Yeti GOBOX Collection

What worked, what didn’t, 2021 edition

Did not do a lot different, mostly have things how I like them. I did try just a couple new items backpacking, hiking around, and in a variety of conditions.

Worked:
--BD Alpine Start. It's more breathable than the Patagonia Houdini, which has been my go-to windshirt the last several years. If packing as my only shell, which I do on most sub 3-day trips with a decent forecast, I'll still typically take the Houdini. If I'm packing a wp/b hardshell, the 8 oz BD is perfect for shedding light rain and enough wind to stay comfy while moving. It's much better at pushing moisture inside-out and allows your body to function more naturally in temp regulation. 8 oz well spent if hiking hard in mixed conditions where you'll overheat in a shell, or even the very calendared Houdini fabric.

--Polartec Alpha. I've long been a big grid and micro-grid fleece hoody fan (i.e. Patagonia R1, Thermal Weight Cap, lots of good cheaper EB/REI type spinoffs). This fall I just started messing around with Polartec Alpha. It's just a different weave in 60/90/120 g/m2 weights, but I'm really liking the moisture management aspect so far. Like the breathable windshirt it's just doing a more efficient job of moisture transfer than other fleeces I've had. It's essentially 0% wind resistant, which is perfect paired with a windshirt or hard shell as an outer. An example would be the FarPointe Alpha Cruiser.

When a roughly 40 CFM windshirt and a sorta-proprietary version of polartec alpha had a baby, they named it the Arcteryx Proton FL, which is now discontinued. It's hardly been cold enough to use recently. I'll be putting it to work this weekend on a little overnight snowshoe based hunt.

None of this is really new, shelled micropile has been around for a good 30+ years (Rab Vapour-Rise, Buffalo UK, etc.). The difference is just more options in fabric technology for the face fabrics and insulation weaves themselves.

Worked:
onx escouting: killed my bull less than a mile from a spot I found at home.
Vortex 10x50 UHD binos: could spot elk at distance pretty well.
Thor muzzleloader bullets: worked at 35 yards.
Outdoor edge replaceable blade knife: 2 blades to break down my bull.
Mystery ranch popup 38: worked well as a daypack. Hauled quarters with ease.
Good friends: made for good times and easier packouts.
Barnes muzzleloader bullets: another nice whitetail in the freezer.
Shooting right handed for the 2nd time: see above

Didn't:
Kelly light year 3d sleeping bag I've had for 20 years: I think the loft is going a bit. Got cold. Time to retire it to a summer bag. I will replace with something with a colder rating and new.

Thats off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Did not do a lot different, mostly have things how I like them. I did try just a couple new items backpacking, hiking around, and in a variety of conditions.

Worked:
--BD Alpine Start. It's more breathable than the Patagonia Houdini, which has been my go-to windshirt the last several years. If packing as my only shell, which I do on most sub 3-day trips with a decent forecast, I'll still typically take the Houdini. If I'm packing a wp/b hardshell, the 8 oz BD is perfect for shedding light rain and enough wind to stay comfy while moving. It's much better at pushing moisture inside-out and allows your body to function more naturally in temp regulation. 8 oz well spent if hiking hard in mixed conditions where you'll overheat in a shell, or even the very calendared Houdini fabric.

--Polartec Alpha. I've long been a big grid and micro-grid fleece hoody fan (i.e. Patagonia R1, Thermal Weight Cap, lots of good cheaper EB/REI type spinoffs). This fall I just started messing around with Polartec Alpha. It's just a different weave in 60/90/120 g/m2 weights, but I'm really liking the moisture management aspect so far. Like the breathable windshirt it's just doing a more efficient job of moisture transfer than other fleeces I've had. It's essentially 0% wind resistant, which is perfect paired with a windshirt or hard shell as an outer. An example would be the FarPointe Alpha Cruiser.

When a roughly 40 CFM windshirt and a sorta-proprietary version of polartec alpha had a baby, they named it the Arcteryx Proton FL, which is now discontinued. It's hardly been cold enough to use recently. I'll be putting it to work this weekend on a little overnight snowshoe based hunt.

