What would you do..

Hell in my little county bum k'in high school I went too that was a daily occurrence during rifle season. The kids just never said any thing about it and it never was a problem.

Damn, things have changed. In high school, during hunting season, most of us guys had gun racks in the back window of the pickup and a gun hanging while we were in school. When school was out, we'd hit the mountains for evening hunts.

I can see two sides of it. When I was in High school, i had a shotgun or rifle in the car depending on what season was going on that point and time and this was the early 90's. As a parent, I would educate my kid on not bringing one to school, even if it is hunting season, eventhough I don't see it as a big deal. I would fight the expulsion, since the kid did honestly come out and tell the administration about it. But I do see that the admin has to enforce the rule, since they are in charge of protection of all the school kids. Tough situation for sure

I agree with you Blue...no matter what, parents and kids have to realize this isn't when we grew up

Superintendent Michael Nicosia says the administration won't recommend a yearlong suspension.

Its C-Falls...she won't be thrown out.

If they expell her then they are morons. They ban crap like this to appear to care. No kid that ever grew up hunting with bolt actions, and had the guts to admit it to a secretary, and is a GIRL ever shot up a school. I'm sure if here diabolical plan were to kill students she might have brought a better tool (perhaps a semi-automatic), she probably wouldnt have told a secretary, and lastly SHE probably wouldve been a HE.

What a freakin crock. I fear for our future. Idiotic rationale like this makes everyone a terrorist.

PS--

I graduated in 1999, in Salt Lake City, UT had a shotgun in my truck every day for ducks. And I know a few rednecks actually hung theirs on racks visible to anyone--11 YEARS AGO!

I see both sides too and I realize times have changed. I don't like it and it's rather unfortunate. It's probably a rare town where you could knowingly have a gun in your rig at school nowadays. Should be interesting to see how this turns out for the young lady.

I went to HS in the early 80's 7 miles away from C-falls, in Whitefish. We often had guns in our vehicles, going hunting after football practice and what not. I would guess there will some discretion used in this case as the girl certainly came forward without being "caught". My guess is she serves out her suspension till Christmas break and she rejoins the school after the New Year.

The laws need to be changed to allow for innocent violations. This could easily happen to someone else and the penalties are prescribed by the law. We can't just sit around and gripe about the law, we have to change it.

The laws need to be changed to allow for innocent violations. This could easily happen to someone else and the penalties are prescribed by the law. We can't just sit around and gripe about the law, we have to change it.

The federal Guns-Free Schools Act sets a one-year expulsion in such cases, but allows trustees to modify the term of the expulsion on a case-by-case basis.

They are just following Federally-mandated procedure. And the law does accomodate for innocent violations.

Let's not flip out just yet...

What this is is a perfect example of the lack of common sense that our country now faces, its disgusting....

Not only did she do the "right" thing by bringing it to the attention of the personnel, the gun didn't even have any ammunition! Geezuz people!

It CHIT like this that make innocent people feel like criminals.....this girl goes and tells the secretary because well, maybe it was the right thing to do. Now she is being treated like a damn criminal for trying to do somethign right. Could have and I believe should have just kept her mouth shut.

Schools should not permit students to bring firearms... To allow young adults / kids firearms on school grounds is asking for trouble - IN TODAYS TIME. This is a different world than our days...

Our generation has to adjust to the minor inconvenience of returning home from school to pick up their firearm before heading out to go hunting / plinking... If such a rule / law is not enforced - well, so much for having rules / laws...

I think discretion could be used in the "penalty" aspect of this... Case by case basis... Have her wash the gym bleachers over a few days - an hour each day after school. Allow her to have school friends help her to complete the task (if they want to) - so long as it is completed properly - penalty paid with a better action than - expulsion or even suspension... those are ridiculous methods - UNLESS it is a kid toon who does not have a desire to accept responsiblility for breaking a rule...

The federal Guns-Free Schools Act sets a one-year expulsion in such cases, but allows trustees to modify the term of the expulsion on a case-by-case basis.

They are just following Federally-mandated procedure. And the law does accomodate for innocent violations.

Let's not flip out just yet...

Exactly................

"They are just following Federally-mandated procedure. And the law does accomodate for innocent violations." Bad law or just bad interpretation?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back