What worked, what didn’t, 2021 edition

What worked:
— God’s gracious provision in the 2021 tag application game
— the CO sheep tag and the NM elk tag
— legit HuntTalkers who shared their time, knowledge and connections with an undeserving cretin like me. Looking at you, @Oak @hank4elk @Khunter
— went all @Bambistew and wore a pair of run-of-the-mill REI hiking pants in Sep, Oct and Nov and left my more expensive pants at home

What didn’t work:
— My ability to find my son a mule deer buck. A little embarrassing actually

Last edited:
My setup/equipment is pretty dialed for my routine but few from 21.
Worked:
-Pelican sled, drug a entire bison out of the AB wilderness piece by piece. Sled is now useless but worked for purpose.
-tag strategy, had some great tags!
-new diesel heater in trailer worked amazing and made it so comfortable.
-new kowa 884 spotter is amazing!

Didnt work:
-weather and moon, so much heat during my normal deer hunt and a out of state elk hunt. Didnt even use head lamp walking in dark while wearing a t-shirt in october...
-sort of same as above but diff tag, having one of the best trophy elk tags in state thats reliant on a migration (heavy snows high) and its so warm your seeing all bulls going UP the mountain.

What worked:
- Schnee's Beartooth boots, finally found a boot that fits me. Seemed strange not taping heels, kinda became the norm for me over the years.
- GSI Infinity backpacker mug
- @Gerald Martin new home location even if it is in Bozangles, convenient stops for family dinners, shower to recharge, and elk meat storage.
- Purposefully not getting up to put wood in the stove and sleeping in, enjoying coffee until daylight to avoid @Gerald Martin o'dark thirty cold hikes, in turn to get to road hunt and drink more coffee and snack all day!
- @Gerald Martin trusty old 30-06 rifle for the cow I shot.
- My unconventional hunting rig, Honda Pilot. I continue to abuse the crap out of every one I have, taking them places I have no business doing so. Following @Mthuntr up a rocky FS service road with a cargo trailer in tow, praying I find a place to turn around, and did!

What didn't:
- My inability to get several bulls to commit after hanging up at 80yds in archery season
- And other stupid stuff I did in archery season..
- Slamming my finger in car door at midnight after 7mi camp pack out.
- FWP's spike elk mount placement to entice a poacher - well, at least it didn't work @Mthuntr or myself.

Worked:
Writing a live hunt post coyly enough that got some good help but not letting the whole internet know where hunting. Son and I got 3 Antelope next day with permission gained.
Renting a house in casper as opposed to hotel. Nice to have place to set meat out to cool and then put in freezer.
Watching YouTube to break into back truck window to get locked keys.
Merino wool top from mountain ops
Microlight water bottle
Randy's fixed blade knife
Sitka accent pants
Getting a mix pack of Colorado only beer
Getting case of moose drool

Didn't:
Waiting 6 years to hunt buck Antelope and saying not going to take a hurried shot, going to really look over and make sure good animal. Snuck in on Buck with prongs above ears. Guys started shooting from road at group. Ran towards us and stopped 90 yards away. Took shot without having chance to study horns.
Having hunting buddy bail and have to drive few thousand miles by myself.
Driving 4 extra hours to try prime rib at pizza barn.
Thinking I could get something not standard in there offerings but they make from seek outside
Fishing trip with boys and friends. Caught a cement island and boat broke wench tower on trailer. Caught nothing from pier but bowling and perch bites was fun.

Last edited:
My setup/equipment is pretty dialed for my routine but few from 21.
Worked:
-Pelican sled, drug a entire bison out of the AB wilderness piece by piece. Sled is now useless but worked for purpose.
-tag strategy, had some great tags!
-new diesel heater in trailer worked amazing and made it so comfortable.
-new kowa 884 spotter is amazing!

Didnt work:
-weather and moon, so much heat during my normal deer hunt and a out of state elk hunt. Didnt even use head lamp walking in dark while wearing a t-shirt in october...
-sort of same as above but diff tag, having one of the best trophy elk tags in state thats reliant on a migration (heavy snows high) and its so warm your seeing all bulls going UP the mountain.
I’ve looked at diesel heaters. I‘d like to know more about your set up. Did you use it in a trailer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back