What would you do with 25 Elk Points and 25 Deer Points in CO

Get gohunt or something like that. You spent a lot of money on points, dont go cheap in your research.

Do elk and deer in different years. Your deer hunt probably should not be in the same unit as your elk just because it's hard to find a unit that is a trophy unit for both species. A unit is usually managed for quality for one species. Not both in the same unit.

Here is my jab..... too bad you didnt have 20 plus years to do your research.
Nice jab, I like it!

Yup, lots of time has passed since my brother first said. " why don't we put in for elk and deer points in co?" He was living in wy at the time. Lots of things change over 25 years.

Go to the cpw site on draw stats. Look at what tags took the most to draw out last year. And then look at each unit and see what unit you would like the best for experience.

Personally I would not hunt deer and elk in the same unit with that many points. The best units for each are not usually the best for the other. And of those units the locations of the animals are going to be different, especially considering you will likely hunt a 1st season elk tag and a late season deer tag. That’s just one guys opinion.

Make a list of what you want in your hunt, your non negotiables, and then go from there.

You're pretty close to the top elk units, so might as well hold out for them right? How old are you...? Maybe a GMU 44 4th rifle deer tag?

I'm a huge fan of gohunt and doing your own research but with that many points I would highly recommend an epic outdoors membership. $100 buys you a lot of info and those guys are pretty dialed on top end units and could point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Have you been hunting deer and elk in other states during this time period? Even with a great tag, it won't be a slam dunk to go kill nice critters if you haven't had any experience in the hills over the last 25 years. Just something to think about before burning those points. Good luck

I'd choose an area that you are both guaranteed to draw and go hunt either deer or elk. Share a camp together, have some friendly competition on the size of the animal you kill. Then the next year do the same for the other critter. But in a different area of the state. I always like checking out new areas. Good luck.

You prob have no clue how to hunt elk/deer if you havnt for 25 years... sucks

You know there's more than 1 state in this country... Right??
Yup, no clue, CO is the only state that has either of those strange critters to go after. If I remember right CO takes your points if you go OTC too, isn't that right? So ya, never hunted them... :LOL:

Our thoughts are to divide it up into 4 hunts, do deer first, learn a unit on the deer hunts and get some insight for elk hunts in the following years. Hoping for a good unit for both that would be more favorable for elk.
Doing four hunts is a good idea. I live in a hard to draw elk unit that has produced some world class elk. I get to talk to quite a few of the lucky tag holders every year and it is surprising how may many have put in with a party application. Just because the unit is hard to draw does not mean that you are going to have your pick of big bulls. Far from it. It is hard enough to fill one tag with a big bull, Trying to fill two in a single year is going to take lots of luck and is bound to ratchet up the tag anxiety to painful levels.
Not so sure about doing both elk and deer in the same unit. The best deer units are probably not the best elk units.

Have you been hunting deer and elk in other states during this time period? Even with a great tag, it won't be a slam dunk.
Yes,, i have hunted elk and deer in the west. Way more suseesful on deer than elk. A slam dunk would be nice but not expected, that would be called killing not hunting. Looking for some good times with my brother with the potential for a trophy. The older I get its more about the hunt than the horn. As I said in a previous post, lots of things change over 25 years.

Thanks to those suggesting different units for both, seems to be a consensus so far, will be leaning that way. Also, this is not just me, I have to convince my brother of the same strategy too.

I believe gohunt is on the Christmas list this year...

What if you had been buying Apple stock instead of points in Colorado over that time period?
Hope you find a good hunt. I am jealous of your position.

I am not far from you as far as elk...I am sitting in 21 points. When I started it was for a unit 61 archery tag. At the time it took 4-5 points to draw as NR. Now 21 years later, I am still two points behind. I believe I still have 5-7 years until I can draw that tag.

Sounds like you're in an enviable position to have 4 great hunts. Given what Colorado is doing with the deer hunts, I would do those first or at least have one going for each of you over the next two years. You're going to have some great dates. I wouldn't worry about finding the absolute best unit numbers wise they're all going to have the opportunity at some great animals. Look for what suit's you and you feel confident you're going to draw and go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back