None of this is really new, shelled micropile has been around for a good 30+ years (Rab Vapour-Rise, Buffalo UK, etc.). The difference is just more options in fabric technology for the face fabrics and insulation weaves themselves.
I'll echo the endorsement of the BD Alpine Start. I've had one for about a year, although I haven't had as many chances to wear it as I'd like. I think windshirts like this are an underappreciated garment in the hunting world.

Something else on my “worked” list… Helinix Lite Cot. I know, I know… 20 year old me would probably call 42 year old me a puss, but hot damn does it make sleeping on the ground way better.

I had a local archery tag this year, and more family obligations, so lots of rolling into my trailhead late on Friday night to sleep a couple hours next to the truck. Normally I’d just roll my pad out and bivy bag it, but now with the cot - hoooo doggy. I haven’t slept that good in the woods, on the ground in a very long time.

I didn’t change much this year. My optics, clothing, and backpacking gear all stayed the same.
Worked well:
Stone Glacier pack continues to impress.
My .300 Win Mag and 168 Barnes for the one shot I fired this fall.
InReach.
Putting in the time in familiar country.

Didn’t work:
Broke a pole on my BA tent.
Using a tarp shelter in winds not appropriate for tarp shelters.

Not a lot of new for this season, but a few standouts.

Worked:
• Fenix HL60R headlamp. Charge lasts a long time and can get incredibly bright, which was great to have on a cliffy predawn hike to a glassing spot.
• Hammer Bullets. Was as impressed by their terminal performance as I have been with how well they shoot.
• Darn Tough Socks. I don’t know where these things have been all my life but good grief they are great. They wick moisture better and stay comfortable longer than any sock I’ve ever worn.
• My dad. It’s not easy for him to spend a week in the mountains living out of a tent with his health being the way it is, but he did it and made a great hunt better by being there with me—at least while driving or in camp.

Didn’t Work:
• FedEx. I rented some SLC 15s for my mule deer hunt from optics4rent (who were great to deal with, btw) which were supposed to arrive a five days before I left for my hunt. They never showed. Following the tracking they just stopped moving at a warehouse here in town. Super frustrating. Remedied the problem for future hunts though by biting the bullet and buying some NL 12s, which are incredible.
• My post-hunt gluttony. The cookie/ice cream/pie/candy indulgence went on waaaay too long in 2021. I’ll be 40 this year and I’ve got to knock that shit off.

Worked:

-Barnes copper bullets
-Chasing antelope to boost morale. Antelope shanks are amazing.
-Mystery Ranch Metcalf....waaaaay more comfortable than my pack frame, even if it is heavier.
-Prois jacket- It was nice to have a great, versatile jacket that was breathable.
-Crispi boots, it's a beautiful thing to finally find boots that your feet like.
-Darn tough socks. Finally bought lighter weight socks for archery.
-Hammer Nutrition electrolyte tablets. It was nice to have some flavored water that actually tasted good.

Didn't work:

-New First Lite Catalyst pants ripped within days of having them...whoops.
-Montana wildlife legislation.
-Taking one hand off the handle bars while biking during archery season....followed up by not avoiding a rock on the road. Couldn't pull my bow back for a couples days after that crash, would not recommend.
-Writing letters to get permission to cross private property. Zero luck, but I tried.
-Sans Meal bars...just yuck.

Worked- Warm wall tent, good food and great company. Multiple cups of coffee in the morning.
Worked- Me, too much during archery season. Only hunted one weekend.
Worked- Sitka Timberline pants. Perfect weight for rifle season and wind proof.

Didn’t work- Lack of self discipline needed to leave a warm tent and coffee hours before daylight. Dawn break is a perfect time to hit the woods.

