PEAX Equipment

Which new Leupold scope for my new Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM?

WVgoodguy22

I know there are some new scope threads, but I have to ask.
For my new Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM I have narrowed the Leupold scopes I want down to pretty much three: 1.) VX-5HD 3-15 x 44 CDS ZL2 (2.) VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 Side Focus (3) VX-3i 4.5-14x50 SF CDS 30mm tube. I have a Blackhawk 20 MOA pic rail on it to add even more adjustment to the aforementioned 30 mm scopes. I am building a weapon system for western big game DIY backpack hunting out to 500 yards (the cartridge can do it, but I would have to be well practiced and confident, preferring ethical shots under 400 yards, closer to 300), but I also want to have fun and learn to ring some steel, punch paper out to 800-1000 yards.
The gun naked is 8.4 lbs, the scope weights are as follows: VX-5=19.7oz (2.) VX-3i 6.5-20x50 =21.7 and (3) VX-3i 4.5-14x50 30mm CDS= 17oz. I know ounces= pounds and one isn't like the other as far as zoom range size, I am trying to figure out what would work best for me. I also don't know if I were to go with the LRP to go with Front Focal Plane or Rear Focal Plane, or the MOA or MIL reticle? Just by looking at them the MIL doesn't clutter up my scope as much as MOA, I know those are both different from the Duplex and BDC reticles that I have used and would really have to dive in and learn the system with either. The other two scopes I would go with the Windplex reticle, my brother likes it on his VX-3i 4.5x14x40 CDS.
I know that there is a bunch of fans of the above mentioned VX-5HD, but my 3rd choice is more budget friendly, but not by too much and the LRP is more specialized, but I have seen many longer range hunting set ups with one on top of it. The hunting aspect of it is what I more interested in, even though I currently will only get one western trip a year being from West Virginia and not having the time and income to go more. There also isn't a bunch of 800-1000 yard ranges around, but I can drive an hour and a half to one and my uncle plans on building a 600 yard one soon. Which one do you think would fit me and my needs best?

If you can swing it the VX5 is a clear winner. Better glass, better coatings, zero lock - vx3 is nice but vx5 is a big step up. As for reticles, I would go duplex, windplex, firedot or illumMOA. No need for BCD with CDS, just dial for elevation. For hunting, I would stick to sfp and MOA.

It all comes down to personal preference. As far as FFP or SFP, I went with SFP so the retical isn't changing sizes. It's difficult to see the reticle when zoomed out on first focal plane. If you use yards, use MOA, if you use Meters, use Mils.

It all comes down to personal preference. As far as FFP or SFP, I went with SFP so the retical isn't changing sizes. It's difficult to see the reticle when zoomed out on first focal plane. If you use yards, use MOA, if you use Meters, use Mils.
That is very true, I tend to over think things and get stuck. But at least I narrowed it down to 3 models/sizes. I am not a tournament target shooter, so I agree the Second or rear focal plane is what I am use to in my hunting scopes. I use yards, so MOA it is, I could get use to the Christmas tree if I did go the LRP route. Thanks you.

If you can swing it the VX5 is a clear winner. Better glass, better coatings, zero lock - vx3 is nice but vx5 is a big step up. As for reticles, I would go duplex, windplex, firedot or illumMOA. No need for BCD with CDS, just dial for elevation. For hunting, I would stick to sfp and MOA.
Thanks from what I have read in the forums it would be worth saving the extra $150 or so for the VX-5HD. I am not in a giant hurry since my brother has let me use his Redfield Revenge 4-12x40 for now, but I want to upgrade that scope to what I had in mind for my .300 WSM when I bought it, then move the Redfield to my Savage A17 that I recently got. My neighbor has the VX-5HD in 2-10x42 with the Firedot reticle on top his Christensen Arms .450 Bushmaster, definitely a nice scope and I like the reticle, but probably would go with the Windplex for crosswind holdovers if I can get the Vx-5HD. I only mentioned the BDC reticle since that is what my Nikon Monarch 3 3-12x42 and the P-223 4-12x40 both have. With the CDS I wouldn't worry about it a BDC, as has been said about the CDS, click point shoot.

I live out west and have hunted out west for 50+ years. I do not understand why people thinking about hunting out here think they need a rifle scope combo capable of 500yrs shooting? My 6.5x55 will do pretty much everything I need out here day in and day out! Last three elk were killed with a 30-06 and I was at no disadvantage to any magnum cartridge! My favorite deer rifle out here, Central Ore, was a mod 660 in 308 w/2 3/4x Redfield scope for a lot of years. Son has that rifle now and I have the scope on a 30-06 I use for elk. You will never see an animal at any range that you have to shoot at, taking the shot is a choice you make. In the last 30 years all my shot's but one were around 200 yds or less and I filled tags every year. Took one shot at 330 measured yds and then realized the only reason I did it was to say I did.

