What a day to be in the woods!

midwesthunter

Opening morning of firearm season was upon us, a day I look forward to every year, as I get to share a tree stand with my 13-year-old son. This would be his 5th deer season here in Indiana and one he was really looking forward too. We ran some trail cameras this early fall just like we do every year and just like every year we had a couple good bucks show up on camera. For whatever reason, this year he was more excited about one buck, a nice young 10 point that was close to a stand we just moved. We also had a bigger more mature 9 point on camera that I told my son I would rather he shoot him if given a chance. I explained to him that the 9 point was a more mature deer so a bigger body as well as a bigger rack, but if that 10-point showed up and he wanted to try and take him, to go for it. I have always told my son he could shoot any buck that would make him happy. The last three seasons he has taken 1.5-year-old basket racks and been tickled with them.

Well opening morning was finally here, we arrived at the property an hour and half before shooting light. He wanted to hunt the stand where we had that young 10 point on trail camera, as luck would have it the wind was perfect for that stand. The only negative to get to that stand is we must cross through a thick and nasty swamp. This swamp was created about 70-80 years ago by a muck fire, there are areas you can shove a 10’ stick down in the muck and never hit bottom. I had hoped we had had enough cold weather to freeze the swamp enough we could walk on top of the ice. Well it was thick enough in areas but most you would break through. It took us longer to navigate through the swamp then I had planned on, but we were finally through it. We crept through the woods as quiet as possible and made it to the stand 15 mins before shooting light.

About 15 mins after shooting light I catch movement to my left about 50 yards, a small spike was getting out of his bed. He browsed his way behind us, and I was worried he would catch out scent, but he moved off and we didn’t get to see where he went. The woods is now starting to come alive, squirrels are out and about doing their best to make you think a deer is walking behind you. I catch movement about 150 yards through the woods, I throw the bino’s up and quickly identify it as a doe. I tell my son there’s a doe working her way our way, he tells me there is a deer on his right working its way towards us, its that spike we seen at first light. I catch more movement by where I first seen that doe, it’s a very dark body, I know it’s a buck and confirm through the bino’s. I can tell it’s a bigger buck but not sure how big, I tell my son there is a buck and he is headed towards that doe. He finds him in the scope and says he’s massive, I tell him to not worry about the rack, just watch and focus on the shot, just look at the body. He replies his body is massive, and I can feel my heart beating, I do my best to calm him as the buck has a way to go before, we will have a clear shot. Now we have that small spike 10 yards from us with another small 6 point and a doe about 40 yards away, I keep whispering to my son we can’t move and need to be very quiet, he tells me again his heart is pounding and can’t quit shaking. I do my best to quietly calm him as the big buck has changed directions and is working his way slowly towards us. The bucks now at 100 yards, he pauses to work a rub, the two young bucks close to us have quit paying attention to the does and are locked on the big buck. He continues to work towards us, and I think this is going to happen, were down wind, my son is already in position with the rifle ready to go. I start to get nervous now with anticipation, every time the buck stops its behind brush or a tree. He’s now working a scrape 70 yards away, but still don’t have a shot, he turns and is quartering away, but his vitals are covered. He spots another doe over on the ridge and starts slowly towards her, he pauses behind a tree big enough to cover his front leg, I ask my son if he can see the off side leg, he respond yes, I tell him to take the shot when he’s ready. Boom the rifle rings out, the buck dropped instantly like he had been hit by lightning, never twitched, deader than a hammer.

That young 6 point is still about 15 yards away starring at the now dead buck. The doe on the ridge is still there, I see another deer to the right looking around confused. My son wants to see his buck; I tell him lets wait till these deer move off. Were sitting there and the six point finally decides to run over and check out one of the doe’s, he chases here across the woods and back again. I see another deer running across the woods and its that spike chasing a doe, grunting very loud, well that six point would have none of that. He ran towards the spike and they begin to fight, they fought for over a min, making all kinds of noise. I was hoping that all the commotion would bring in another big buck and maybe we could double up. Well the fight ended, and the two young bucks decided to team up and chase the one doe around the woods. My son is really wanting to see his buck and I am torturing him by keeping him in the stand. Well one of those bucks ran a doe close enough to us that my son could get a shot and fill his antlerless tag as well. All this within 20 mins of shooting the buck.

Very proud dad moment, getting to see your kid get worked up and the smile on their face makes you appreciate everything you have.

20191116_133811_resized.jpg

20191116_133451_resized.jpg

20191116_133657_resized.jpg

20191116_133911_resized.jpg

20191116_184041_resized.jpg20191116_133811_resized.jpg20191116_133451_resized.jpg20191116_133657_resized.jpg20191116_133911_resized.jpg20191116_184041_resized.jpg

Shoulder mount for Xmas Dad?!?! Nice work, and congrats to the young man!

Congrats to both of you! Dads for the win! 🙌

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back