge. The herd bull had his hands full and his cows were moving away from the fight. Right then I knew it was time to run the 1000 feet uphill through thick brush. As we got close to the top we slowed up caught our breath and headed to the edge of the clear cut were we last saw them. Nothing, they had moved on. About that time we heard more bugling further down the ridge and below us. We moved on cow calling with the occasional bugle. As we got close to the edge of the timber we decided that if we were to get onto a logging road that goes below them now we could cut them off. So off we went again running this time downhill through a clear cut. He hit the logging road listening to yet another fight in the timber. So we ran all out down the road. When the fighting stopped so did we. For the next 15 min we would hear a bugle and cow calls from the timber. They had bedded down we guessed. Not wanting to really jump them, we decided that if I was to go up above the timer and bugle then have him bugle down below we could get the herd bull fired up or maybe one of the sat. bulls. As I approached the edge of the timber on the logging road I heard a bugle/grunt above me a few hundred feet away. I then quickly moved below the road to an area where I had a small cliff at my back and a clear line of fire anywhere on the road. I sat there for about 5 min and decided to hit the cow call. One squeak was all it took to have a sat. bull come crashing down along the edge of the clear cut. The 1st time I saw him was at 200 yards and closing fast. I already had an arrow nocked so I looked down and connected my release, as I looked up that bull was within 10 yards of me looking around trying to located the lost cow. He was a very nice 5x5, in the 250-260 range, a good raghorn bull. The wife wanted me to get something this year and not be picky. I was going to take him, but I've never had a bull at that range. The last couple of years all of my elk taken with my bow were at the least 20 yards or more. I was hoping he would turn towards my cousin calling but instead he stared across the road. I knew if i moved he would see me for sure so I didn't. Needless to say I missed my opportunity at a decent bull, more importantly meat in the freezer.
So the question is this, turn in draw or do what I did? Just curious if I was a fool not to attempt it. (And yes I was in aww for a couple of sec when I looked up and saw him so close so soon. he closed the gap quick) Any criticism or advice welcome.

And, nothing to critcize by any means, except for not following the wife's instructions :) Every experience goes in the elk log for what can be done different, and better the next go round! Running and gunnin', getting set up and then have it all come together like that is awesome.
What happened after that man? Imagine you were a sweaty mess from running all over, and blew them out?

And, nothing to critcize by any means, except for not following the wife's instructions :) Every experience goes in the elk log for what can be done different, and better the next go round! Running and gunnin', getting set up and then have it all come together like that is awesome.
What happened after that man? Imagine you were a sweaty mess from running all over, and blew them out?

Well the story does continue. My bull or the others didn't blow out of the country. We were a sweaty mess but the conditions were perfect.We left the bull with the cows alone in the thick tangle of brush and timber. We hiked up the logging road in the direction the bull went. When we got to an intersection were we would turn to head out of the area we bugled again just for kicks and grins. That bull responded right away. We toyed around with him but he must have been feeling pretty crappy not finding that cow. He kept moving away so we decided to head out so I could pick up the wife and kids to drve the 3 hours home. To top off the weekend, my wife had my truck and anded up backing into a tree denting the bumper and tailgate. :mad:
She also just told me that maybe I needed to stay out longer next time to get the job done. Guess she feels bad about the truck because she hates me leaving.

I would learn how to put my release on the string in less than 12 seconds. Sounds to me like that bull was very kill able.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back