MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What would you do with 25 Elk Points and 25 Deer Points in CO

Just my naive question, but how many is max deer/elk points in CO?

I would pick different areas as others suggest. Look at units that take a lot of points that narrow it down. Consider skipping on hunting another year and make the trip during the season just to check out the units you’re considering and see if they meet your expectations.

I would pick different areas as others suggest. Look at units that take a lot of points that narrow it down. Consider skipping on hunting another year and make the trip during the season just to check out the units you’re considering and see if they meet your expectations.
That was sort of a plan for this summer, make a scouting/summer vacation to CO for a week. Just need to figure how to explain all the "detours" along the way to the GF so she does not figure out the true purpose of the trip... :unsure:

That was sort of a plan for this summer, make a scouting/summer vacation to CO for a week. Just need to figure how to explain all the "detours" along the way to the GF so she does not figure out the true purpose of the trip... :unsure:
Why not just tell her, I’m guessing you have devoted a lot more time gaining points than you have been in the relationship...

Why not just tell her, I’m guessing you have devoted a lot more time gaining points than you have been in the relationship...
Oh I will, was a little sarcasm there that did not come through in the post I guess. She loves the west, national parks, hiking, etc. It will be a good vaca....

Making 4 hunts out of it sounds like for sure the way to go.

I wouldn't get hung up with the same unit for all the hunts though. The best deer unit is most likely not going to be the best elk unit. One option that I thought of would be that one would get to hunt elk first and the other would get to hunt deer first. Hunt the elk back to back years and then the deer back to back years. That way one gets to learn from the other on one species and then the opposite on the other species.

What would I do with 25 points? Hunt!! :)

For elk - I'm an archery guy so with 20+ I'd probably go 61 and hunt it with my bow. If you are rifle only, looks like you could still hunt 61 1st rifle with 25. Whatever you do, I'd suggest going now while you still have health, etc. Life is short, burn those points and go hunt!

What would you do with 25 points for Elk and Deer in CO? This is not a trick question this is my
reality, and my brother's too.

I know, I know, this is just another one of those threads where I'm open to ridicule for collecting
points for this long, have at me with your best shots if you must.

The thought was to go for 2 or 201 when "the time came", well, it seems like the point creep may
keep us out of that now too.

Thoughts?
Learn to bowhunt elk or choose to use points on a bow hunt for starters and 2/201 etc are yours for the taking now. You can hunt for a MONTH! I have a nonres friend who loves bowhunting but is sitting on almost enought for 201 gun tag for several year and not willing to ‘blow’ his points for a bow hunt even as his body is cratering and his hard hunt days are getting numbered. To me that is kinda crazy.

If you draw one brother first and commit to help each others hunts the next year or tow for a repeat hunt you will have far more mileage out of the tags and far more life altering enjoyment and memories. I did unit 2 archery elk back when 15 as a resident is what it required and had an incredible 20 days plus lots of scouting time. That said I have have had better hunts in other states.

Last edited:
I don't know what units to help you with on elk, those high point tags are not on my radar because they are so far out of reach I just don't care... I know there are some units that you can wade through nice bulls to find a really nice one. I'd probably pick a muzz hunt over a rifle or archery hunt. It would be more enjoyable due to weather, and rutting bulls. For deer, before they shortened 3rd season, I would choose 3rd season over 4th, but now with them being 7 vs 5 days... I'm not sure it would matter, and the dates are so late, I don't think it matters either. I would hunt the Gunnison basin for deer, south side away from the elk hunting mobs. Mostly just because its really neat deer country, and you have a good chance of killing a good buck.

I think a lot of people have the delusion (not saying you do) that a pile of points will result in a great hunt or big animals. It's still hunting, weather can suck, and without some prior knowledge of the unit, could result in a less than desirable outcome. You can read about how disappointed people are after burning x number of points in a good unit/hunt every year.

I really don't think any unit consistently produce a lot of big deer, maybe 1-2 a season. The guys that hunt bucks on the high point units rarely kill big ones, and their expectations seem to drop considerably once reality sets in on the hunt. 180-200" bucks don't grow on trees, and those 160-170 class bucks tend to get tags hung on them with pretty high consistency and in the majority. Guys that are in the know and have the experience don't have much trouble hanging their tags on bucks of that size from many of the units around the state. The giant bucks that get killed in late season hunts are usually done so by guys that have the experience to make it happen, not just points to draw the tag. Again not inferring that you don't have the experience or knowledge, and it sounds like you just want to have a good hunt. It's just something to consider when taking advice, along with advice from people who have no first hand knowledge of a unit/hunt.