Read about it all the time, this big magnum and that super scope and then people get out here and shoot most their animals at 200 yds or less. I used the mod 660 in Montana also along with a 7x57 and a 7mm Rem mag. Both 7mm's had 4x fixed scope's on them, they never cost me a shot! If you spot a deer out here at 500 yds and stand up and wave at it, it will pretty much stand there and stare at you! And around here there are plenty of place's you could shoot a far more than 500 hundred yds.

Lot of people really take on a lot more rifle and scope than they actually need to hunt the west. Or course if your simply wanting to shoot 500 yds shots then the 30-06 was shooting 1000 yds long before any of the whomper stomper magnums showed up! BTW, I am not really a big fan of the 30-06. The one I use now is the only one I have ever hunted with. But I do recognize it as a very fine hunting cartridge. I do shoot better with my lesser cartridge's with less recoil! I don't hunt with any scope over 3-9x and prefer my 2-7x's and fixed much more. The preconceived notion that you need a big magnum and huge scope to hunt out here successfully is bogus.

I live out west and have hunted out west for 50+ years. I do not understand why people thinking about hunting out here think they need a rifle scope combo capable of 500yrs shooting? My 6.5x55 will do pretty much everything I need out here day in and day out! Last three elk were killed with a 30-06 and I was at no disadvantage to any magnum cartridge! My favorite deer rifle out here, Central Ore, was a mod 660 in 308 w/2 3/4x Redfield scope for a lot of years. Son has that rifle now and I have the scope on a 30-06 I use for elk. You will never see an animal at any range that you have to shoot at, taking the shot is a choice you make. In the last 30 years all my shot's but one were around 200 yds or less and I filled tags every year. Took one shot at 330 measured yds and then realized the only reason I did it was to say I did.

Read about it all the time, this big magnum and that super scope and then people get out here and shoot most their animals at 200 yds or less. I used the mod 660 in Montana also along with a 7x57 and a 7mm Rem mag. Both 7mm's had 4x fixed scope's on them, they never cost me a shot! If you spot a deer out here at 500 yds and stand up and wave at it, it will pretty much stand there and stare at you! And around here there are plenty of place's you could shoot a far more than 500 hundred yds.

Lot of people really take on a lot more rifle and scope than they actually need to hunt the west. Or course if your simply wanting to shoot 500 yds shots then the 30-06 was shooting 1000 yds long before any of the whomper stomper magnums showed up! BTW, I am not really a big fan of the 30-06. The one I use now is the only one I have ever hunted with. But I do recognize it as a very fine hunting cartridge. I do shoot better with my lesser cartridge's with less recoil! I don't hunt with any scope over 3-9x and prefer my 2-7x's and fixed much more. The preconceived notion that you need a big magnum and huge scope to hunt out here successfully is bogus.
I can absolutely respect what you have spoke/written upon. I am sure that I am over thinking things as I usually do. I may be trying to accomplish two COMPLETELY Different shooting tasks in ONE rifle instead of buying another rifle set up for learning some long range target shooting and have this one for hunting. Mostly because of a tight budget (although those scopes one wouldn't consider budget, especially the VX-5 and LRP). I know there are some nice "target" type rifles that can be had for a decent price though.
I actually remember telling my brother when he was looking for a scope for his early 2000s Savage Model 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, he was going to get a big high mag scope and add one of those plastic cheek welds with the big turn knobs on it. That he would do all this and end up shooting his mule deer at 200 yards. He did shoot one at 418 yards with his .270 and pinned it down, he wanted to get closer but couldn't. I wanted him to save weight as well. But here I go with a 8.4 lb rifle and thinking of putting a 6.5-20x50 scope on it.
I have seen quite a few western hunters that live there use a heavy rifle with a big scope as well, bipod included, but they are usually in that 25-45 age range. I had an older gentlemen tell me that an guide for elk would be really happy to see a new western hunter to come out with a FIXED 6 on his rifle so he wouldn't be tempted to shoot at unethical distances. I myself don't want to shoot at an animal at 500 yards, preferably under 400 even under 300. Which in that case the Redfield 4-12 would work well. I shot my .270 at 400 yards with a 4-12x42 with a BDC and did okay. I need more practice.
I don't think the .300 WSM is a large womp em stomp em Magnum, I didn't go with the .300 Weatherby Magnum or the .300 RUM or any of the .338s. I have a .270 Win which was my only rifle for 20 years and I wanted something different and larger whether .284 or .30 cal. I know I could load 150s in my .270 Win, but wanted to add to the arsenal for fun. If I would have seen a lightweight .308 Win for the same kind of deal that I got with the Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM I might have went with that instead, and stay in that 4-12 or 4.5-14 range. My rifle does have a muzzle brake, but I have yet to shoot it without a lead sled to see the recoil, I have shot my Dad's .300 Win Mag and it doesn't have a brake.
Thank you sir I do appreciate your very experienced input and will take the big 6.5-20x50 scope and move it off or down the list. Save that size for a target rifle only.

From a hunting standpoint the 6.5 min power is way too much.
Next thing ya know an elk/deer/whatever pops out at 20 feet. All you see is fur!
Is that a nose, or it's butt????

And shed some weight!
That's a heavy rifle to be lugging around!
It's completely different where we are at less than 3,000 ft above sea level. You get out to 7,000 ft and start climbing air runs out pretty fast!