Worked:
- GoHunt Membership - saved me hours of my life this year and drew tags most everywhere I chose to hunt
- Truck build out (RTT, sleeping gear)
- Trekking poles
- Fast & Light - built my hunting style around this
- Still hunting, never thought it’d work but wow is it effective
- Attitude, recovered from a bad shot to get my first bull elk
- Homefront strategy, much less stressful than last season
- Bipod; cheek raise
- Adding a bear tag to my deer license, and actually shooting my first bear

Didn’t work:
- Not bringing chains on the mountain
- Lack of practice with bow/rifle cost me three deer

Worked:
--someone borrowed me MR beartooth. Soo much better than my Heaverly stock.
So I bot one.
--lots of good suggestions where to hunt. Everybody cept Ram telling me where to go.
unfortunately none of it worked out. Saw lots of new territory

Not working
--My gps w/ chip. not sure which one is not working but fed up and ready to start over Suggestions?
--Misplaced my range finder. Now a get to buy a real good one. Suggestions for legit 1000 yd range?
--Hit a deer w/ the truck opening weekend. Was an hour down the road before I noticed the rental truck
was 2 wheel drive. That is the most usless thing ever. Who the F*** even makes 2 wheel drive pickups?

Worked:
Prois insulated bibs. Have been very pleasantly surprised by these.

Prois down glo-mitts. Have finally been successful keeping my fingers warm while night-calling in the subzero temps.

Thermal scope. It took a little bit to get the hang of night time setups, but I’m getting it dialed in.

Didn’t work:
S&W M&P AR-15. Can not get this thing to function at all in the cold. Still trying to figure it out but it is frustrating as hell to have coyotes working and not be able to get a shot off.

I think after 20 years it just loosing loft. Probably needs a good wash and retired to a summer bag. I will end up replacing it with a new bag rated for a bit cooler temps. And Probably pick up a liner too.
I was surprised to see how much using a liner extended the life of my bags.

Worked:
-6.5-284 and Hammer Hunters. Continue to be impressed with these bullets and the rifle shoots better than I ever will.
-tc omega and 270 powerbelt. Blew the dust off and it still worked.
-Fenix LED lantern CL26R. This thing just continues to impress. Killer bright when needed, 18650 battery, lasts forever on lower settings, usb charge.
-243 and 95sst bullet. Son bang flopped his first deer. #knockdownpower
ETA - GSI microlite thermos mug. Love this thing.

Didn't work:
-My eyes don't work with front sight posts when wearing contacts or glasses (tc omega) and I can't see shit without them
-Primus ETA stove and MSR piezo igniter. Igniter on stove is shot and valve is flaky. Deployed backup msr igniter, failed after a couple of uses. Keep a lighter and matches in your kit. Glad my buddy had a second stove.
-Crispi boots - Rand separated from the sole. Repaired via warranty without issue, and the repair work is outstanding. Still irks me that it just started falling apart.

Last edited:
Worked- My whole camp/sleep system/pack organization was pretty dialed in. No real changes for the past few years, which was intentional- familiarity really helps. The lesson here is if it ain’t broke, don’t f with it. I can set up tent, pad etc and get whatever I need out of my pack easily in the dark. I know exactly what is each colored stuff sack, and have very little that I do not use.

Also worked: My muzzleloader. I swapped out my rear for a peep/rail, left the front fiber alone.

I did consider swapping that out for a globe, but worried about low-light. Happy with it the way it is, it worked great this year and I’ve never shot better with open sights.

Also switched to Federal Bor-Lokt bullets- easy to load, accurate and dumped my buck in its tracks- although at 20 yards, I could likely have used just about anything and had the same result.

Didn’t (not backpack hunt related here…) Base for 30-40 degree temps in a tree stand. I love the Sitka Fanatic set, but it needs to be a bit cooler than that to wear. Need a better base layer for that in-between temp (which is most common for prime-time archery morning hunts here).

Attachments

• 10396AFB-B575-4EAA-8EDB-C91207499856.jpeg
    10396AFB-B575-4EAA-8EDB-C91207499856.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 150B2F34-6A3D-4532-8471-6026F3D7F323.jpeg
    150B2F34-6A3D-4532-8471-6026F3D7F323.jpeg
    924.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back