Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What to do with the yotes you shoot?

What do y'all do with yotes when you shoot one?

• Save the pelt & keep it for personal use

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Save the pelt and sell it (eventually)

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Taxidermy the whole critter

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Leave it where it lay. Yotes are varmints & full of fleas, yuck!

Votes: 36 36.0%

• Total voters

thatsjet

I plan to get out yote hunting as much as I can over the next two months and I've been watching videos on pelt harvesting and... whew... seems like a lot of work for not much return. I'm thinking of keeping my first couple if I get some, just to say I've done it, but in the long term probably just leave them where they drop to feed to rest of the forest critters.

Okay then, questions.
1) Do y'all mostly pelt them out in the field or wait til you get home? I was thinking I could just take a gimbrel with me into the field and hang it from a tree then I don't have to dispose of the carcass in nefarious ways back in the city limits.
2) I've heard yote pelts are pretty thick and last a while without tanning. If I flesh them out, salt, and stretch them how long will they last in a cold shed do you think?

Okay then, questions.
1) Do y'all mostly pelt them out in the field or wait til you get home? I was thinking I could just take a gimbrel with me into the field and hang it from a tree then I don't have to dispose of the carcass in nefarious ways back in the city limits.
2) I've heard yote pelts are pretty thick and last a while without tanning. If I flesh them out, salt, and stretch them how long will they last in a cold shed do you think?
2 - they will last till summer when the bugs come out.

I skin at hime cause a heated garage is much nicer then the winter. But carcass disposal is easy for me they go back to my snaring bait piles

I skin and put up 90% of the coyotes I shoot. A few with mange or mites will get transported and disposed of without being skinned. I don't like shooting coyotes that aren't prime but have made exceptions when landowners who allow me access ask for my help removing coyotes causing problems during calving season.

One of the guys that hunts with us on our south Texas place has a 12 year old son who shot one with his bow a couple weeks ago, he skinned it and cooked the back straps over the campfire....and he ate it. I did not not partake though the young man did generously offer. 🤮

I find it very satisfying to skin them out, flesh, stretch and sell. I enjoy cleaning up the fur while it's drying and getting a little $$ for doing something I love to do, but that's just me.

The skulls look really neat boiled down and bleached white.

I've got one tanned, and I also have a pedestal mount of a big male I shot years ago, looks really good

I voted for sell since that's what happens to the majority of mine. But honestly it's a combo of all except the taxidermy option. I only leave a coyote if it's real bad. If you don't have a good area to skin and dispose of carcasses near you then you should definitely do it in the field and save yourself some hassle. This is the only coyote I left this season.20201215_094929.jpg

I voted for sell since that's what happens to the majority of mine. But honestly it's a combo of all except the taxidermy option. I only leave a coyote if it's real bad. If you don't have a good area to skin and dispose of carcasses near you then you should definitely do it in the field and save yourself some hassle. This is the only coyote I left this season.
WOOF! That's one ugly doggo. You did him a favor.

Back