For deer it would look for areas with few elk tags and not OTC... 4th season is pretty limited on elk hunters in most areas. It would just make for a more enjoyable hunt with fewer people.

Good luck on your quest!

I think a lot of people have the delusion (not saying you do) that a pile of points will result in a great hunt or big animals. It's still hunting, weather can suck, and without some prior knowledge of the unit, could result in a less than desirable outcome. You can read about how disappointed people are after burning x number of points in a good unit/hunt every year.

Good luck on your quest!
This is a good post ...Especially this part above.
IO think we all have a state or two we acquire points in that will be a "One and Done" experience. Especially those species in states that have a big disparity in general and LE opportunities.

What would you do with 25 points for Elk and Deer in CO? This is not a trick question this is my
reality, and my brother's too.

I know, I know, this is just another one of those threads where I'm open to ridicule for collecting
points for this long, have at me with your best shots if you must.

The thought was to go for 2 or 201 when "the time came", well, it seems like the point creep may
keep us out of that now too.

Thoughts?
#2 for 2020 took 24 points this year to draw elk Either sex 1st season rifle
#201 for 2020 took 25 points this year to draw elk Either sex 1st season rifle

I'd probably pick a muzz hunt over a rifle or archery hunt. It would be more enjoyable due to weather, and rutting bulls.

For deer it would look for areas with few elk tags and not OTC... 4th season is pretty limited on elk hunters in most areas. It would just make for a more enjoyable hunt with fewer people.

Good luck on your quest!
This is a good post ...Especially this part above.
IO think we all have a state or two we acquire points in that will be a "One and Done" experience. Especially those species in states that have a big disparity in general and LE opportunities.
Thanks to all that have offered positive advice and good reality checks on this thread so far, the above are just the latest 2 examples of such.

Things that have been learned, remembered, or confirmed so far:

4 hunts, confirmed for multiple reasons
Different units for deer and elk, learned
Late deer hunt in unit with no OTC elk tags, learned
Will be doing a scouting VaCa, confirmed
Muzzleloader is a good option, remembered
My brother appreciates your input too, confirmed

Things that have been learned, remembered, or confirmed so far:

4 hunts, confirmed for multiple reasons
Different units for deer and elk, learned
Late deer hunt in unit with no OTC elk tags, learned
Will be doing a scouting VaCa, confirmed
Muzzleloader is a good option, remembered
My brother appreciates your input too, confirmed
Also - start by focusing on Deer first. You can draw any deer tag in the state right now unless something weird happens. I was in that position last year and it makes the research alone a fun exercise. With current favorable season structures and the fact that you're in the max pool for deer, I'd get those deer hunts on the books ASAP.

Just my naive question, but how many is max deer/elk points in CO?
For elk it's 35 for Residents and 33 for NR. Deer is 32/31, but OP is already effectively 'Max' for deer. Rumor is that the 35 point resident is a senior DOW/CPW employee that is saving them for retirement in a year or two.

I like math problems and this call I'm on is just never-ending babble - so just Looked only at NR's and the "top 5" units (Early Rifle seasons in 1,2,10,201,61). And, if you are interested in Archery or Muzzleloader, for those units, Archery/Muzzy is basically the same, with one exception.

If you assume most of the guys with >24 points last year are interested in those specific Early rifle hunts:

- 219 applicants with >24 points applied for those hunts but were not drawn
- 549 applicants with >24 points applied for Points only

Thus, 768 applicants with more points are probably looking at the same hunts.

Those 5 hunts combined offer 23 NR tags a year - so pure math is that, in a vacuum, it would take a minimum of 33 years to be in the pool for those units. But also:

- 323 applicants were at the same point level (e.g. had 24 points going into 2020's draw and either applied for one of those hunts or for points)

So, 45+ years if you include competing with the 323 folks at the same point level.

Obviously some folks are interested in one unit but not another, some will continue to build points, and folks will age/health out of the pool and/or use their points for a "lesser" tag so there is significant attrition % that reduces the wait time, but either way, unless something changes in the draw system, those hunts are, mathematically, decades out for a NR with 25 current points. It's a little mindboggling to see that written out.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back