I have run against the prevailing thought regarding scopes for my entire hunting career. The first 40+ years my scope was a Redfield 4X on a Rem. 700 .270Win. It was very rare that a shot over 300 yards was necessary. Most of the shots were 200 yards or less. Years ago I killed a whitetail buck so close his image was blurred, ten yards at most. I crawled that close to him with a thirty to forty mile wind in my favor. Actually, I had put the sneak on some other deer bedded in a stubble field. I only saw him when I got ready to shoot at a different deer. At first I thought his rack was just weeds sticking out of the stubble.

A couple of years ago, I came across a Leupold Fx3 6x42 scope and swapped out the Redfield. I prefer the simplicity of the fixed power scope and for big game, 6x is plenty of magnification.

The OP mentioned a desire for DIY backpack hunting. High on my priority list would be the weight of rifle and scope. You'll be packing the rifle a lot more than shooting it.

From a hunting standpoint the 6.5 min power is way too much.
Next thing ya know an elk/deer/whatever pops out at 20 feet. All you see is fur!
Is that a nose, or it's butt????

And shed some weight!
That's a heavy rifle to be lugging around!
It's completely different where we are at less than 3,000 ft above sea level. You get out to 7,000 ft and start climbing air runs out pretty fast!
I agree with that on the 6.5, most of the time around here in the Appalachians I have it set on 3 or 4 and have only had to dial it up to 9 or 12 if they’re at 300 yards which is rare. I had buyers remorse mostly because of the 8.4 lbs. I was looking at a Tikka in .300 WSM forever ♾ and even a .308, but I have never shot a magnum in a 6 lb rifle. When I saw that BudsGunshop had the new Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM for $565 down from $900 I jumped on it and put it on a 90 day layaway. I am striking the 6.5-20x50 off the list. They do make a 4.5-14x50 in the LRP, but it’s only an ounce lighter.

I spent quite a bit more, but got a 6 lb Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Enough cartridge for almost anything in Norte Americana.

Due to me using different bullets and bullet weights for different game i opted for a Sightron Field Target 4-12X40 with MOA reticle.
When US Optics makes their TS12-X with an MOA reticle, i'll own one of those!!

I spent quite a bit more, but got a 6 lb Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Enough cartridge for almost anything in Norte Americana.

Due to me using different bullets and bullet weights for different game i opted for a Sightron Field Target 4-12X40 with MOA reticle.
When US Optics makes their TS12-X with an MOA reticle, i'll own one of those!!
I am going to guess and say that the Forbes 24B is a custom company rifle, which is definitely cool 😎 for those that know exactly what they want and can swing it. I was looking at the .280 Rem and Ackley Improved, and even the 7mm STW, but since my brother and I have .270s and he has that 7mm Rem Mag that I mentioned to you that he is having issues finding a consistent load for. I decided to go up to a .30 cal.
I have looked at both those optics companies online but have never handled either one.

Which ever way you go, check with Schmalts on here. He can get you a heck of a deal!

Forbes would be Melvin Forbes. His company is now NULA. New Ultra Light Arms. And he's based out of West Virginia.

A new model of NULA will run you in the neighborhood of $3,500-5,000.

Obviously mine is not new.. Lol

Which ever way you go, check with Schmalts on here. He can get you a heck of a deal!

Forbes would be Melvin Forbes. His company is now NULA. New Ultra Light Arms. And he's based out of West Virginia.

A new model of NULA will run you in the neighborhood of $3,500-5,000.

Obviously mine is not new.. Lol
Oh okay that is pretty cool considering that I am from West Virginia and I know you are from PA. Ouch that is 10 x what I can afford. lol ... Some year I will have a job where I can if I want. Yes I have heard that Schmalts is the place for optics especially Leupold. Thanks again.

I didn't say i bought new! Lol

I contacted US Optics about offering their lower powered TS line with MOA reticles.
If they do, one will be on order!!

I didn't say i bought new! Lol

I contacted US Optics about offering their lower powered TS line with MOA reticles.
If they do, one will be on order!!
I know you probably got it for 40% off new price, I was commenting on the new price but I did see where you said that you bought it second hand.

Sweet deal I hope that they do. I think I get those available to me on Expertvoice. I did see a booth of them one time at a gun show, but never approached the rep. I don't want to bother someone when I can't afford it. I know Leupolds can be rather pricey too, but like you said you can find deals with the right person.

Ummm, yeaaahhhh... Try 66% off new price. Bought for $995 plus the usual taxes & background.

The US Optiics TS12-X is MSRP in the $500 range.

Ummm, yeaaahhhh... Try 66% off new price. Bought for $995 plus the usual taxes & background.

The US Optiics TS12-X is MSRP in the $500 range.
Wow no wonder you couldn't pass that heck of a deal on that sweet custom rifle. Always nice to find deals like that out there.

Not bad at all, pretty much where I would be somewhat comfy cost wise on a quality optic. I always like learning new things and checking out new gear, including something that isn't a mainstream brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back