Caribou Gear Tarp

What to expect from Leupold?

samhain

Having to send back my new VX5HD because it won't hold zero, tried it on two different rifles to confirm. I was under the impression they had the same warranty as vortex (no questions asked swap) but appears they don't. My dealer said they would cover the scope but it would have to be sent back to Leupold for a inspection/repair. He said they might send me a replacement or they might fix mine and send it back. Maybe I'm expecting to much but for a $1000 scope I'm not to keen to a "refurb". At this point I think I'd rather have my money back and buy something else, I've already missed two animals because of this scope.

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee
If your Leupold riflescope, binocular, or spotting scope doesn’t perform, we will repair or replace it for free - whether you're the original owner or not. You don’t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there’s no time limit. We do this because we believe in superior quality and craftsmanship, and we’re confident your Leupold won’t let you down.

I'd be disappointed with multiple field failures as well but their warranty is straightforward. If you purchased from a dealer you have stroke with that's another story.

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee
If your Leupold riflescope, binocular, or spotting scope doesn’t perform, we will repair or replace it for free - whether you're the original owner or not. You don’t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there’s no time limit. We do this because we believe in superior quality and craftsmanship, and we’re confident your Leupold won’t let you down.

I'd be disappointed with multiple field failures as well but their warranty is straightforward. If you purchased from a dealer you have stroke with that's another story.
I purchased brand new from a dealer..

Leupold will do right by their product and their customers. Full stop.
There was a period in my life when I shopped hard for used Leupold scopes. Nickle ads, newspapers, gun shows, pawn shops... every single one that I acquired got shipped to Leupold with some excuse for repair or replacement. (I know, it's wrong. I was young, it was a mistake... Just telling the truth) Every scope was shipped back w/ full diagnostics, repair reports or new scope.
Only non-Leupold scope I ever bought, was a Nikon. My dad (I was 15) made me return it the next day, never got a chance to mount it.

Vortex has a nice warranty, no doubt. The reason they don't repair their scopes is that their scopes are imported and not made in the US. I'm not saying that Asia made product is bad (not at all) what I am saying is that they swap it out for the consumer and have an arrangement w/ the factory to provide credit or replacement stock to Vortex.
On the other hand, Leupold has hundreds of factory employees who live in Portland, Oregon, machinists, CNC operators, engineers, material handlers... folks who are genuinely able to make repairs or replace and have the skills to tell the difference and make the right call.

I've had one experience with Leupold customer service. It was with my first pair of binos. It was their more budget "Green Ring" binos. I had them over 10 years, loaned them to a buddy, and got them back with the objective lens broke. I got the binos as a gift when I was around 16, so I didn't know what I did or didn't do with warranty info. I sent them in not sure what they'd say. Within 2 weeks, I had received a new, upgraded version of the binos I had. . I now own 3 scopes and rangefinder from them.

Last edited:
We sent in a 50-year-old scope a few years ago. We inherited it from an old family member.
Not only did they "FIX" it the updated all the working parts reimbursed us for shipping and gave us the history of the scope. Who first bought is and if there was any other service on the scope. With an old one, it was kinda nice to get the original scope back looking and working better than new. All in about a month.

Don't know if it's true or not but heard a story about a guy in Alaska years ago that found a Leupold laying in a river. H picked it u and sent it to Leupold and thy sent him a new scope so the story. If that' true I'm impressed!

I sent my leupold back a cpl times. You will not get a “refurb” unit, It’ll be your scope repaired or a new one. If yours is fixed it will include the test results and repairs completed.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back