Caribou Gear Tarp

What would you do?

Nut

If you started shooting your bow and you find that with 125 grain tips that you are about 1.5 inches low. Then by accident you shoot one with a 100 grain tip and it is dead center . Then you change the tips on the arrows on the others to 100 grain and they all are dead center. Do you stay with the 100 grains and leave the bow aligned for them?

btw the second time out they still were dead on.:D

Nut, is there a 1.5" difference between field tips and broadheads placement or merely a 1.5" difference between 125 and 100 grain field tips?

The arrows tipped with 100 grain tips are lighter which makes your bow shoot faster - could be the reason for the change.

By changing the weight of the tips, you are also changing the spine of the arrow and how it reacts when shot from the bow - another option.

If you are shooting the arrows with 100 grain heads and are more confident and accurate at all yardages, I say shoot em'! If not, then shoot the arrows with 125 grain tips and adjust the sights accordingly.

Leave your set up alone for a moment and paper tune with both points. If they are equal then I'd be inclinded to move my sights to avoid the cost of buying new broadheads.

As long as your point weight is 20% to 25% of your total arrow weight your arrows will be balanced properly. WileC is right about head weight impacting spine. It is more of an issue with carbons then with aluminum shafts. Carbon is more durable and forgiving but not as stiff, relatively.

If your nock set and release are squared properly but you notice cleaner tears in the paper with the 100 gr points then you are probably underspined with the 125's.

You might also be under-fletched. I find arrows with 3 inch vanes and 125 gr heads more difficult to tune or more sensitive to flaws depending on your perspective.

Of course field point flight is irrelevant if your broadheads don't track.

I don't/won't shoot mechanicals so I'm something of a tuning nazi

let us know how it turns out

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back