What weight merino for September elk?

Base layers for a September elk hunt? I'dbring a mid-weight to and call it good. A fleece, a puffy coat and a rain coat. You'll covered from 80 to 20. I rarely take bottoms unless there is snow. Rain pants get me plenty of insulation if it gets chilly.

Good luck on your hunt!

It has to be super cold before I wear any baselayers. When I do wear it, it definitely ain't wool.

I’m a huge fan of the merino 145 from kuiu, it gets me through all of archery. I usually have a peloton 240 zip up in am too and then ditch it in the pack by mid morning

Also a fan of the merino 145. This is my base layer and typically only top during archery.

J

Thanks for all the input everyone. I ordered a Kuiu 145 zip tee hoodie, Kuiu merino socks, and some BlackOvis merino boxers.
I think they’ll all be a good addition to my other gear this year.

What state? Weather can be very different depending upon what state you are hunting in September.

Of course... I hunt lots of states, but not Oregon. I like the Sitka base layers as it does best against my skin, but others may be different. I would think a mid-layer, with a rain coat for Oregon would do the trick!

I’ll add... my favorite base layer is the Sitka traverse 3/4 zip. I’m always in that thing and then layer up from there. I did add the light hoody base layer this year I might try out some in AZ where the weather is very comfortable.

I usually just bring a Smartwool long sleeve mid weight, probably 200 or so and then a short sleeve 150. Change into the short sleeve mid day if it gets too hot. The half zip FL aerowool shirt is nice too but it fits much more like a base layer as opposed to smartwool which seems to fit more like normal shirts. The Black Ovis stuff is actually pretty nice too

snags are the problem more than abrasion.

Second this, if I'm about to do a dive through alders/oak brush/etc I will toss on a rain jacket or hard-shell. Oak brush wont do appreciable damage to your gortex jacket, but it will F-up your mernio real quick.

I don't wear merino next to skin for warmth, I wear it so I won't gag every time I breathe through my nose when I'm a few days deep into a hunt. I wore the same FL Wick 150 short sleeve and a pair of 170 weight long boxer briefs for 8 days solid last fall, at the end of the hunt when I took them off for that first glorious shower at the motel you could not tell I had worn them at all smell wise.

For a bottom the Kuiu zip offs are a must, though I'm curious to try out First Lites zip offs when they become available this year.

I also have a Sitka Core Merino Light Weight 120 coming this week that I am excited to try, I just wish it was a short sleeve. But I do like the quick zip for dumping heat if needed too.

Archery season is kinda goofy weather wise. I've been snowed on, and I have also hunted in a tank top in 90 degree weather.

That’s kinda the issue here in western Oregon. Sometimes it’s in the 90s in September, sometimes it’s colder and rainy. Weather can be drastically different between the valley where I live and the coast where I do a lot of my hunting.

Sorry but I didn't read through all the posts to see if I'm just repeating what someone else said but when it comes to socks, Buy Alpaca socks. Better in every regard than wool. Check out Alpaca's of Montana. Nothing short of awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back